High BG 3 days after COVID vaccine (AZ)

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my AZ vaccine on 27/02 and the next day while the reading were a little high they were all within 6.8, then yesterday they were in high 6 but still did not cross 7 but today its consistently in 7 and has even gone to 8.4 at times.

Bizzare as it may sound but today when reading is high and I eat some nuts or a bit of cheese the readings come down but if I don't eat anything the reading keeps climbing up.

Has anyone else faced something similar after getting vaccinated?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210302-150700_DiaBox.jpg
    Screenshot_20210302-150700_DiaBox.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 164

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

What does the meter say in comparison with the reading on Diabox?
Take a test & count 3 or 4 dots back on the graph?

I also nitice a couple of brief jumps in the reading too? Though it appears on a steady line..

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

What does the meter say in comparison with the reading on Diabox?
Take a test & count 3 or 4 dots back on the graph?

I also nitice a couple of brief jumps in the reading too? Though it appears on a steady line..

I have been taking finger pricks all along and they are consistent with the readings on DiaBox. The jump around 8.30ish was after shower but like you said it's pretty consistent after that. The drop in graph is after I ate nuts...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been taking finger pricks all along and they are consistent with the readings on DiaBox. The jump around 8.30ish was after shower but like you said it's pretty consistent after that. The drop in graph is after I ate nuts...

OK, that rules out the sensor.. I see little jumps like that (On xdrip.) if the sensor is on the same arm i cut wood with using a hand saw. Or sometimes putting pressure on using a drill??
Sometimes pending on tight multi layered sleeving, labouring out doors..

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah the sensors are fine for sure... infact the xdrip readings using miaomiao too are consistent to this graph.

My body temp was 37.7 this morning at about 10 ish... so I didn't go ahead with my fasting day and broke fast with Flaxseed Porridge and had 500mg paracetamol. The reading since that screenshot is below 7.6 and currently reads 6.2 ... I did sleep for about 2hrs... maybe that has helped.

What puzzles me a lot though is how the BG came down after eating nuts... could it be that body is fighting the virus and in doing so sending signal for energy requirements to liver and liver not finding incoming supplies goes ahead with a liver dump but when we eat and supply comes in and so it stops doing that... or maybe am just reading too much into the drop after eating.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to keep the story updated:

The post vaccination upheaval of my BG is still persisting. Although I now know for a fact that when it's going up, if I have a bit of cheese and some nuts it puts a break on the upward trend and slowly brings the numbers down.

Why? - I have no idea.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to keep the story updated:

The post vaccination upheaval of my BG is still persisting. Although I now know for a fact that when it's going up, if I have a bit of cheese and some nuts it puts a break on the upward trend and slowly brings the numbers down.

Why? - I have no idea.

I have a theory. But i could be off whack?

T2 is about insulin resistance.
If I remember correctly you do some pretty long fasts?
Possibly the breaking of the fast (appreciated chees & nuts would have a nominal effect.) has triggered a significant response from the pancreas, this your body metabolises the excess in the blood stream?

Incidentally, I've had the AZ vax earlier. I don't do breakfasts. My BG started rising just before I stepped up for my appointment..

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my AZ vaccine on 27/02 and the next day while the reading were a little high they were all within 6.8, then yesterday they were in high 6 but still did not cross 7 but today its consistently in 7 and has even gone to 8.4 at times.

Bizzare as it may sound but today when reading is high and I eat some nuts or a bit of cheese the readings come down but if I don't eat anything the reading keeps climbing up.

Has anyone else faced something similar after getting vaccinated?
I’ve had 6.5 all day which given when I last ate would usually be more like 4.5. I had the jab on Saturday and it’s been increasing over the days since then

Ive had Pfizer which I know isn’t AZ, however having the vaccine and your body’s immune response is not unsurprising for blood level increases: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/coronavirus-vaccines

so I think it’s to be expected

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I remember correctly you do some pretty long fasts?

Yeah I do several extended fasts and follow routine of alternate day fasting so my body may very well be reacting to a modest stimulus package of cheese and nuts in the way you explained. :)

Whatever it is, I just hope I can get it over with soon enough. The higher range numbers are beginning to shake my confidence.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

agwagw

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I had my 1st covid vaccination 3 days ago. The last two days I have been a steady 10mM BG despite more than doubling my Novorapid (almost no carbo). I suspect it's a body reaction as if during an infection.

Hopefully will stabilise soon - certainly glad I've had the jab!

Reactions: nutribolt

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: nutribolt