High blood sugars.......advice please

perrywinkle

Im Diabtic type 2 diet only for the last six months. Lost over stone in weight. HBa1c 6.3, and cholestrol 5.3 was 5.5 six months ago. At reveiw today Doctor has started me on simvastatin as he says the cholestrol is too high for a diabetic and need to come down to the 4's.
I also suffer from dreadful sweating especially at night when I find my sugars run high. Doctor dosnt think this is Diabetes related but reading the forum it seems to be for lots of people.
Fasting bloods this morning were 8.6 at 7.30am. I am concerned by my blood sugar variance as it can go up to 13 after food. Doctor is not happy that I have bought meter and am checking my blood myself, seemed uninmpressed with my diary which indicated high readings, and said the HBa1c is more significant. I am under alot of stress at the moment and he attributes the high sugar levels to that rather than the food. Any advice?

benyu

I have been told by the nurse that deals with my diabetes that stress can cause high blood glucose readings. As far as your doc not being happy about you having a glucose meter I suspect he/she could be concerned that you are diagnosing yourself and making assumptions about your condition and worrying when there is no need.
However my thoughts are (and everyone/docs have a different idea) that you should be able to monitor what your blood glucose is doing. You are getting a high reading in the morning so you need to think what am I doing to cause that, perhaps taking your medication at a later time and that is just an example.

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
perrywinkle said:
Im Diabtic type 2 diet only for the last six months. Lost over stone in weight. HBa1c 6.3, and cholestrol 5.3 was 5.5 six months ago. At reveiw today Doctor has started me on simvastatin as he says the cholestrol is too high for a diabetic and need to come down to the 4's.

My cholesterol was 4.8 and I was also put on statins. A lot of people have had side effects from Simvastatin, so if you suddenly start to have muscle/joint pains go back and ask him to change it something else.

I also suffer from dreadful sweating especially at night when I find my sugars run high. Doctor dosnt think this is Diabetes related but reading the forum it seems to be for lots of people.

I also used to suffer a lot from sweating a lot but that was before I was diagnosed, don't sweat that much any more. No idea why though, maybe I did have high BG before I was diagnosed.

Fasting bloods this morning were 8.6 at 7.30am. I am concerned by my blood sugar variance as it can go up to 13 after food.

Some people, including me, have found out that a snack about an hour before going to bed helps with the "down phenomenon" effect. If you don't know what that is, do a google search, it just might help to bring down your fasting BG level.
Doctor is not happy that I have bought meter and am checking my blood myself, seemed uninmpressed with my diary which indicated high readings, and said the HBa1c is more significant.

Some Docs seem to be dead against T2's testing for different reasons main one being that strips are expensive and it comes out of their budget. My GP encouraged me to test and find out what I can and cannot tolerate. He put them on repeat prescription on the day he gave me the news, after two years I still get one box a month without having to ask for them.

I am under alot of stress at the moment and he attributes the high sugar levels to that rather than the food. Any advice?

Stress does raise BG levels as does food with sugar and high carbs. Try to relax and look at your diet. Eat to your meter, it will show you what and how much of certain foods you can eat. If you can afford it, keep on buying the strips and test without mentioning it to your GP. Once you know what you can eat you can then reduce the number of times you test to save money.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
hi Also test 4 times a day and keep a note of every one of them .All of a sudden you can just about guess your levels before you taes .Then you really know what is affecting you .Ihave been doing this for 20wks now and it really i worth doing . :D JF

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
perrywinkle said:
Fasting bloods this morning were 8.6 at 7.30am. I am concerned by my blood sugar variance as it can go up to 13 after food. Doctor is not happy that I have bought meter and am checking my blood myself, seemed uninmpressed with my diary which indicated high readings, and said the HBa1c is more significant. I am under alot of stress at the moment and he attributes the high sugar levels to that rather than the food. Any advice?

A HBA1c is only an average reading over the past 90 days approx. It is useful in seeing your overall control, but it shows nothing of your day to day readings.

If you are diet controlled only then it's important you know this is still working for you, it's important if this no longer is working then you can realise this as soon as it starts to happen, not months later when your HBA1c is starting to rise!

You have a HBA1c which keeps your doc happy, so your doc should give you strips to keep you happy, fair exchange i think!

Ilness and stress can cause BG's to be slightly elevated so your Doc is right on that one.

Dawn phemomenon can be quite tricky, as mentioned it'd be a good idea to read up on it and try a few tips that have been posted on here.

Also good job with the weight loss!

good luck :)

dib

Also be wary about the cholesterol control and use of statins. My HCP's have relaxed their view over the past 5 years and overall levels of 5 - 6 are now thought to be completely normal, (mine was down to 3.7 at one point, I am now off them as level before statin was 5.5) this view seems to be filtering through the minds of the medical community now. There is lots of research and books to be read about the subject to help you make your own decision about taking them.