High reading of 181, 2 hours after meal..

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One more question though, if the number stays the same (the wakeup number) then why would I have to test again before I eat breakfast? I don't eat for a few hours after I get up, I test, then I have coffee (2 cups/half chicory root so half decaf). Play on my computer, and eat about 9-10ish. So I'm asking to make sure that if I test on wakeup, with that number remain the same until I eat again?

No! Highly unlikely that the number will remain the same. The body is a mysterious thing. For many, dawn phenomenon will continue after rising. Since starting to use a Libre a while back, I’ve come to understand that irrespective of what I eat, my BG follows a predictable pattern - the actual numbers will vary, but within that, very predictable.

The period between 6am and 12 noon is always the period in which I am highest (I usually get up between 4 and 5.30am), despite the fact I don’t eat during that time: followed by the period between 12 and 6pm, in which I eat all my food; the period between 6pm and midnight is the lowest and then the period between midnight and 6am is roughly the same as the period between noon and 6.

That’s why testing immediately before eating is important as a baseline to see the impact of what you eat.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
No! Highly unlikely that the number will remain the same. The body is a mysterious thing. For many, dawn phenomenon will continue after rising. Since starting to use a Libre a while back, I’ve come to understand that irrespective of what I eat, my BG follows a predictable pattern - the actual numbers will vary, but within that, very predictable.

The period between 6am and 12 noon is always the period in which I am highest (I usually get up between 4 and 5.30am), despite the fact I don’t eat during that time: followed by the period between 12 and 6pm, in which I eat all my food; the period between 6pm and midnight is the lowest and then the period between midnight and 6am is roughly the same as the period between noon and 6.

That’s why testing immediately before eating is important as a baseline to see the impact of what you eat.
Ok, but how do you figure out what you BG is while you are sleeping?

It does make sense things wouldn't stay the same due to many factors that would effect the BG, moving around, stressing out about something, taking my dog out for her morning walk etc. Thanks much,

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, but how do you figure out what you BG is while you are sleeping?

I use a Freestyle Libre, which is a continuous monitor - so long as I scan it once every 8 hours, it takes a reading every few minutes and records it. The sensor sticks to your arm and lasts for 14 days. It’s not cheap, but it’s convenient and provides a lot of insight.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I use a Freestyle Libre, which is a continuous monitor - so long as I scan it once every 8 hours, it takes a reading every few minutes and records it. The sensor sticks to your arm and lasts for 14 days. It’s not cheap, but it’s convenient and provides a lot of insight.
That would be worth the money if a person can afford it! I know I can do good with mine, I just have be vigilant of the clock mainly. I just got the right time down for starting to eat, and almost finished now.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't want to start a thread on this so hope it's ok to just put it here. It's 40 minutes since I ate a rather large meal for breakfast and I am feeling hungry again, not bad hypo but starting to feel that way?? Here's what I ate and starting BG was 127. At 6a.m. it was 129 mg/dl:

Maybe I need to add in some meat to my breakfasts? I already have a lot of calories there, but I don't think a lot of folks here watch their calories but I am in "maybe a bad habit" of doing that? Just took my BG again, feel shakey and hungry, it 148 mg/dl
breakfast 2.JPG

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I believe the first meal spike was most likely due to the highlighted

upload_2021-3-1_18-13-19.png

The roasted garlic may have contributed also, due the concentration of the sugars when garlic is roasted.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't want to start a thread on this so hope it's ok to just put it here. It's 40 minutes since I ate a rather large meal for breakfast and I am feeling hungry again, not bad hypo but starting to feel that way?? Here's what I ate and starting BG was 127. At 6a.m. it was 129 mg/dl:

Maybe I need to add in some meat to my breakfasts? I already have a lot of calories there, but I don't think a lot of folks here watch their calories but I am in "maybe a bad habit" of doing that? Just took my BG again, feel shakey and hungry, it 148 mg/dl

148 = 8.2 mmol so not close to a hypo, and your starting point was 7.1 mmols, so not a large rise, so I wouldn’t expect you to be feeling shaky.

Are you asking about meat because you think it’d keep you full for longer? Although I see you had some pork with the meal. From the list of foods I can’t really envisage what it’d look like on the plate - I don’t have a sense of what sort of portions the veg were, but it sounds like a decent sized meal so I can’t explain why you’re hungry.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I fixed the vegie roast so it equaled 4 ounce total. I don't know either but I am eating some pork leftover, 2 more eggs and 1/8 c of walnuts, I'm ravenous. Got my before number again at 148 mg/dl, and I'm clocking from the time I started pigging out again. So I'll see what it is 2 hrs from now if I last that long without eating again, lol!!

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...

View attachment 47771
Firstly, as already mentioned I would be treating this as an equivalent 29 gm carb meal to calc my insulin bolus. Because this is morning it may take more insulin than equivalent meal later in the day.

Secondly, could you delay breakfast or replace with lunch say after midday/1 pm? Are you truly hungry in the morning or is it just a habit?

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Firstly, as already mentioned I would be treating this as an equivalent 29 gm carb meal to calc my insulin bolus. Because this is morning it may take more insulin than equivalent meal later in the day.

Secondly, could you delay breakfast or replace with lunch say after midday/1 pm? Are you truly hungry in the morning or is it just a habit?
Lately I've been hungry in the a.m. but not in the past, just habit, but usually by 11 or even Noon I am hungry. I didn't know about the Roasting causing garlic powder to concentrate sugars. For a cookie sheet full of vegies I use 1/2 tsp onion powder, and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Doesn't sound like a lot but I mix it in olive oil and coat good in a bowl first.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry, thought the garlic was whole. I have done this in the past which tastes great but has a hit.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I believe the first meal spike was most likely due to the highlighted

View attachment 47772

The roasted garlic may have contributed also, due the concentration of the sugars when garlic is roasted.
Ok yes, this was after Dietician told me to try upping my carbs. She didn't like the look of how few carbs and was pushing for more fruits etc. She's not a diabetic though so it's hard for me to trust her, in fact I don't trust her understanding of Type 2 and that's her specialty she said. I don't want to blame anyone and don't though honestly, because I learned a long time ago I needed listen to my body. Like now, I'm hungry so I'm eating, don't care what time it etc. I did drink some water first thinking my bod needed that, didn't work.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry, thought the garlic was whole. I have done this in the past which tastes great but has a hit.
That's ok, and I thought you meant the garlic powder on my vegies which I forgot I didn't list. You meant the Garlic Hummus ;) It's Roasted it says. I'm starting to feel a bit better, but I think I need to lay off the calorie counting for a bit ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

There's so much I don't know or understand yet. Someone said early on here on the forum to eat until I am full. I looked up Bolus and can read more about that. I can also "just" eat when I'm hungry but that is so irregular some days and like today, I couldn't even wait til my 2 hours BG count before I had to eat again. I know it will get better, but I also know I can't just jump from 30g per day of carbs to 90, or close too.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok yes, this was after Dietician told me to try upping my carbs. She didn't like the look of how few carbs and was pushing for more fruits etc. She's not a diabetic though so it's hard for me to trust her, in fact I don't trust her understanding of Type 2 and that's her specialty she said. I don't want to blame anyone and don't though honestly, because I learned a long time ago I needed listen to my body. Like now, I'm hungry so I'm eating, don't care what time it etc. I did drink some water first thinking my bod needed that, didn't work.
That's what some of the low carb tutors teach..."eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full".

It may be of interest to hear the views of 2 registered dietitians who have gone to low carb / keto methods of eating:

Astrid Naranjo

Michelle Hurn

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That's what some of the low carb tutors teach..."eat when you are hungry, stop when you are full".

It may be of interest to hear the views of 2 registered dietitians who have gone to low carb / keto methods of eating:

Astrid Naranjo

Michelle Hurn
This is great! Can't thank you enough, and I will listen to both of these as soon as I'm done eating again, LOL!!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but I believed the dietician.
need I say anything?

turmeric/ginger juice
I’m curious, exactly what’s in this? Powder?crushed? Water?

whatever your shakes are caused by it is not an actual hypo at those levels. I would consider it possibly a false hypo if you’ve had a spell of higher carb thanks to the dietitian that thinks carbs for a carb intolerant person are a good idea (oops I said something). If you are hungry after a few days of this then you need more natural fats or more protein. And yes for the short term forget calories. Get blood sugars sorted the. If there’s still a need think about calories.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
need I say anything?

I’m curious, exactly what’s in this? Powder?crushed? Water?

whatever your shakes are caused by it is not an actual hypo at those levels. I would consider it possibly a false hypo if you’ve had a spell of higher carb thanks to the dietitian that thinks carbs for a carb intolerant person are a good idea (oops I said something). If you are hungry after a few days of this then you need more natural fats or more protein. And yes for the short term forget calories. Get blood sugars sorted the. If there’s still a need think about calories.
Well if "my experience has been" means anything, no, no need to say anything about "this" dietician anyway.

I agree with the rest of your statement and that's the plan. The way I shot on carbs after the dietician got through with me, then bringing them back down to "my normal" and getting the shakes, felt like a withdrawal from sugar. Maybe that the same as this false hypo? Just tested again, my BG has gone all the way down to 105!! mg/dl that is!! I'm so relieved. That was after my 2 breakfast starting at 10:15 when I was ravenous. I at 1/8 cup of Walnuts, 2 boiled eggs, and 1 oz piece of Pork Tenderloin from last night!

The juices I'll put nutrition info on below but I normally just mix the bulk powders in water and drink down. This was a "lazy" idea I had but it sure seems like it's good, just too expensive to buy again (1st is the Ginger):

ginger juice.JPG
turmeric juice.JPG

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well if "my experience has been" means anything, no, no need to say anything about "this" dietician anyway.

I agree with the rest of your statement and that's the plan. The way I shot on carbs after the dietician got through with me, then bringing them back down to "my normal" and getting the shakes, felt like a withdrawal from sugar. Maybe that the same as this false hypo? Just tested again, my BG has gone all the way down to 105!! mg/dl that is!! I'm so relieved. That was after my 2 breakfast starting at 10:15 when I was ravenous. I at 1/8 cup of Walnuts, 2 boiled eggs, and 1 oz piece of Pork Tenderloin from last night!

The juices I'll put nutrition info on below but I normally just mix the bulk powders in water and drink down. This was a "lazy" idea I had but it sure seems like it's good, just too expensive to buy again (1st is the Ginger):

View attachment 47775 View attachment 47776
At close to 20g carbs per 100ml I wouldn’t be wasting (using) my carb allowance like this. Personal opinion.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
At close to 20g carbs per 100ml I wouldn’t be wasting (using) my carb allowance like this. Personal opinion.
What do you use your carbs on? The turmeric and ginger powders may be alright for my anti-inflammatory, as I said I can't afford to keep buying these juices anyway. I would be interested in what you spend your carb allowances on though :)