hi - excessive thirst

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
its gone back to 13.9 this morning, i hope it doesnt start going up again, i had a snack before bed last night spam and cheese on a couple of small crackers..looks like thats another thing thats going out the window...

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be disheartened, just keep on keeping on for now. You will get there. It could well be the crackers, try not to have carbs last thing before bed. It could also be that your liver is dumping out more of its stored glucose, and that's a good thing. :) 13.9 is still a massive improvement on a few days ago. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If you can withstand it, do away with the pre bedtime snacks Carl or just boost dinner a little . Again, just for now ... process of elimination 'til we work out what you can tolerate but as @zand said, could be a few associated issues in all that.

Reactions: 3 people

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After just having some ribs for lunch, my BG is down to 10.8.. i reckon it will be back to normal by the weekend, im a happy bunny at the moment :) if i get back to normal by the weekend ill celebrate by baking some cookies with my soya flour and might even crack open a can of bitter :p

Reactions: 6 people

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
zand and mike,and everyone else that has been keeping up with my thread your support has really helped me get this far and i thank you for that ;)..i was really upset when i saw my first test results, now im happy with my progress its amazing how much difference this lchf diet has made, im glad i found this forum.

out the window has gone most of the things i enjoyed but didn't know i shouldn`t be eating
sugary energy drinks
sugary soda
biscuits
crisps
potato
high carb snacks
sweets
bread

carl

Reactions: 9 people

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In such a short time what a turnaround.A clear vindication of an LCHF approach if ever I saw one.

There are alternatives to those things you previously enjoyed.

Diet soda's. I avoid aspartame and acsesuflame k nasty stuff.But if you look around quite a few diet drinks use sucralose instead.Sainsbury's diet lemonade and diet cola use sucralose.They are nice too.
Instead of crisps try pork scratchings which are virtually carb free,beef jerky or walnuts are good to snack on.
Check out sweets made by "Sula" lots of different types and sugar free, no aspartame either.Dark chocolate can be low carb, Aldi do an 85% chocolate 4.6g carbs for two big squares.Trust me you will learn to love it.
Aldi also do a high protein roll 11.5 g carb per roll.I can get 4 slices out of one for sandwiches,toast,French toast etc.Or you can slice one up really thinly and bake em in the oven for melba toast type crackers.Great with cheese or pate!
As for beer that is a toughie.Coors light is the lowest readily available beer I have found at 7.5g per can.I was not really a lager drinker but hey.Many low carbers stick to dry red wine or basic spirits with diet mixers for a tipple.

Hope this helps.
Watching your progress with interest.
Cheers.

Reactions: 2 people

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi zand...bg has been up and down the last couple of days,it went up to over 15 again but this afternoon it was 11.9 was taken aback a bit when it went back up.. but this afternoons result it has dropped again

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi zand...bg has been up and down the last couple of days,it went up to over 15 again but this afternoon it was 11.9 was taken aback a bit when it went back up.. but this afternoons result it has dropped again
The overall trend is still down and that's what matters. As long as the lows are getting lower and the highs are also lower than they were last week then you are getting there. :)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Perseverance Carl, is everything .... you're doing the right thing, trust me. We all get there by one means or another but you've latched on to this stuff pretty quickly :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Wow talk about hittin the ground running!! Good work.
I also advocate LCHF.In my case it took about 3 months to get my BG to near normal.My personal theory is that it takes a while to remove excess glycogen stored in muscles and especially the liver,and to improve insulin resistance.(Others may know more about this).
I guess what I am saying is it is a marathon not a sprint.My advice would be to check out the " what have I eaten today " thread for ideas.It helps to have as much variety as possible in a low carb diet so it is enjoyable and therefore sustainable.
Some ideas.All types of cheese,salami type meats,all types of pates,walnuts,almonds,hazlenuts,full fat yoghurts and cottage cheese,tinned fish,and Lidl do a great high protein roll which is low carb.People are very inventive with ideas to the extent that I really enjoy my new eating regime.Even if some of my meal combinations are a little off the wall.Before I forget home made Hungarian Goulash is low carb and fabulous.You may be doing a lot more cooking from scratch.
Anyway before I stray too much from the point ..... Really well done.
Hi Redsnapper, You put all that in a post very informative I do agree with you with the foods you mentioned.:)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
its gone back to 13.9 this morning, i hope it doesnt start going up again, i had a snack before bed last night spam and cheese on a couple of small crackers..looks like thats another thing thats going out the window...
Hi thirsty_monsta, I don't think it was the cheese think it was the crackers. Crackers raise my BG readings a bit. Sometimes at night I have cheese on crackerbread or rivitas I am fine with these try and then test see what happens.:)

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bg was 16 again this morning...i had a snack last night, which i obviously cant have its a seed bar

Redsnapper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey.Still doing great.Don't be disheartened.Remember about a week ago you were in the mid twenties, now you are in the mid to low teens.
We are all different and each of us can be sensitive to different things.Some can tolerate a little porridge for example whereas others find this sends their BG rocketing.It's trial and error.There are carbs hidden in some surprising places,sneaky little blighters! My motto is read the food labelling on everything and for anything non packaged check it out online before I eat it.
You will soon become an expert.
More importantly how do you feel? I guess being at 26 was not good,so how is your mood etc?
Keep it up

jziggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was really thirsty until I cut out bread and potatoes and if I eat them just once, I notice the thirst coming back again. I have been having grilled bacon, poached egg and fresh tomatoes for breakfast, a salad with meat or fish at lunchtime and lots of vegetables and meat in the evening. I have lost weight easily, even with the bacon and eggs. I was a 14 when I first used a meter and now I have been as low as 5. I have a treat now and then but it shows straight away if I am naughty as I will need to get up in the night.

Reactions: 4 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on what you have done so far and your levels are amazing from what you were but as advised slowly is better when you are cutting carbs. You are eating the right sort of foods maybe a bit more in the way of green vegetables though kale, spinach, cabbage, sprouts and salads. If you want to try some bread again there is Burgen Linseed and Soya sliced loaf a lot here have that it's available from most supermarkets also if you have a Lidl near you they do a protein roll that is a firm favourite here people who could not eat any other bread have them without raising their blood glucose. Good luck with your further progress you are doing just fine

Reactions: 4 people

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Back to 10.8 today :) and thats after chinese...i had wonton soup and mixed meat foo yung...no rice or noodles

Reactions: 6 people

thirsty_monsta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ive got used to this diet now, got chicken casserole with soya flour dumplings for dinner today..ill see what bg is like after that :)
bg this morning was 10.8 and this afternoon it was 10.5 and this evening before dinner is 10.3..
breakfast is usually bacon and eggs one way or another, i try to change the way i have them, to stop it getting boring
lunch is usually a couple of slices of corned beef and a couple of slices of haslet, with a few cubes of cheese and a beetroot

Reactions: 5 people