Hi!

mattink74

Hi I'm Matthew. I've had diabetes for 2 years now and thankfully on a path towards it improving via insulin. However, I recently had my first hypo attack twice (I'm hyper but new meds significantly reduced blood sugar count fast)

At a critical moment for a job (design test) the hypo kicked and scuppered my chance. My heart aches about it. I had no idea what hypo does. As sad as I am, I'm looking forward and moving on. Still hurts that this condition can really affect life this much. I'm better prepared now. Glad to be here

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!

sorry to hear about your design test. Is it worth reaching out to explain and see if you can have a 2nd chance?

mattink74

Hello!

sorry to hear about your design test. Is it worth reaching out to explain and see if you can have a 2nd chance?

Hi Andygragon,

I wasn't sure until yesterday when it happened again that it was hypo shutting me down. I put it to creative block and nerves including a bad day (trains got cancelled on me too and had to drive there in tough traffic) including be late due to trains cancelled... As you can see it was a really bad day lol. I tried to explain in email, but apparently I delivered such a terrible job (Im really not that bad honestly) they didn't want to progress. I knew at the time something was off, I couldn't get my head right, I was trembling, confused, couldn't even explain myself on presenting the terrible effort, couldn't understand why I even delivered what I did. Totally out of character. For 2 weeks I sat dumfounded as to what happened to me, making no sense at all of it until yesterday. Its too late to request another try. So gutted, it was perfect for me. I hadn't found something so perfect in many years. So I am continuing on freelance and will try get my startup kicked off. It was definitely a life changing moment as the contract was one design file away from being signed. If I mail them now and explain, they may think Im some sort of weirdo :) Will just have to count my sorry loss, even though I know they have rejected a further 95 people since booting me and still looking for Matthew :D

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andygragon,

I wasn't sure until yesterday when it happened again that it was hypo shutting me down. I put it to creative block and nerves including a bad day (trains got cancelled on me too and had to drive there in tough traffic) including be late due to trains cancelled... As you can see it was a really bad day lol. I tried to explain in email, but apparently I delivered such a terrible job (Im really not that bad honestly) they didn't want to progress. I knew at the time something was off, I couldn't get my head right, I was trembling, confused, couldn't even explain myself on presenting the terrible effort, couldn't understand why I even delivered what I did. Totally out of character. For 2 weeks I sat dumfounded as to what happened to me, making no sense at all of it until yesterday. Its too late to request another try. So gutted, it was perfect for me. I hadn't found something so perfect in many years. So I am continuing on freelance and will try get my startup kicked off. It was definitely a life changing moment as the contract was one design file away from being signed. If I mail them now and explain, they may think Im some sort of weirdo :) Will just have to count my sorry loss, even though I know they have rejected a further 95 people since booting me and still looking for Matthew :D
I understand what you are saying and I am sorry to hear of the issues you had. It is true that they may just see you saying it was a hypo as an excuse to try and get back in, even though it is true. So I’m really sorry it went bad

it is always possible that it would have turned out to be not as good as you believe. I spent years trying to get my “dream job” and ended up hating it. Unfortunately it is often human nature to believe missed opportunities would have been amazing. Not that actually it might have been awful

you have to get your health right. Now you know the symptoms and that they are happening hopefully you can keep on top of them and manage it

mattink74

True, my friends have said the same. I know that the possibility of it being the worst is also true. Lets call it divine intervention :) as it was my first Hypo. My meds were changed recently and have dropped from 280 to 136/150 quickly since. So it was inevitable. I just didn't expect the hypo my doctor spoke of to happen so soon and she didn't quite explain what exactly happens either. Great learning curve and onward and upward to more clients and eventually another great opportunity. Thank you for your kindness

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. It really helps if you can self-fund a Libre sensor and a Miao Miao. I couldn't imagine managing blood sugars and insulin without them. I get plenty of warning my blood sugars are going up or down which gives me time to react.

mattink74

I have a Freestyle Precision Neo. Will investigate a Miao Miao. At the time of Hypo blunder, my Neo was at home. I haven't been in a crisis to have to carry it since now. Thanks for info

mattink74

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience. It really helps if you can self-fund a Libre sensor and a Miao Miao. I couldn't imagine managing blood sugars and insulin without them. I get plenty of warning my blood sugars are going up or down which gives me time to react.

Ok just checked what it all is. Defo a good idea thanks!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

I'm really really sorry that your clinic/doctor didn't give you enough help/info about hypos.

As a general rule - if you are on insulin you should always have some kind of blood sugar measurer with you (whether cgm or a glucometer). You should also ALWAYs have some kind of glucose equivalent with you. A hypo attack can make you more than confused, it can send you unconscious without sugar.

If you drive a car, always test before driving, as a hypo at the wheel can kill others as well as yourself.

Finally, can I ask what kind of diabetes you have? If T1 or T3c then there's no choice, insulin is your friend and lifesaver. If T2 then you have more choice - insulin is your friend if you wish to continue with a modern high carb diet but is not necessarily your friend in the long term because T2s suffer from insulin resistance and an excess of insulin.

Good luck, and here's hoping that you forestall any future bad hypos.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Freestyle Precision Neo. Will investigate a Miao Miao. At the time of Hypo blunder, my Neo was at home. I haven't been in a crisis to have to carry it since now. Thanks for info

Hi Matt - The Freestyle Libre isn't the same as the Precision Neo, so the MiaoMiao isn't likely to be compatible. Have a look around at the Freestyle Libre. Some have found it life changing, with the information suddenly at their fingertips.