Prediabetes High BG 1 hour after eating, much lower after 2 hrs

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
From what I’ve read I understand that ideally the BG level 2 hours after eating should be less than 2mmol/L more than the per-meal reading. I cleared out the freezer at the weekend and found some homemade soup which I had for lunch, with a piece of buttered bread. My BG readings were:
Before eating 5.2
1 hr after 10.6
2 hrs after 6.1

I think the soup was butternut squash/red pepper (it was unlabelled!) and together with the bread was expecting it might give me a BG result that wasn’t ideal. I was surprised it had dropped down quite a lot after 2 hours though.

What I’d like to know please is whether such a high spike at 1 hr is still a concern, if at 2 hrs the reading is within the range of less than 2mmol/L more than the pre-eating reading?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You are going by the advice for full on diabetics anyway - I don't think you need worry too much.
Reducing the carbs by setting a maximum for each meal, avoiding snacks of high carb foods and keeping an eye on levels should - with any luck, result in a reversal with all tests trending lower over time.

Reactions: Hooty

Hooty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Resurgam , I’ve cut out a significant amount of carbs (which has made me realise how carb-based my diet used to be!) so hope I’m heading in the right direction. I just wasn’t sure if the results from that meal would indicate foods to be avoided.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The basic problem is just how much we are pushed towards a high carb diet even if we are diabetic the advice seems to be avoid sugar, in many instances, with little said about starches.
I can't hold out much hope of my own situation improving unless I push really hard - but I suspect that I was heading for diabetes decades ago, every time I was given yet another low fat low calorie diet sheet it was another step towards the event horizon of the black hole that diabetes can be.
Hopefully if you can alter your diet to be low carb - swapping the highest carb foods for some significantly lower will hopefully give you some room for a good variety day to day. Personally I will not grieve if I never eat another baked potato - I find cauliflower cheese far tastier.