Hi I’m new here

AkinBee1

I am a 64 year old black man with recently uncontrolled Type 2 Diabetes.
I am learning from this forum and a team of great nurses covered by my insurance provider, and have improved on my control.
I use the Freestyle Libre (14 day), and it has proven quite accurate when I have standardized it with finger pricking blood testing devices, two of which are highly rated in the seminal study of these devices in the US.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Welcome to the forums, what's your plan for getting it under control?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a 64 year old black man with recently uncontrolled Type 2 Diabetes.
I am learning from this forum and a team of great nurses covered by my insurance provider, and have improved on my control.
I use the Freestyle Libre (14 day), and it has proven quite accurate when I have standardized it with finger pricking blood testing devices, two of which are highly rated in the seminal study of these devices in the US.
Hello @AkinBee1 ,

Welcome, and hopefully you'll get the T2 under control right-quick. The Libre should give you insane amounts of information, and the sooner you change your diet -assuming it is safe to do so, so no insulin or gliclazide-like medication to keep an eye on- you should be able to do just that. Glad you've got excellent insurance, I've heard quite a few horror stories about the opposite. It's so nice to have support from the pro's! :)
Let us know if you need anything eh!
Jo

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum, there's lots of advice and opinions here to think about. I was diagnosed three months ago (I'm about the same age as you) and I've found the low-carb approach has worked quickly well for me - the symptoms are gone or going, weight dropping, and blood glucose seems to be back to the normal level (confirmation due next month). If I can do it, anyone can.