High reading after exercise..

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m experimenting with more frequent testing at the moment. I had a 6.3 when I woke this morning (6.30), I thought I would test immediately after my 7am circuit training and it was 10.2.

Mean anything?

Last edited:
D

Deleted Account

It is not uncommon for exercise to result in an increase in BG.

When we exercise, two diabetes related things happen: we become more efficient at using insulin and our liver releases a glut of glucose to give us the energy to exercise.
Typically (but not always, because we are all different), prolonged steady exercise such as running or walking or cycling will result in lower BG after exercise whereas stop start, resistance training such as weights, climbing and circuits will result in higher BG.
However, as our livers are releasing glucose and depleting their stores, over a longer time, both will result in lower BG.

I also notice you are exercising early morning.
The BG rise may also be related to Dawn Phenomenon - our livers see getting up as another reason to release glucose.

Reactions: kitedoc and paulmh

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
I saw similar rises when I started to exercise. I followed the advice in the book "The FIRST Program: Fighting Insulin Resistance with Strength Training " By Dr William Shang. The suggested regime is pretty intensive and so I suspect that there was some stress related BG rise, as well as that due to the exercise. Conversely, having a brisk walk after lunch would bring my BG down and so it seems different forms of exercise have different effects. I found that after a few weeks my BG suddenly went back to normal. I think that long term, some vigorous effort has benefits in BG control, not least because you develop muscle that metabolises glucose to CO2 and water, never for it to return!

Reactions: kitedoc

paulmh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw similar rises when I started to exercise. I followed the advice in the book "The FIRST Program: Fighting Insulin Resistance with Strength Training " By Dr William Shang. The suggested regime is pretty intensive and so I suspect that there was some stress related BG rise, as well as that due to the exercise. Conversely, having a brisk walk after lunch would bring my BG down and so it seems different forms of exercise have different effects. I found that after a few weeks my BG suddenly went back to normal. I think that long term, some vigorous effort has benefits in BG control, not least because you develop muscle that metabolises glucose to CO2 and water, never for it to return!

I’ve been training for a year MB, maybe I came from a particularly low base! But I’ll definitely get a copy of that book, it chimes with the weight loss / controlled carb / improved fitness approach I’ve been working. I think what I want to do now is to improve my understanding of the disease, I’ve not given much time to research, I was wary of “analysis paralysis”.