High HbA1c

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hi
I have posted on here before but now we have a fresh set of challenges. My OH t2 was controlling his diabetes with diet and got down from somewhere near 150 to 55 with diet including doing the Expert course. He has just been to the surgery for his 3 month check and his latest reading is 111. Now he has had the flu, cough syrups etc and struggled to eat for about 3 week, we have also had Christmas and New Year. I think he's taken his eye off the ball a bit, eating bits and pieces from the bakers when he's on the road etc, on the plus side he's gained just over a stone. His legs are still like sticks however. They have prescribed SR glucophage 1 to be taken at night. Sadly he cannot eat eggs as a meal as he is allergic to them and they make him sick so he has a cereal type oat based breakfast with milk, normally a sandwich and a yoghurt for lunch then it's over to me for an evening meal which must include a dessert. I'm looking for high cal low carb meals if there is such a thing! (I on the other hand need to lose a bit!). Last night he was extremely depressed and said he'd have a carrot for pudding! Some of my ideas include home made flour less sponge with sugar free custard and a bit of fruit (like trifle) or quark with a bit of grated chocolate but it doesn't do it for him really. So is this a blip, is he just settling down? Is there a chart anywhere which tells you how many grammes of carb you should have in a day? He has changed to brown rice and wholewheat pasta and doesn't eat so much of it, I'm not sure where we're going wrong. His work is also physical when he's not driving. He's 62. Tia

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I think that @daisy1 information will help you to start. From the provided list of foods I have to say that there is no hope for him if he does not change the diet radically. Sorry for that. But if he is able to change the diet and is able to walk, he has big chance to revert the situation. Just read the @daisy1 instructions.

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I think that @daisy1 information will help you to start. From the provided list of foods I have to say that there is no hope for him if he does not change the diet radically. Sorry for that. But if he is able to change the diet and is able to walk, he has big chance to revert the situation. Just read the @daisy1 instructions.
Hi how do I find that? tx

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
or you can search forum for daisy1 posts to get it now. Daisy1 provided each new member with this packet.

Biggles2

Does he test his glucose @myracat? I find that testing before and 2 hours after the first bite of my meal really helps! I also test first thing in the morning (fasting). This way I can see the effect that anything/everything I eat has on my blood glucose. It is a great motivator!

Everyone is different. I my case, I find that I cannot tolerate brown rice, oats, milk, bread, pasta (wholemeal or otherwise). Diet control for me means eliminating all of these food items from my diet. I see it as an either/or proposition in order to avoid complications. Either I eliminate most carbs (I limit myself to 30gm/day), or I take the medication.

For great low carb recipes, check out dietdoctor.com, also check out some of the threads and information on this forum. Also, @Rachox and others have posted some really, really delicious LC desert recipes!

Don't despair, there are plenty of great low carb options out there!

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for that, I don't do puddings, never have done, even if we have people round he makes it eg pavlova or banoffi pie in the past. Other than yoghurt, which he hates, I've no idea what to suggest. It also needs to be quick and easy as he doesn't have much free time so thanks

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Biggles2, sorry, he hasn't been testing his blood but I think he should start again. How are you with quinoa? I need something to fill him up after a day outside in the cold, and hopefully put a bit more weight on him

Last edited:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your OH can't eat eggs, how can he have sugar free custard? Unless it is made with cornstarch, of course, so it is a high carb food.
Wholemeal pasta and brown rice are high carb - the colour doesn't matter they are lots of starch.
My dinners tend to be meat - of any sort, and then several servings from my set list of cauliflower, courgette, aubergine, mushrooms, sweet pepper, beetroot or any low carb vege, followed by a small serving of berries and cream. I used to make sugar free jelly quite a lot but needed to dilute it down with pure gelatin after a while as they are over sweetened. For my first meal I have huge salads with tuna or smoked fish or cheeses, or sometimes thick soups or broths, blended low carb veges.
I think that these days we are do used to seeing people who have been fattened up by a carb heavy diet that we see it as normal - I'm sure that your husband manages quite well on his 'legs like sticks' - just like some really fit athletes who do not carry much fat.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@myracat

Hello Myracat and welcome back :) Here, in case you haven't already seen it, is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If your OH can't eat eggs, how can he have sugar free custard? Unless it is made with cornstarch, of course, so it is a high carb food.
Wholemeal pasta and brown rice are high carb - the colour doesn't matter they are lots of starch.
My dinners tend to be meat - of any sort, and then several servings from my set list of cauliflower, courgette, aubergine, mushrooms, sweet pepper, beetroot or any low carb vege, followed by a small serving of berries and cream. I used to make sugar free jelly quite a lot but needed to dilute it down with pure gelatin after a while as they are over sweetened. For my first meal I have huge salads with tuna or smoked fish or cheeses, or sometimes thick soups or broths, blended low carb veges.
I think that these days we are do used to seeing people who have been fattened up by a carb heavy diet that we see it as normal - I'm sure that your husband manages quite well on his 'legs like sticks' - just like some really fit athletes who do not carry much fat.
Ok fine, that's sort of what I was thinking, however he burns a lot of calories in his work so I'm not sure how to get more calories into him unless I add cheese to all of his vegetables - he lost about 4 stone about the time of diagnosis - well before in fact as that's why he went to the GP in the first place - his skin is literally hanging off his bones! Thanks and any more advice gratefully received!

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh thanks for that. Was the Xpert course a complete waste of time then? He has notes which say things like baked beans will bring your sugars down and introduce chickpeas, lentils etc So this is all wrong? I've been having a quick look round on the web. He just came in hungry for something to have with a cup of tea, been working outside in the cold all day. What do you guys use for snacks?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh thanks for that. Was the Xpert course a complete waste of time then? He has notes which say things like baked beans will bring your sugars down and introduce chickpeas, lentils etc So this is all wrong? I've been having a quick look round on the web. He just came in hungry for something to have with a cup of tea, been working outside in the cold all day. What do you guys use for snacks?
Nuts are a quick and filling snack. If he wants a bowl of something how about some berries and double cream?

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, that's fine but we don't always have berries. He's just said to me he's done around 4,000 calories worth of work - exercise - today so what can he eat to put back the calories
Tonight's dinner will be liver and bacon, cauliflower, kale, tomato and mashed swede with onions and gravy BUT he had a sandwich for lunch - he's really hungry

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
cream in coffee - frozen berries in the freezer so they are always available - my Tesco has an offer on frozen berries at the moment. Whilst I was there I picked up some Soya yoghurt which is low carb, I mix it into sugar free jelly or gelatin and add low sugar fruit squash - Ribena have some good flavours and they are low carb - avoid the full sugar ones of course.
If you avoid soya then using Greek yoghurt, full fat is a good alternative for high calorie, and the jelly makes it filling.
I was going to suggest looking up low carb baking with nut flours, but most recipes rely a lot on eggs - though you might be able to find something you could make for him with a bit of searching.
I have a cracker recipe which is blanched almond flour, a little salt, some herbs, a little olive oil and water - mix to form a dough, roll out between two layers of parchment paper and put onto a baking sheet, mark out into squares and bake at 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C for about 10 minutes. allow to cool before breaking up. If you use a tablespoon of olive oil and twice that of water, add the salt and herbs then the almond flour, stirring and adding more almond flour until it is manageable that negates the variability of the flour. You can press milled mixed seeds into the top, or sesame seeds.

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
cream in coffee - frozen berries in the freezer so they are always available - my Tesco has an offer on frozen berries at the moment. Whilst I was there I picked up some Soya yoghurt which is low carb, I mix it into sugar free jelly or gelatin and add low sugar fruit squash - Ribena have some good flavours and they are low carb - avoid the full sugar ones of course.
If you avoid soya then using Greek yoghurt, full fat is a good alternative for high calorie, and the jelly makes it filling.
I was going to suggest looking up low carb baking with nut flours, but most recipes rely a lot on eggs - though you might be able to find something you could make for him with a bit of searching.
I have a cracker recipe which is blanched almond flour, a little salt, some herbs, a little olive oil and water - mix to form a dough, roll out between two layers of parchment paper and put onto a baking sheet, mark out into squares and bake at 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C for about 10 minutes. allow to cool before breaking up. If you use a tablespoon of olive oil and twice that of water, add the salt and herbs then the almond flour, stirring and adding more almond flour until it is manageable that negates the variability of the flour. You can press milled mixed seeds into the top, or sesame seeds.
Hi Resurgam
Thanks for that. Eggs are fine if cooked in a recipe like cake but not in egg form like quiche if that makes sense
I do a chocolate roulade no flour no fat but not sure of the carbs and can't have it every day
A good cake recipe would help, likewise rolls.
Thank you

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure how to get more calories into him unless I add cheese to all of his vegetables
I sympathise, as I am trying to eat very low carb while not losing any more weight, preferably even gaining some. I do add grated cheese to almost everything and I must say it does taste delicious. I even add it to broth. I also add butter. I agree with lots of other Forumites that Kerrygold is one of the nicest butters, and probably one of the healthiest due to being from grass fed cows in New Zealand. If I am eating a fairly low fat meat or fish I may pour on a spoonful of olive oil. Nuts are high calorie. They do contain carbs, but the fattier the nut the lower carb eg brazils and walnuts are lower carb than almonds, which in turn are lower than peanuts and cashews. Full fat Greek yoghurt is the lowest carb kind. Basically, you turn everything on its head and no longer look for the low fat "healthy" options, but the highest fat, lowest carb instead. Double cream in coffee and tea. How about whipped double cream with a few shavings of 90% dark chocolate on top, or a few raspberries?

But in the end, if your husband isn't ready to take responsibility for his own diet, you can't do it for him. Sometimes people have to start experiencing adverse consequences before they are willing to change.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that's fine but we don't always have berries. He's just said to me he's done around 4,000 calories worth of work - exercise - today so what can he eat to put back the calories
Tonight's dinner will be liver and bacon, cauliflower, kale, tomato and mashed swede with onions and gravy BUT he had a sandwich for lunch - he's really hungry
Hello, has he tried the high protein triangular shaped rolls from Lidl? - if near one. Filled with cheese and salad they are very filling. As he likes cheese maybe have that for 'afters' a couple of times a week and see how that goes. Just don't go mad with the crackers.