High BG Bouts

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys

I'm confused & need help. So I've suffered severe bouts of anxiety including now that restricts my appetite but my HBAC1 was normal at 49 in January.

I've had a lot of stresses in past few months with family deaths, health worries & issues relating to work & childcare from lockdown impact as well as struggle with lockdown itself.

However in past 2 weeks or so I've experienced what I think are high BG symptoms mainly in evening eg stomach upset & bad trapped wind. My question is can you experience bouts of high BG symptoms especially after stressful periods or does it mean I need insulin?

Sorry to sound childish but I really dread going on insulin as I was on it when pregnant with my 16mo & really struggled with it.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys

I'm confused & need help. So I've suffered severe bouts of anxiety including now that restricts my appetite but my HBAC1 was normal at 49 in January.

I've had a lot of stresses in past few months with family deaths, health worries & issues relating to work & childcare from lockdown impact as well as struggle with lockdown itself.

However in past 2 weeks or so I've experienced what I think are high BG symptoms mainly in evening eg stomach upset & bad trapped wind. My question is can you experience bouts of high BG symptoms especially after stressful periods or does it mean I need insulin?

Sorry to sound childish but I really dread going on insulin as I was on it when pregnant with my 16mo & really struggled with it.
Your symptoms sound like metformin side effects to me, actually... But that's just a wild guess. Stress can affect the gastro-intestinal tracks too, after all. Are you on met? Also, we can only stab in the dark if you don't measure blood glucose. If you have *symptoms* of being high, you should check and see whether you actually are. Otherwise, there's no way or ruling anything out. Keep in mind that a panic attack can feel a lot like a hyper, and these past months have been stressful for everyone.... Though for some, like you, more than for others. (I am so sorry you've gone through all that!). Stress raises blood sugars, but it doesn't automatically mean insulin. For a "regular" T2, rather than someone trying to carry a child to term, it really is a last resort.

So.. Two questions: Can you check your blood glucose? If you've been on insulin, surely you have a meter about? Check before a meal and 2 hours after, you're aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol. If you're low on strips, go for dinner, as that's the meal preceding your bad experiences. Second question, what are you eating? High carb, moderate or low carb? A HbA1c of 49 is technically just past prediabetic, and into the diabetic range. You've probably already seen this but still: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Insulin is NOT a foregone conclusion.
Good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Antje77

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your symptoms sound like metformin side effects to me, actually... But that's just a wild guess. Stress can affect the gastro-intestinal tracks too, after all. Are you on met? Also, we can only stab in the dark if you don't measure blood glucose. If you have *symptoms* of being high, you should check and see whether you actually are. Otherwise, there's no way or ruling anything out. Keep in mind that a panic attack can feel a lot like a hyper, and these past months have been stressful for everyone.... Though for some, like you, more than for others. (I am so sorry you've gone through all that!). Stress raises blood sugars, but it doesn't automatically mean insulin. For a "regular" T2, rather than someone trying to carry a child to term, it really is a last resort.

So.. Two questions: Can you check your blood glucose? If you've been on insulin, surely you have a meter about? Check before a meal and 2 hours after, you're aiming for a rise of no more than 2.0 mmol. If you're low on strips, go for dinner, as that's the meal preceding your bad experiences. Second question, what are you eating? High carb, moderate or low carb? A HbA1c of 49 is technically just past prediabetic, and into the diabetic range. You've probably already seen this but still: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html

Good luck!
Jo
Hi

Firstly so sorry for my delayed reply & u have defo helped calm an anxious mind. What u said made do much sense I've been on tablets since diagnosed 3yrs ago i didn't think they could be cause of my issues. So I'm trying to adjust them a little.

I'm usually on 2 in morning then 2 at night so yesterday I went to 1 at night & touch wood it was a comfortable night with just 1 or 2 stomach grumbles. Ironically I noticed today I was suffering daytime symptoms so may reduce my morning ones to see how I feel. Fingers crossed it is them but if issues persist I'll do blood testing

It being a tablet issue also makes sense as I've been extra vigilant in my eating as I had retinopathy scare but thankfully eyes had clean bill of health this week so was just my anxiety again, my limited appetite from my anxiety bouts as well as not noticed the usual obvs signs of high BG I'm used to eg fatigue. But I will see how things go

Anyway thanks again you really did help.

hughinoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Good luck!
Jo
I never saw your blog before now it's great ill keep a link to it x