Serum cholesterol level 9.8 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 3.7 mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels 0.9 mmol/L [< 2.3]
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 2.6
Serum LDL cholesterol level 5.7 mmol/L

JULY 2017
Serum cholesterol level 5.5 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 2.6 mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels 1.8 mmol/L [< 2.3] (not fasting)
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 2.1
Serum LDL cholesterol level 2.1 mmol/L

These results seem to be a mix of very good and very bad. My GP will go berserk! I really don't know how to think about them.

My A1c was 37, down from 41 in 2017, 40 in 2016, and equal to the 37 I scored in 2015 and 2014. Not the 31 I'd like to see, but not an emergency either.

Please has anyone else had cholesterol results like this, and what did you do about them? I am seeing my GP on Thursday and I am sure she will again be pushing statins.

Reactions: suki2016

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just checked and the current favourite marker for risk, "Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 2.6" seems good.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/cholesterol-to-hdl-ratio-calculator.html says under 4 is good. Mayo clinic says under 3.5.

Questions:
  1. Was this a fasting test?
  2. Are you currently eating LCHF?
  3. Are you currently losing weight?
There is certainly a big jump between the tests, and your total cholesterol is quite high (don't think I have been quite that high myself) but the overall ratios seem fine.

So I would look for an explanation for the high total but I would (personally) resist any suggestion of statins because of the good overall ratios.

Both your LDL and HDL are way up from last time so something is going on, but it doesn't seem to be something bad.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Questions:
  1. Was this a fasting test?
  2. Are you currently eating LCHF?
  3. Are you currently losing weight?
Yes, it was a fasting test.
Yes, I am eating LCHF, probably under 30 and certainly way under 50g carbs.
Not sure if I am currently losing weight. At the moment I have a problem with oedema which makes it difficult to know, but my impression is that by eating HF and plenty of protein I am now stable. I have lost a lot over the past few years and my current weight is under 8 stone (under 112lbs). Current bmi 16.2, which is considered unhealthy. IMO I am heading for LADA but my A1c is not bad enough for my GP to accept that I have a problem with my bg. I have always refused statins and I intend to continue to do so, but these results have put me in a weak position.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I can see it is your LDL that is higher than the standard range, and also you have elevated HDL. (HDL should be between 1.2 and 3.5. Yours is above 3.5).

From what I have read, elevated HDL is likely to indicate your LDL is mainly the large fluffy type that is the good desirable part of LDL, but only a test that separates the particle sizes of LDL will confirm this. These tests are available but are not done routinely in the UK (they should be) but you can always ask for one, or look to see what is available privately.

https://www.docsopinion.com/health-and-nutrition/lipids/ldl-p/

https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/121187-overview

Elevated HDL levels are associated with low levels of very low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (VLDL) and triglyceride (TG) levels. LDL-C levels may be within the reference range or elevated. Persons with HALP do not have any unusual clinical features, and the condition should not be considered a disease entity but rather a fortuitous condition that can increase longevity because of the associated decreased incidence of CHD. [3]

Biggles2

Please has anyone else had cholesterol results like this,

Hi @Alexandra100, Dave Feldman (another engineer with metabolic issues who is looking at metabolic dysfunction from an engineering/systems perspective) has written a lot about this and has also done a lot of testing on himself (the proverbial n=1).

He uses the term 'hyper-responder' for those whose results are similar to yours. Here is a link to his hyper-responder FAQ page:
http://cholesterolcode.com/hyper-responder-faq/

Reactions: Struma

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
JANUARY 2018
Serum cholesterol level 9.8 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 3.7 mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels 0.9 mmol/L [< 2.3]
Serum LDL cholesterol level 5.7 mmol/L

JULY 2017
Serum cholesterol level 5.5 mmol/L
Serum HDL cholesterol level 2.6 mmol/L
Serum triglyceride levels 1.8 mmol/L [< 2.3] (not fasting)
Serum cholesterol/HDL ratio 2.1
Serum LDL cholesterol level 2.1 mmol/L

These results seem to be a mix of very good and very bad. My GP will go berserk! I really don't know how to think about them.

My A1c was 37, down from 41 in 2017, 40 in 2016, and equal to the 37 I scored in 2015 and 2014. Not the 31 I'd like to see, but not an emergency either.

Please has anyone else had cholesterol results like this, and what did you do about them? I am seeing my GP on Thursday and I am sure she will again be pushing statins.
Here are my results with mmol/L converted into mg/dL:
JANUARY 2018
Serum cholesterol level 9.8 mmol/L = 379
Serum HDL cholesterol level 3.7 mmol/L = 143
Serum triglyceride levels 0.9 mmol/L [< 2.3] = 80
Serum LDL cholesterol level 5.7 mmol/L = 220
JULY 2017
Serum cholesterol level 5.5 mmol/L = 213
Serum HDL cholesterol level 2.6 mmol/L = 101
Serum triglyceride levels 1.8 mmol/L [< 2.3] (not fasting) = 159
Hi @Alexandra100, Dave Feldman (another engineer with metabolic issues who is looking at metabolic dysfunction from an engineering/systems perspective) has written a lot about this and has also done a lot of testing on himself (the proverbial n=1).

He uses the term 'hyper-responder' for those whose results are similar to yours. Here is a link to his hyper-responder FAQ page:

Thanks, that's extremely interesting and yes, I do think I am a hyper-responder. Not sure where that takes me, though.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here are my results with mmol/L converted into mg/dL:
JANUARY 2018
Serum cholesterol level 9.8 mmol/L = 379
Serum HDL cholesterol level 3.7 mmol/L = 143
Serum triglyceride levels 0.9 mmol/L [< 2.3] = 80
Serum LDL cholesterol level 5.7 mmol/L = 220
JULY 2017
Serum cholesterol level 5.5 mmol/L = 213
Serum HDL cholesterol level 2.6 mmol/L = 101
Serum triglyceride levels 1.8 mmol/L [< 2.3] (not fasting) = 159
@Alexandra100

Have you considered taking an LDL particle size test? That could put aside your concerns.
Good idea, but do you know what exactly I should ask my GP for? My other idea is to ask for a repeat test in 3 months, as I have recently undergone 15 days of continuous AF plus started Apixaban, then changed to Dabigatran and have been taking Furosemide for a swollen ankle, any/all of which may have raised my LDL and my A1c. Leaving aside my strong reluctance to take a statin, it seems to me it would be very poor medical practice to add in yet another new drug to this poly-pharmacy!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would definitely ask for another test in 3 months, and push for this if the GP is awkward.
I don't know the actual name of the LDL test, but it is done at the same time as a normal cholesterol and lipid panel test, and looks at the actual size of the particles inside the LDL. I have seen other forum members report that have had this test. GPs don't do it routinely because it adds to the cost.

I have no idea whether your drugs affect cholesterol, or whether the continuous AF will have some effect. Maybe a bit of Googling, or a Pharmacist could help.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Good idea, but do you know what exactly I should ask my GP for? My other idea is to ask for a repeat test in 3 months, as I have recently undergone 15 days of continuous AF plus started Apixaban, then changed to Dabigatran and have been taking Furosemide for a swollen ankle, any/all of which may have raised my LDL and my A1c. Leaving aside my strong reluctance to take a statin, it seems to me it would be very poor medical practice to add in yet another new drug to this poly-pharmacy!

With that much messing about it isn't surprising that you are getting unusual blood results.

The good news, of course, is that the ratios are all fine so there is no case for you to go on statins and you should wait until things have settled down before you make any major decisions.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With that much messing about it isn't surprising that you are getting unusual blood results.

The good news, of course, is that the ratios are all fine so there is no case for you to go on statins and you should wait until things have settled down before you make any major decisions.
Thanks very much. Another factor may be that the 15 days of AF plus 2 days and nights of adverse reaction to Furosemide inevitably messed up my exercise routine.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would definitely ask for another test in 3 months, and push for this if the GP is awkward.
I don't know the actual name of the LDL test, but it is done at the same time as a normal cholesterol and lipid panel test, and looks at the actual size of the particles inside the LDL. I have seen other forum members report that have had this test. GPs don't do it routinely because it adds to the cost.

I have no idea whether your drugs affect cholesterol, or whether the continuous AF will have some effect. Maybe a bit of Googling, or a Pharmacist could help.
Furosamide and Apixaban both carry quite a high risk of raising bg, which is why I asked to be changed onto Dabigatran. Unfortunately there is no alternative to Furosemide if one needs a really effective diuretic. I am hoping to be referred to the local Lymphoedema Service as a better way to address this problem. I am not convinced that Dabigatran is innocent of raising bg (maybe they just don't admit it) but it does work in a different way to Apixaban, so it may be OK. All this has taught me that on the whole drugs manufacturers and health professionals do not think it matters if a drug raises bg, so it behoves us to be very careful and inquisitive.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks again for this. I have now burrowed further into this brilliant site and is has somewhat reduced my anxiety.

caroline_92

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I actually don't think people need to worry about cholesterol.

You need cholesterol to function and it is not something to demonise. There is no increased risk of death with ‘raised’ cholesterol levels and quite a lot of ‘push’ for statins which are worth billions to the pharmaceutical industry.

The level of triglycerides in your blood do matter and they need to be low (<1.7) as high levels of triglycerides interfere with insulin processes. High carbohydrate and fruit diets leads to higher levels of triglycerides, as the liver converts any unneeded starches (eg from too much fruit) and sugars into triglycerides.

Your TriG levels look great!

Reactions: Arlmy

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The level of triglycerides in your blood do matter and they need to be low (<1.7) as high levels of triglycerides interfere with insulin processes. High carbohydrate and fruit diets leads to higher levels of triglycerides, as the liver converts any unneeded starches (eg from too much fruit) and sugars into triglycerides.

Thanks very much! However in past years I had even lower trigs on an HC vegetarian, almost fruitarian diet.

Arlmy

Furosamide and Apixaban both carry quite a high risk of raising bg, which is why I asked to be changed onto Dabigatran. Unfortunately there is no alternative to Furosemide if one needs a really effective diuretic. I am hoping to be referred to the local Lymphoedema Service as a better way to address this problem. I am not convinced that Dabigatran is innocent of raising bg (maybe they just don't admit it) but it does work in a different way to Apixaban, so it may be OK. All this has taught me that on the whole drugs manufacturers and health professionals do not think it matters if a drug raises bg, so it behoves us to be very careful and inquisitive.

Morning Alexandra100

Have your GP considered other diuretics like spironolactone or bumetanide

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
healthy nutrition is enough to keep your cholesterol on normal level

Firstly this post is over 2 years old and secondly you could not be more wrong. What is 'healthy nutrition' in your view anyway? I eat an extremely healthy diet and my cholesterol is higher than what YOU call a 'normal' level.

Reactions: Tophat1900

RickyJol3

I actually don't think people need to worry about cholesterol.

You need cholesterol to function and it is not something to demonise. There is no increased risk of death with ‘raised’ cholesterol levels and quite a lot of ‘push’ for statins which are worth billions to the pharmaceutical industry.

Yeah, that's exactly I was thinking of while reading this thread! Cholesterol level is important, but sometimes it's more important to look on inner causes of your condition, not just numbers... I've recently discovered a great article on https://fruitfulkitchen.org/ and it's all about healthy diet, special excersises you may inclue in your daily routine. This article implies info about a book which suggests how you can fix the damage you've already caused your organism. I've read this article as I was hoping to help my granny to prevent stroke condition and possible heart attacks. In fact, now she feels better and grateful for all suggestions this book gives Maybe, you'll also find this article useful for your cases.

Last edited: