High bloods on a morning

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been experiencing very high bloods on a morning since probably around Christmas. 9 plus and more recently 11 +.
My diet is not sufficiently changed and if I exercise for example they drop even at times below 4. We have a adopted two kids in the past year and my sleep patterns have changed, rarely get a night of unbroken sleep my thoughts are this is a contributing factor.

Any thoughts?

I have a meeting with nurse at end of the month, not looking forward to that as I have a feeling my tests aren't good.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
My diet is not sufficiently changed and if I exercise for example they drop even at times below 4. We have a adopted two kids in the past year and my sleep patterns have changed, rarely get a night of unbroken sleep my thoughts are this is a contributing factor.

Stress definitely pushes blood sugar levels up. Are you on any meds? Hypos shouldn't really happen if you're not o hypo causing medication. (Assuming you don't have RH).

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have been experiencing very high bloods on a morning since probably around Christmas. 9 plus and more recently 11 +.

Sorry, should have put this in my first post. While those levels are a bit higher than normal, it's pretty common for diabetics (not just T2s) to have issues with morning blood sugars. The dawn phenomena means that your liver pumps out sugar first thing in the morning (got to get out there and chase that mammoth). T2s get high bgs because they can't tell the liver to only do low carb sugar deliveries, T1s suffer because they need more insulin at that time of day and they generally don't have it unless on a pump.

Om the other hand, if nothing has changed and your levels are going up despite low carbing, it might be time to double check that you are in fact T2 and not a slow onset T1. Some T2s also start producing less insulin because high bgs have damaged their insulin producing cells. It might be time to request a cpeptide test (checks how much insulin you are producing).

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks for that. I am on meds 4mg glimpiride and other meds for cholesterol as well. I will see what the nurse says when I speak to her.

I typically have salads at lunch for example and a an evening meal about 5. I might look at moving them around and see if that has an affect. Managing stress is difficult as well, kids certainly don't help there or lockdown for that matter

But take for example my blood sugar this morning was 11.5 then went bout on the bike for an hourly ride. Dropped to 4.1

My average seems to be 7.8 at moment on the kits

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Lack of sleep also can cause higher BG levels.
Moderate exercise reduces BG levels, more vigorous exercise can either also reduce it, or increase it - dependent upon your liver dumping more glucose into your bloodstream.
I think that 4.1 after vigorous exercise is not necessarily a problem unless it stays low.