Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Bullet Proof Coconut Chocolate squares:
3 oz 85% dark chocolate
3 oz unsweetened coconut
3 oz butter
3 oz coconut oil
1tbsp Splenda (or any sweetener to taste)
Put everything except coconut in microwaveable bowl, melt in microwave. Mix thoroughly until choc is melted, stir in coconut, spread into plastic 9x10 container, cool. Slice into 16 pieces. I put it into a baggie and freeze.

Last edited:

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
I bought a few of those rolls and put them in the freezer for him, used them for a picnic with smoked salmon and cream cheese. He declared he doesn't like them. The problem is all the things he 'likes' are bad for him..meringues, ice cream, chocolate, cakes, biscuits, pies, mashed potato et etc I, with the help of this forum, am now telling him to eat things he doesn't like. This is what happened before when he was first diagnosed and his weight went down and down to the point where he wasn't eating anything and had to go into hospital for 5 days with malnutrition and dehydration. It was the Metformin that started it, he didn't stop throwing up and having diarrhoea for 2 months even when they changed him to the slow release

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
3 oz 85% dark chocolate
3 oz unsweetened coconut
3 oz butter
3 oz coconut oil
Put everything except coconut in microwaveable bowl, melt in microwave. Mix thoroughly until choc is melted, stir in coconut, spread into plastic 9x3 container, cool. Slice into 16 pieces. I put it into a baggie and freeze.
Sounds good, I've got those ingredients here Thank you

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There was nobody more fussy about food and diets than me until i got diagnosed with T2D and got hospitalised with Arthritic Gout in shoulder knee and both feet, i was 19.5 stone and would heave at even the smell of cauliflower or sprouts etc
That was 2months ago and i have followed LCHF and this forum on 20 carbs a day and i love what i eat now with the big plus of losing 2 stone in that short time.
My only occasional treat is a stiff whiskey and diet coke (0 carbs) the LCHF has stopped all my cravings for junk food which is nothing short of a miracle :)
Rob

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that, I don't do puddings, never have done, even if we have people round he makes it eg pavlova or banoffi pie in the past. Other than yoghurt, which he hates, I've no idea what to suggest. It also needs to be quick and easy as he doesn't have much free time so thanks
How about side-stepping the whole pudding thing and instead suggesting a 2 course meal consisitng of starter and main? We EXPECT a pudding to be sweet, and I can't imagine a man who does hard manual work feeling thrilled by a few raspberries with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt. A starter could be heavy on protein and fat, to make him feel more satisfied, and maybe just a square of very dark chocolate at the end of the meal? Could he have larger portions of meat or fish or whatever is the protein part of the meal? Making sure to add oil or butter. For lunch away from home, could chicken legs replace the dreaded sandwiches?

As he can manage some egg, I suggest buying a big bottle of Hellman's Real mayonnaise, which is the lowest carb highest fat mayonnaise and IMO delicious. Cold chicken, iceberg lettuce and lashings of mayonnaise?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok fine, that's sort of what I was thinking, however he burns a lot of calories in his work so I'm not sure how to get more calories into him unless I add cheese to all of his vegetables - he lost about 4 stone about the time of diagnosis - well before in fact as that's why he went to the GP in the first place - his skin is literally hanging off his bones! Thanks and any more advice gratefully received!
Is he definitely type 2? Drastic weight loss can indicate type 1 in which case he doesn't stand a chance of getting his levels down without insulin.

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is he definitely type 2? Drastic weight loss can indicate type 1 in which case he doesn't stand a chance of getting his levels down without insulin.
Well that's what they told him 14 months ago after he'd lost 4 stone without trying!

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How about side-stepping the whole pudding thing and instead suggesting a 2 course meal consisitng of starter and main? We EXPECT a pudding to be sweet, and I can't imagine a man who does hard manual work feeling thrilled by a few raspberries with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt. A starter could be heavy on protein and fat, to make him feel more satisfied, and maybe just a square of very dark chocolate at the end of the meal? Could he have larger portions of meat or fish or whatever is the protein part of the meal? Making sure to add oil or butter. For lunch away from home, could chicken legs replace the dreaded sandwiches?

As he can manage some egg, I suggest buying a big bottle of Hellman's Real mayonnaise, which is the lowest carb highest fat mayonnaise and IMO delicious. Cold chicken, iceberg lettuce and lashings of mayonnaise?
Alexandra, he's difficult. We have chickens so he's not big on eating it especially cold and deffo not a leg. His go to since Xpert has been beans on toast or supermarket sandwich if he's out. Likewise mayonnaise makes him heave (raw eggs) I eat it so it's always in the fridge, if it wasn't for the allergy thing I'd do raw egg choc mousse etc. I cook loads of Vegs but he never puts much on his plate, I fill up on veg then I don't need/want anything else. He said he's got a sweet tooth, I said, well my teeth are the same as yours....he had antibiotics and steroids in Feb so possibly that's contributed to the high reading. I don't buy anything naughty e.g meringue nests but they're always in the cupboard, likewise ice cream in the freezer (which I don't eat cos it hurts my teeth)!

I hope the glucophage works without making him ill!
Thank you

Reactions: Yai

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that's what they told him 14 months ago after he'd lost 4 stone without trying!
Hmmmm. Told me I was type 2 because I was 43. Ended up in a&e on a drip with BG and ketones at unsafe levels. Around 20% of over 40s diagnosed with diabetes are type 1. Would he ask his doctor to double check?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope the glucophage works without making him ill!
I believe the important thing with any Metformin is to start VERY gently with just 500mg a day, and then increase VERY gradually.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3 oz 85% dark chocolate
3 oz unsweetened coconut
3 oz butter
3 oz coconut oil
Put everything except coconut in microwaveable bowl, melt in microwave. Mix thoroughly until choc is melted, stir in coconut, spread into plastic 9x3 container, cool. Slice into 16 pieces. I put it into a baggie and freeze.
Hi Lou that sounds like a proper treat. Do you know how many carbs per square by any chance? Great it can go in the freezer too, less chance of overindulging!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He said he's got a sweet tooth,
I wouldn't have believed this before I stopped eating fruit etc, but one's taste really does change once one is eating lower carb. Lots of other Forumites have said exactly the same as me. I used to despise vegetables. I used to say that if I didn't believe they were good for me I would never eat the likes of broccoli and spinach again. And now I really enjoy them. Of course it is easier to like vegetables covered in melted grated cheese and butter. I have even wondered about making a sort of bechamel sauce with cheese, butter and cream, but I haven't yet done it. The snag is, every time your husband eats something sweet he reactivates the taste for high carb, sugary foods, so he can never progress and free himself from that desire.

I do sympathise with your husband about the hens. I am an ex-vegetarian and I love hens. I never eat eggs from non-free range chickens, or anything eg cakes made from battery eggs. However when I realised that to have any chance of maintaining my health I have to eat low carb I also realised that even including fish in my vegetarian diet I risked becoming nauseated by the lack of variety. IMO ethics regarding animal welfaare cannot require me to commit suicide! Every animal puts survival first. So now I have widened my diet to include free range chicken portions, and I have even tried pheasant and venison.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Likewise mayonnaise makes him heave (raw eggs)
I don't think the eggs in mayonnaise bought in a jar can be raw.
Alexandra, he's difficult
It sounds to me as if you have got into a situation where he feels hard done to, partly by diabetes and partly by you. Someone / something is trying to deprive him of the things he likes / needs to eat and trying to impose on him things he doesn't want to eat. As long as that continues there is really no hope. HE has to prioritise health over the freedom to eat as he likes. It is a hard choice. YOU can't choose for him. Even if he does turn out to be a T1 and starts injecting insulin, that way of life will require great self-discipline on his part.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Hi Lou that sounds like a proper treat. Do you know how many carbs per square by any chance? Great it can go in the freezer too, less chance of overindulging!
Using my brands (in Canada), for each piece, 161 calories, 15.8g fats, 2.1g carbs, .8 proteins.

I also use the whole choc bar as it's 3.5 oz. so your numbers will be slightly different.

This really helps me say no thanks when hubby grabs his sugary treats. And yes, I keep mine in the freezer once they're sliced and I eat them frozen

Reactions: LooperCat

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

It sounds to me as if you have got into a situation where he feels hard done to, partly by diabetes and partly by you. Someone / something is trying to deprive him of the things he likes / needs to eat and trying to impose on him things he doesn't want to eat. As long as that continues there is really no hope. HE has to prioritise health over the freedom to eat as he likes. It is a hard choice. YOU can't choose for him. Even if he does turn out to be a T1 and starts injecting insulin, that way of life will require great self-discipline on his part.
Well that's what I'm hoping to avoid - we both did Atkins quite successfully a few years ago but it wasn't then a for life thing

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I think the mayo in a jar heaving is psycho somatic I have seen him have an egg allergic reaction and its not nice - we have to go through all this palaver if he ever buys a sandwich from say M&S as they all seem to have mayo in - so he will stand there and go through them one by one until he finds one eg smoked salmon and cream cheese, but if he becomes unable to have bread or cereal I have no idea how he will cope!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi
I have posted on here before but now we have a fresh set of challenges. My OH t2 was controlling his diabetes with diet and got down from somewhere near 150 to 55 with diet including doing the Expert course. He has just been to the surgery for his 3 month check and his latest reading is 111. Now he has had the flu, cough syrups etc and struggled to eat for about 3 week, we have also had Christmas and New Year. I think he's taken his eye off the ball a bit, eating bits and pieces from the bakers when he's on the road etc, on the plus side he's gained just over a stone. His legs are still like sticks however. They have prescribed SR glucophage 1 to be taken at night. Sadly he cannot eat eggs as a meal as he is allergic to them and they make him sick so he has a cereal type oat based breakfast with milk, normally a sandwich and a yoghurt for lunch then it's over to me for an evening meal which must include a dessert. I'm looking for high cal low carb meals if there is such a thing! (I on the other hand need to lose a bit!). Last night he was extremely depressed and said he'd have a carrot for pudding! Some of my ideas include home made flour less sponge with sugar free custard and a bit of fruit (like trifle) or quark with a bit of grated chocolate but it doesn't do it for him really. So is this a blip, is he just settling down? Is there a chart anywhere which tells you how many grammes of carb you should have in a day? He has changed to brown rice and wholewheat pasta and doesn't eat so much of it, I'm not sure where we're going wrong. His work is also physical when he's not driving. He's 62. Tia

counting the number of grams of carbs eaten in a day is essential to get HbA1c down for a type 2 diabetic.. , all kinds of meat are fine to eat, avoacado, and nuts too and olives,.... many kinds of cheese also contain very little levels of carb.. so does LIDLs protein rolls that are a much better choice than bread in general

what to avoid , grain, wheat, bread almost all kinds cakes , potatoes and corn, sugar, juice, fruit

the better choice is to eat most vegs grown over ground like tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, cale,cauliflower, broccolli, leak and so on.. berries

all carbs count in the counting... and white bread is actually just as bad as sugar...

here is some links to low carb foods and treats... to make

https://draxe.com/low-carb-desserts/

https://www.lowcarblab.com/low-carb-snack-ideas-recipes-sweet-salty/

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/g3593/low-carb-recipes/

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the mayo in a jar heaving is psycho somatic I have seen him have an egg allergic reaction and its not nice - we have to go through all this palaver if he ever buys a sandwich from say M&S as they all seem to have mayo in - so he will stand there and go through them one by one until he finds one eg smoked salmon and cream cheese, but if he becomes unable to have bread or cereal I have no idea how he will cope!
Maybe you could go on a world cruise for 6 months and leave him to sort himself out? Then we might even have the pleasure of meeting him here! Seriously, could you lavish a bit more loving care on yourself, and less on trying to rescue him?

Reactions: Diakat

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Using my brands (in Canada), for each piece, 161 calories, 15.8g fats, 2.1g carbs, .8 proteins.

I also use the whole choc bar as it's 3.5 oz. so your numbers will be slightly different.

This really helps me say no thanks when hubby grabs his sugary treats. And yes, I keep mine in the freezer once they're sliced and I eat them frozen
Thanks Lou that recipe is a keeper!