High numbers before and after wisdom tooth traction.

Lahaina1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Need help. scared.
,type 2 since July
After eating nothing after midnight my numbers were too high at 7:00 am. Took Metformin and went for surgery. After eating very little and fasting for three hours it is over 9. So scared! Can't get it down. Why?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Need help. scared.
,type 2 since July
After eating nothing after midnight my numbers were too high at 7:00 am. Took Metformin and went for surgery. After eating very little and fasting for three hours it is over 9. So scared! Can't get it down. Why?
Hi, @Lahaina1
Tooth extraction, and the anxiety before, and after could raise your blood glucose. As could the anaesthetic used. Things should settle down again, though I expect you will be restricted in what you can eat for a while, which could also have an effect.

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I had my wisdoms out my sugars were elevated before and after. I attribute before to fighting an infection in the teeth, and the after to stress, anaesthetic and nerves. I don't know about you but the nurses tried to get me to eat a yoghurt before I left, just to prove I was ok. I refused loudly due to being given full sugar yoghurt. I attribute my rudeness to being fuzzyheaded due to the surgery, but really, giving a diabetic a full sugar yoghurt? Duh!

Reactions: DJC3

Lahaina1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I had my wisdoms out my sugars were elevated before and after. I attribute before to fighting an infection in the teeth, and the after to stress, anaesthetic and nerves. I don't know about you but the nurses tried to get me to eat a yoghurt before I left, just to prove I was ok. I refused loudly due to being given full sugar yoghurt. I attribute my rudeness to being fuzzyheaded due to the surgery, but really, giving a diabetic a full sugar yoghurt? Duh!
Thank you I think you are right. Just so much going on.

The yoghurt incident was ridiculous. Glad you refused.

Reactions: purplepenguin

sue4les

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people who eat chocolate in front of me. Boo Hoo
Every time I have tooth removed I suffer a reaction of...not being able to see clearly, I feel like I am going to burst into flames where I feel so hot and I sweat like I have had a bucket of water tipped over me. I have had this problem since I was about 8 years of age and I am now 62years young. I was diagnosed as Diabetic type2 11 years ago although I am sure I was diabetic well before that. Anyone else get these symptoms at the dentist or is it just me. One of my dentists did make me have a couple of glucose tablets and that was before I became type2.

Reactions: kitedoc

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am fine when I go for a tooth pulled out as I don't think about it but when the needle goes in is when I am anxious but after that I am fine as they can do whatever they want to it and I don't use anesthesic to do a filling as no point with the needle and I am okay until they hit the nerve and then they stop and do the filling and I can go as long as I don't eat anything for a hour after the filling and I just eat a half tin of rice either full or no fat after you get a tooth pulled out as that is for your sugars and to help with the hole where the tooth was and don't drink tea or coffee as that will pull out the blood stopper in the hole as it will bleed again and you will have to put a compound pack on it until it stops bleeding and don't smoke as that will make it bleed again as well as I found that out and it took a half an hour to stop and don't drink any alcohol as that doesn't work either for the pain just pain killers

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Every time I have tooth removed I suffer a reaction of...not being able to see clearly, I feel like I am going to burst into flames where I feel so hot and I sweat like I have had a bucket of water tipped over me. I have had this problem since I was about 8 years of age and I am now 62years young. I was diagnosed as Diabetic type2 11 years ago although I am sure I was diabetic well before that. Anyone else get these symptoms at the dentist or is it just me. One of my dentists did make me have a couple of glucose tablets and that was before I became type2.
hi sounds like panic attacks - ask your GP for some valium to take before your next visit..

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I am fine when I go for a tooth pulled out as I don't think about it but when the needle goes in is when I am anxious but after that I am fine as they can do whatever they want to it and I don't use anesthesic to do a filling as no point with the needle and I am okay until they hit the nerve and then they stop and do the filling and I can go as long as I don't eat anything for a hour after the filling and I just eat a half tin of rice either full or no fat after you get a tooth pulled out as that is for your sugars and to help with the hole where the tooth was and don't drink tea or coffee as that will pull out the blood stopper in the hole as it will bleed again and you will have to put a compound pack on it until it stops bleeding and don't smoke as that will make it bleed again as well as I found that out and it took a half an hour to stop and don't drink any alcohol as that doesn't work either for the pain just pain killers
What is full fat rice ?

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Thank you I think you are right. Just so much going on.

The yoghurt incident was ridiculous. Glad you refused.
Hi Dental staff are taught that sugar is the answer for most normal people, as their panic and nerves may cause them to faint, which is remedied by a sugary drink. Some people feel faint and ill because their nerves have prevented them from having a proper meal before going to the dentist, then when they get there and face injections or fillings they pass out ! A drink of orange with sugar and they are right as rain, their nerves still jangling but at least not flopping about on the floor.

Akshay53

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Need help. scared.
,type 2 since July

Wisdom tooth removal, albeit a nerve-racking thought, is a very common dental procedure. Wisdom teeth may be removed in your dental office or in a surgical office.
The best advice I can offer someone undergoing wisdom teeth removal is to thoroughly follow the instructions your dentist gives you before your oral surgery and after your wisdom tooth removal surgery. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your wisdom tooth removal, speak to your dentist before the date of your surgery.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Need help. scared.
,type 2 since July
Stress, pain and such can and will make your BG rise. It's normal, and it will pass. Take a breath, you'll be okay. Just take proper care of the wound as instructed by your dentist/surgeon. (I had stiches and messed them up by accident after one of the 4 wisdom teeth extractions I had, and ended up with a nasty abcess... So be gentle with your mouth!)