high blood sugar

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks ,but what does the abreviation of 4 to 7 stand for ? What does that change to ? I am trying to cut carbs but , I must still be eating the wrong ones. I eat very small meals all day. Going for check up today. Again thank you.
The units used in UK are mmol/L, There are converters on this site to convert UK to US levels, such as:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

Hope this helps

TomGreen101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Why would you stop eating egg yokes? It is a fallacy that eggs cause raised cholesterol. That is old science these days. The majority of our cholesterol is made naturally by our livers. Very little comes from the foods we eat. Eggs are good for you. I eat between 2 and 3 eggs a day, boiled, poached or fried. Then there are omelettes. There are again hundreds of threads on the forums about cholesterol, and also about eggs. A search should find them for you.

Again, your cholesterol measurement units are not the ones we use in the UK so I have no idea what yours is!

Have a look at this thread, which may help you with low carbs stuff.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/

and also at this
http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
Very true!
Sandy ask your Doctor about going on a slow acting insulin like Lantus. That is designed to level out your sugars once you figure out the right dose.
I know some people have high cholesterol no matter what you eat. I eat eggs every day and my non medicated cholesterol is perfect and always has been. The bad news is I had quituplet bypass about a year ago.

Sandy@3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very true!
Sandy ask your Doctor about going on a slow acting insulin like Lantus. That is designed to level out your sugars once you figure out the right dose.
I know some people have high cholesterol no matter what you eat. I eat eggs every day and my non medicated cholesterol is perfect and always has been. The bad news is I had quituplet bypass about a year ago.
Thanks

boronursey

Fasting blood sugars are the last thing to lower on a controlled carb diet. You might want to talk to your doctor about metformin if you are not already on it. What is high? Without actual numbers it is hard for people to give advice. Also what is your diet like, what do you eat? Welcome to the forum and explore the threads. In particular look up dawn phenomenon. I will also tag @daisy1 to send you the information package all newcomers receive.
Hi

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very true!

Tom, Sandy is not an insulin user according to his profile. He is on Metformin. This is the first line of treatment for Type 2. There are several other lines of treatment before insulin is prescribed. Insulin is the last resort

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thst is why I suggested talking to his Doctor. Insulin isn't evil, it is a God send for diabetics .

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
What is it with people who keep wanting to push us onto insulin without looking at alternatives first. i have often got this 'good advice' and to be frank (or george) I dont't give a **** to quote that film. Not everyone is as keen to go down that path if they do not need to.
I have dropped my average bgl from 15 down to 6mmol/L and have reduced my medication in the process. I am currently running on a further reduction this week, and i continue to get good results. I am not unique, and others here are also reporting similar experiences so please don't be so quick to condemn us to a one way ticket when we may not require such treatment at this stage.

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm female sorry forgot to say that. After my doctors appointment, found out all my problems are from a diuretic. I was placed on this for 6 months. Finally getting better, thanks to everyone who responded. I have learned a lot.
Great News. Happy outcome.

JenniferG

Try having a tablespoon of braggs apple cider vinegar before bedtime

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

I've read stories that vinegar only works to effectively lower the glycemic index / load of food.. but ultimately all those carbs are digested. So it might help with spikes but not overall insulin levels over the day? Does it help to take on an empty stomach at bedtime? e..g say you ate dinner at 6PM and go to bed at midnight.

Thanks! interested.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've read stories that vinegar only works to effectively lower the glycemic index / load of food.. but ultimately all those carbs are digested. So it might help with spikes but not overall insulin levels over the day? Does it help to take on an empty stomach at bedtime? e..g say you ate dinner at 6PM and go to bed at midnight.

Thanks! interested.
Think what you say here is basically correct. There are many sites that claim a 100% cure for diabetes using Cider or Apple vinegar. The name Dr Kenneth Pullman comes to mind. He is neither a Dr. or associated with Stanford University, and he is out to take your money. If you google quackwatch cider diabetes, you will find others.

Having said that, Jason Fung does recommend the use of cider. His explanation is basic GI lowering, and is written up as:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/the-benefits-of-vinegar-hormonal-obesity-xxviii/

Since Jason is not advocating a cure, and not charging directly for his 'secrets', then I have more confidence in his appraisal. Personally, i tried it once, and only once. Not for me.

JenniferG

Think what you say here is basically correct. There are many sites that claim a 100% cure for diabetes using Cider or Apple vinegar. The name Dr Kenneth Pullman comes to mind. He is neither a Dr. or associated with Stanford University, and he is out to take your money. If you google quackwatch cider diabetes, you will find others.

Having said that, Jason Fung does recommend the use of cider. His explanation is basic GI lowering, and is written up as:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/the-benefits-of-vinegar-hormonal-obesity-xxviii/

Since Jason is not advocating a cure, and not charging directly for his 'secrets', then I have more confidence in his appraisal. Personally, i tried it once, and only once. Not for me.

When I eat salad, it loaded with veggies with some slow GI carbs, as well as one roma tomato (which is pretty small). I eat lots of olive oil and vinegar with it. So I guess the vinegar might help with the gastric load of the salad a bit.. especially the tomato. So I'm getting the vinegar there.. usually eat one salad a day.

Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I eat salad, it loaded with veggies with some slow GI carbs, as well as one roma tomato (which is pretty small). I eat lots of olive oil and vinegar with it. So I guess the vinegar might help with the gastric load of the salad a bit.. especially the tomato. So I'm getting the vinegar there.. usually eat one salad a day.

Thanks for the reply.
Its no problem. I just wanted to prevent others being scammed. My wife fell for it, which is how i know. Salad dressings and mayo are normal use for vinegar. Vinegar on fish and chips is probaby less likely to be reported on this forum.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thst is why I suggested talking to his Doctor. Insulin isn't evil, it is a God send for diabetics .
Insulin is not a God send for a T2. It is the cause of insulin resistance; giving more and more of that stuff is cosmetics for the lab work but does not tackle the underlying problem.

The God send for T2's is to reduce insulin resistance. That is mostly done by dietary measures in cnjunction with exercise. I would suggest to look at low carb high fat diet (lchf). www.dietdoctor.com is a good starting point as is the Diabetes UK low carb programme. You can combine this with intermittent fasting (IF) or a period on the Newcastle protocol.

For most T2s this will do the trick although there are a few who do not respond well to lchf +/- IF.