High cholesterol

rkeane

Hi, got my 3 months results back and was 6.4. Very happy with that. However have high cholesterol 6.2 and was very surprised as I am very strict with my diet. Felt a bit down after it to be honest. I know it has something to do with dairy products but I'm not a huge fan of dairy so am slightly confused. Any suggestions on how to get cholesterol down, what to eat/ what not to eat. p.s I exercise 4 to 5 times a week also and consider myself quite fit and active. I'm ony 27 and Type 1 for 1 yr.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What do you mean when you say you are very strict with your diet?
Remember that ~80% of the cholesterol doesn't come directly from your diet, but is made by your own liver. Your liver will compensate for the restriction in dietary cholesterol by simply making more as a by product of carbohydrates in the diet.
What you will probably find is that, contrary to what the food industry would like us to believe, if you reduce your intake of carbs and increase fat, the liver will make much less cholesterol.

fergus

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Low carb is the way to reduce cholesterol. I was amazed at my latest results
HDL 1.9
LDL 1.2 Total 3.4
Trigs 0.6
done this month
I do have a prescription for statins, but I rarely take them.
And I do eat eggs, cheese, butter and cream.

rkeane

Thanks guys for information. However I don't understand. I am strict with my diet in the way that I eat 'good fats'. I try as much as possible to avoid 'bad fats'. I thought this would lower cholesterol. Should I up my take of fats and decrease my slow releasing carbs?? As it is about the liver, does alcohol have any affect on cholesterol or how the liver works to reduce it??

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Here is an extract from The British Heart Foundation website about getting your cholesterol levels down. Some of it contradicts the advice from purist low carbers. I low carb and eat more fat and I managed to reduce all my levels. I have had Heart Surgery so I am more careful than others. It's a choice you have to make ? I use a certain amount of fibre but nothing like what is recommended here. I stick to nuts, fruit and veg.

extract:
To help reduce your cholesterol level, you need to cut down on saturated fats and trans fats and replace them with monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats. You should also reduce the total amount of fat you eat.
Eat oily fish regularly. Oily fish provides the richest source of a particular type of polyunsaturated fat known as omega-3 fats which can help to lower blood triglyceride levels and also helps prevent the blood from clotting, and help to regulate the heart rhythm.
Eat a high-fibre diet. Foods that are high in 'soluble fibre' such as porridge, beans, pulses, lentils, nuts, fruits and vegetables, can help lower cholesterol. Please see our information on fibre.
Doing regular physical activity can help increase your HDL cholesterol (the 'protective' type of cholesterol).
Will eating sterol-enriched foods help reduce my cholesterol level?
There is evidence to show that substances called ‘plant sterols’ and ‘stanols’ may help reduce cholesterol levels. They are added to certain foods including margarines, spreads, soft cheeses and yoghurts.

Here is the link to the site for the full information.
http://www.bhf.org.uk/keeping_your_hear ... terol.aspx