High HbA1C around 8%

Sara.1092

Hi all, I found out I’m pregnant last week after noticing my blood glucose being higher than usual,unable to keep it stable and absence of my period although the PMS. I’m always a bit panicky when I see my BG too high or when I get a hypo... I try to take short morning walks after breakfast to try to lower my BG and I noticed it spikes after breakfast but shortly after the walks it starts going down to normal levels. I have my first appoint with the diabetes antenatal clinic in a couple of days...

I have been very worried about my current HbA1C... I have been taking Folic Acid for about 6-7 months prior to pregnancy. HbA1C was actually starting to drop but as soon as that was happening, it started going up again...

I am a type one diabetic and been taking insulin for 18 years (had diabetes since I was 12). Has anyone had a similar experience? Anyone has had a high HbA1C at the start of their pregnancy?

kls5708

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I was wondering if you have any info on this. I’ve recently found out I’m pregnant and have an appointment Monday with my Team. Last night my CGM and pump were playing up and giving me wrong readings ( all changed now etc) but this morning I felt so overwhelmed about the impact of my blood sugars on the pregnancy.

I have increased my doses and hope this will help but it’s such a scary position when you hear all that could go wrong

Hayli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I would also like to find out how you're getting on. I found out I am pregnant a couple of weeks ago and woke up to a 15 reading this morning so as you can imagine the panic set in. I've had spikes most days so far, and haven't even seen any midwives or nurses yet. Im also trying to walk alot to get them down but these spikes after meals are worrying me. My overall HBa1c is estimated at 44 currently.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My overall HBa1c is estimated at 44 currently.

That, in my opinion, is an awesome level (2 T1 pregnancies but my kids are in their late twenties).

haven't even seen any midwives or nurses yet.
Have you got appointments? It sounds like you are starting at a great level so I wouldn't worry too much about an odd blip but your team should be helping you as soon as you get pregnant. (Still remember going to my team before my second pregnancy asking if I was OK to try again (they agreed I was) and then having to tell them a week later ... oops I'm pregnant already.... :))

Hayli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That, in my opinion, is an awesome level (2 T1 pregnancies but my kids are in their late twenties).

Have you got appointments? It sounds like you are starting at a great level so I wouldn't worry too much about an odd blip but your team should be helping you as soon as you get pregnant. (Still remember going to my team before my second pregnancy asking if I was OK to try again (they agreed I was) and then having to tell them a week later ... oops I'm pregnant already.... :))

:joyful::joyful: haha I bet they were like 'that was quick!' My nurse actually guessed i was before I even knew! As I had a week of really extreme hypos.
I've been trying to chase the hospital as my care will be going to their diabetes team eventually so will all be linked with maternity team there. My current team are really helpful but I think I will feel better once I've seen the midwives (fingers crossed)

I've been told not to do any corrections after food so really desperate to stop these spikes now! I've been doing loads of walking to get the numbers down but there are only so many hours in a day!

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I would also like to find out how you're getting on. I found out I am pregnant a couple of weeks ago and woke up to a 15 reading this morning so as you can imagine the panic set in. I've had spikes most days so far, and haven't even seen any midwives or nurses yet. Im also trying to walk alot to get them down but these spikes after meals are worrying me. My overall HBa1c is estimated at 44 currently.

I agree as well! 44 is a very awesome number. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and 48 is the best number I've gotten in my life! Don't get too discouraged by an occasional spike as they will happen. My nurse said it's the staying there for all day is what does the damage. And the walks after meals will definitely help. I'm finally beyond the getting spikes after meals and constantly have to be having snacks so I don't get too low after my massive meal doses

All the best in your journey.....it's not easy to have these miracle babies!! Makes you treasure them more once they're finally born! Hope you have seen the midwife now and getting excellent care

Reactions: Hayli

Hayli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree as well! 44 is a very awesome number. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and 48 is the best number I've gotten in my life! Don't get too discouraged by an occasional spike as they will happen. My nurse said it's the staying there for all day is what does the damage. And the walks after meals will definitely help. I'm finally beyond the getting spikes after meals and constantly have to be having snacks so I don't get too low after my massive meal doses

All the best in your journey.....it's not easy to have these miracle babies!! Makes you treasure them more once they're finally born! Hope you have seen the midwife now and getting excellent care

Thankyou! I've finally seen a diabetes nurse at the hospital where I plan to have the baby. She said my hba1c was 50 again which was really disappointing as my Libre is estimating 41 now! So I'm hoping it shows on the next lot of bloods. Went for an early scan privately to put my mind at rest and all looks OK so far (and only 1 baby which is a relief!) I'm not getting as many extreme spikes now which is better but still a few small highs each day. Im just trying my best to get them down as quickly as I can.

Hayli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Ps good luck with your pregnancy not long left to go now!! :)

kls5708

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My team have told me that you are aiming to be in target over 70% of the time. I was getting some high readings and getting really upset but they said they are unavoidable at times. Just trying out best to smooth the bumps. Hope everything goes well for you.

Hayli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My team have told me that you are aiming to be in target over 70% of the time. I was getting some high readings and getting really upset but they said they are unavoidable at times. Just trying out best to smooth the bumps. Hope everything goes well for you.

I know that feeling I have had many tears over high readings! I am now at a stage where I just think I cant control everything and im doing the best I can, and just hope for the best.