Type 1 High Blood sugars after breakfast

Geordie Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos/high blood sugars
Does anyone else have really high blood sugars after breakfast? I can wake up with a reasonable reading of 7 at 7 am, inject 3 units Humalog for 30g porridge or bread, blood sugar rises rapidly to 15 and then slowly comes down to about 10 then rapidly goes down to around 4 at midday. Haven’t managed to work out how to stop the high.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Does anyone else have really high blood sugars after breakfast? I can wake up with a reasonable reading of 7 at 7 am, inject 3 units Humalog for 30g porridge or bread, blood sugar rises rapidly to 15 and then slowly comes down to about 10 then rapidly goes down to around 4 at midday. Haven’t managed to work out how to stop the high.

You seem to be using a 1:10 ratio? Are you on fixed doses? Have you been instructed to vary the ratio/dose?

I typically use a higher ratio for breakfast than lunch and evening meals.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Injected insulin isn't like a normal person's insulin - it has a fixed curve over 5 hours and doesn't match the food you are eating. If your dose is correct, you would expect it to return to the pre-meal levels 5 hours after eating (yours was 3 mmol/l lower). On DAFNE you learn if you want to eat normally, then ignore the spike.

Geordie Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos/high blood sugars
Thanks for your reply. I do usually ignore the high but it makes me feel rotten when my blood sugars are in double figures .

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am actually wondering if your basal is the issue. Surely by mid day the bolus has probably run out, so why the rapid drop? Many people have an issue with the dawn phenomena in the morning where their bg rises because the liver dumps sugar to help with the day's activity. I would expect to need more bolus then just to cope with that.

@Geordie Girl what's your bg level doing at night? Also, how long are you waiting between your breakfast injection and your breakfast. It might pay to try to leave a longer gap....