High Blood Glucose after taking correct amount of insulin

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello again!

I've just come back from a 2 week trip away where my blood glucose was going ok for the most part (slightly higher here or there but no higher than 15, I was trying to prevent hypos from happening). Since I returned on Monday, my insulin seems to be doing absolutely nothing at some of my meal times.

For example, before dinner on the 31st I was 14.1 (slight spike after hypo recovery) and then 3 hours later I was 23.4 and had to take a correction dose. It eventually went back down. 13.3 before breakfast on the 1st but never came down. 13.8 before lunch, 21.6 2 hours later and had to correct again. Today I was 11.6 before lunch now I'm 20.8 2 hours later and had to correct again.

I've not changed anything, same carb/insulin ratio, same amount of Abasaglar before bed, no snacks between meals unless need be. It literally just started doing it this week after my holiday (not sure if that has anything to do with it?) and I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what could be going on?

It's making me feel really down because I was making such good progress...... Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Were you away in a hot country? If so, was your insulin stored in a fridge? My DSN told me to throw away insulin I'd taken abroad, as it could be off due to the heat.

Are you now using a new batch of insulin? It could be a faulty cartridge/pen, so try another to see if it's any better.

It could be that you are coming down with an infection but don't yet have symptoms.

D

Deleted Account

Have you changed your insulin or are you using the insulin that you took away with you?
I ask as it may have been damaged during your trip and not as potent.

Whenever, I get unusually high readings I check my insulin, pen and myself (it could be stress and/or illness)

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was actually in Iceland, Toronto, and NYC so all pretty cold. I figured at first that it could be my insulin so I swapped it out for a vial I had kept at home in the fridge. It's what I used today but spiked to 20.8 after lunch.

Could be myself, I suppose. Potential illness/stress that I don't know about yet?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I need way more insulin when I'm high already than when my bg is in range. I tend to take a correction first, wait until it's gone down to a reasonable number and only then eat. Doesn't always work out of course, especially when eating involves more people than just yourself. Sometimes I put the food I planned to eat back in the fridge for another day and switch to something like eggs, onions, any greens I happen to have in the house and meat or cheese, if my diabetes is behaving particularly difficult that day.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was actually in Iceland, Toronto, and NYC so all pretty cold. I figured at first that it could be my insulin so I swapped it out for a vial I had kept at home in the fridge. It's what I used today but spiked to 20.8 after lunch.

Could be myself, I suppose. Potential illness/stress that I don't know about yet?

It could just be that your basal needs rose significantly. I've had this happen before, especially after I've gone travelling or done something different in my routine. Obviously I'm not giving medical advice since I can't do that, but you might just need to increase your basal insulin dose until things return to normal.

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It could just be that your basal needs rose significantly. I've had this happen before, especially after I've gone travelling or done something different in my routine. Obviously I'm not giving medical advice since I can't do that, but you might just need to increase your basal insulin dose until things return to normal.
I've been adjusting my basal recently anyway so it may be worth just putting it back up for a bit and see if it helps. I'll give it a go tonight.

Thanks!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Different lifestyle for 2 weeks can still knock our bodies when coming back to normal living..

Plus fact it could be after travels that your body is adjusting still it timezones, plane (germs after plane journeys are quite prevalent)...

Please dont forget that any levels higher than 12 can need extra correction insulin to be given...

Basal testing now is good idea..

Reactions: indyjholtzmann

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Happened to me last week did exactly the same as the day before but bs 20 and higher!!!
Dont worry no two days are the same just add extra insulin on that day it will get better but we are.not perfect. Good luck

Reactions: indyjholtzmann