High Blood sugars!!!

livesey99

Hey all, i'm a type 1 diabetic and have been for almost a year
when i first started my blood sugars were always between 4 and 6, but only recently have they started to rise. I still test 4 times a day and i've started to give myself lots more insulin for just basic meals as well as larger ones, but it still stays high!
please help :/

C

catherinecherub

Not a type1 but will bump your post up in the hope that a type 1 will answer.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
what kind of insulin do u take..premix/basal bolus?
can u give us a idea of a typical days food and readings?
hope to be able to help :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You could also add WHEN you test to the info......

Welcome to the forum BTW. :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hello livesey!

Just wondering if you are coming out of the honeymoon period as your insulin requirements are increasing along with increased bg. Some type 1's insulin producing beta cells recover after diagnosis and this is why you injected smaller amounts of insulin thus far, the honeymoon period can last months or even years in some cases but no two patients are the same so this may be a possibility with yourself.

Your best bet would be to get in touch with your diabetes nurse and discuss your control, keep a record of the carbs you eat with every meal, insulin dose and your postprandial bg readings so the nurse can advise further, it might be that your basal insulin may need to be increased also but just wait until you see the nurse.

Nigel

livesey99

Thanks for all replying back :)

the insulin i take is Nova rapid (daytime) and Levimier(night time).
my daily diet usually includes...
Breakfast- Cereal or a bacon sandwich
Lunch- Sandwich or bagel with crisps
Dinner- usually some sort of pasta dish

my blood averages from..
Morning- 9.5
Noon- 11.0
evening- 8.5
night- 13.5
although recently i have increased both insulin types and have seen a good result.
but one more problem i have is when my sugars go low, and i eat a small piece of chocolate just to stabilise it, it goes all the way up to 20!
can anybody explain?