High Fasting Blood Sugar Levels

macker

Hi my overnight fasting blood sugar levels are around 7.5 to 8.5. This is after usually about nine hours fasting . Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce this?

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hi my overnight fasting blood sugar levels are around 7.5 to 8.5. This is after usually about nine hours fasting. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce this?
What sort of foods are you eating? If you follow a LCHF diet then your BG should fall, but the morning fasting BG level is the last to fall. If you stick with it the numbers should fall in time. Meanwhile, you could try having a small carb snack just before you go to bed. It can sometimes work by tricking your liver into not putting a glucose burst into your bloodstream in the morning. It's the bodies way of providing you with energy for the new day, which is great unless you are T2 diabetic.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm not convinced that the small carby snack before bed works to lower Dawn Phenomena. If one sleeps for 7-8 hours that snack has been and gone before dawn.

Reactions: SimonCrox

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my overnight fasting blood sugar levels are around 7.5 to 8.5. This is after usually about nine hours fasting . Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce this?

are you sure that you are actually spending the night at these levels. I regulalry gt to 7.5-8.5 for a short period in the morning following the dawn effect but I can see that the rest of the night it was under 5.00 from the freestyle.

Reactions: Guzzler

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What worked for me was to extend the fast to 12-16 hrs for a couple of days in a row...ie skip 2 dinners.

It helps to clear out the excess glycogen store in the liver...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just deleted my original post because I realised you may be on insulin. Can you share with us your medication?

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
MOST PEOPLE CAN GET NORMAL NUMBERS IF THEY EAT LESS THAN 150 GRAMS OF CARBS IN TOTAL DAILY

MANY CAN'T!!

(Sorry for the caps...trying to be a bit funny). But I eat less than 50, and often less than 20, but still get high morning readings after anywhere from 9-12 hours fast....it will usually drop after 3-4 hours though (still fasting).

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
MANY CAN'T!!

(Sorry for the caps...trying to be a bit funny). But I eat less than 50, and often less than 20, but still get high morning readings after anywhere from 9-12 hours fast....it will usually drop after 3-4 hours though (still fasting).

Try something very fatty as soon as possible after getting up. That may stop the continuation during the morning. A coffee with double cream may be enough. It was for me.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go with @Bluetit1802 post and suggest you tell us a bit about where you are in relation to meds, diet, weight and testing results through out the day. Fasting levels are often the most stubborn with DP being an added factor.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
I'm not convinced that the small carby snack before bed works to lower Dawn Phenomena. If one sleeps for 7-8 hours that snack has been and gone before dawn.

Yeah. Dawn phenomema is likely due to poor liver control of glucose over-released into bloodstream and insulin resistance. There are a few ways to improve this, exercising regularly, eat less carb to reduce liver glycogen, reducing the waistline and hence the fat around the internal organs, increasing lean body mass, and taking metformin.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
From my reading the actual mechanism which causes the increased insulin resistance and sometimes raised BSL in diabetics happens in everyone.
Cortisol and other hormones are released about 4 am or so. In non-diabetics the pancreas gland releases extra insulin in response to blood sugar starting to rise. The blood sugar stays in range.
In diabetics our ability to handle such a rise in blood sugar is compromised and shows up.