High Cholesterol Item On BBC Breakfast now!!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Malcolm Kendrick the report lead author on the red settee...

... BMI now saying cholesterol could be good for us....and what's new?:)

This was a meta review of the literature and research.

Prof Pearson...the opposing voice of course disagreed and said there was amazingly incontrovertible evidence from a study of over 1 million people....but the study was funded by big Pharma:) as Kendrick pointed out:)

Kendrick has a terrific book full of acerbic wit...I read it bout 6 weeks ago, The Great Cholesterol Con:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
He was on Radio 4 prior to 0800 hrs as well. He couldn't be more straight talking if he was a Yorkshireman! :) ;)

Like me... Eee bi gum:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Great Lindy51, now the entire community can see it:) Kendrick was so good:)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Although I've read both of Kendrick's books and value what he has done, he didn't come over clearly enough in comparison with the BHF guy. The discussion needed more time and Kendrick left some open questions. I'd like to see a Horizon type program focussing on just this subject with him and others presenting their positions.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well until he is accepted by the whole medical profession and everyone else as being right nothing will change. As the Professor said only a minority agree with Dr Kendrick compared to the tens of thousand of doctors world wide who do not agree with him so he has a difficult job to persuade all of them

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. Although I've read both of Kendrick's books and value what he has done, he didn't come over clearly enough in comparison with the BHF guy. The discussion needed more time and Kendrick left some open questions. I'd like to see a Horizon type program focussing on just this subject with him and others presenting their positions.

That would be good wouldn't it. These media pieces always go for the "balance" in 3 mins:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30". Lifelong migraines and hay fever gone.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well until he is accepted by the whole medical profession as being right nothing will change. As the Professor said only a minority agree with Dr Kendrick compared to the tens of thousand of doctors world wide who do not agree with him so he has a difficult job to persuade all of them

Do you think the situation is slowly changing?

I'm a newbie of less than 3 months and wet behind the ears...but I get the impression that there is some movement:)

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think the situation is slowly changing?

I'm a newbie of less than 3 months and wet behind the ears...but I get the impression that there is some movement:)

I really have no idea if anything is changing it all still seems very controversial

Reactions: 2 people

gazebo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While doctors continue to be paid for prescribing Statins and Metformin we are always going to be given a biased view. I have suceeded in getting my HBA1c down to 45 and my cholesterol to 5.5 without any medication just having ahealthy diet and excercise as I know many of your readers have also done. Also while the big pharmaceutical companies are preparing the data and running the trials there will also be a bias. I have not read anything to persuade me that taking a statin is beneficial for someone of my age (69)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
While doctors continue to be paid for prescribing Statins and Metformin we are always going to be given a biased view. I have suceeded in getting my HBA1c down to 45 and my cholesterol to 5.5 without any medication just having ahealthy diet and excercise as I know many of your readers have also done. Also while the big pharmaceutical companies are preparing the data and running the trials there will also be a bias. I have not read anything to persuade me that taking a statin is beneficial for someone of my age (69)

I 100% agree with you. The mighty dollar drives prescribing:)

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Well until he is accepted by the whole medical profession and everyone else as being right nothing will change. As the Professor said only a minority agree with Dr Kendrick compared to the tens of thousand of doctors world wide who do not agree with him so he has a difficult job to persuade all of them
Right now he just has to persuade me, and he has done so. I'm prepared to commit to an approach that makes more sense than following a diet that is based on sugar.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Very helpful link, thanks. I missed the programme. Also the video links to another recent interview on Sky News with a cardiologist, Dr Aseem Malhotra which is worth watching.