High BG after 3 hours ???

Mushroom

Hi - low-carbing and still getting used to testing with the meter. Can anyone explain a high result 3 hours after dinner?

Breakfast
Before breakfast (2 egg, butter, 2 bacon) 6.8
After 6.3 - OK
Lunch - none - busy shopping

Dinner
73g leaves/spinach, 50g celery, 17g walnuts,110g homemade chicken tikka, 2 tbl Pizza Express House dressing
Make that approx. 24 carbs?

Before dinner: 5.7
2 hrs after: 7.9
So thought I would test again after 3 hrs: 8.6 (!)
Then did 10 minutes exercise on stepper and tested again after 4hrs: back to exactly 5.7.

Why did I go even higher after 3 hours, just over NICE 'safe' guidelines?
- miscalculated number of carbs?
- protein takes longer to turn to glucose (but then it put me over the limit anyway?)
- should have eaten at lunchtime? Liver overcompensated?

I am dieting and know this was not enough calories yesterday anyway. Usually eat more than that.
Any thoughts on the three hour level would be appreciated.
Thank you, Mary

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Mushroom, odd highs and lows are not uncommon especially before you get your control stabilised, carbs and to a lesser extent protein will affect your bg levels but so will a lot of other factors, things like exercise, gentle exercise will generally lower your bg where as hard physical exercise will generally raise your bg levels especially in the short term. Any illness or bug even if you are unaware of it can raise your bg levels, as can certain hormones that are released naturally by the body.

Try not to stress yourself over the odd high or low, only if a pattern emerges over several days/weeks should you be concerned and investigate further. Even stress itself can elevate bg levels so it can become a vicious circle - you get a high reading - you worry about it - your levels go higher still.

It seems a lot to get your head round but it does get easier over time :thumbup:

Mushroom

Sid Bonkers. Thanks for the reply and information. Very helpful. I am learning that it's not an exact science - a bit frustrating. Like to see cause and a direct effect.
My concern was that the 8.6 was after 3 hours after eating and not the standard two. I thought I was OK as the reading after 2 hours was 7.9 and thought the meal was suitable.
I can see that perhaps worrying about the first reading may well have contributed to the three hour 8.6!!
Thank you, Mary