High sugar readings that dont seem to be coming down

janecornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all , This is the first time this has happened to me in 10 yrs ... I had become a little lazy i know but back on track with checking but for 2 days after upping insulin by a couple of units its not really coming down ..What am i doing wrong ? and tips or advise please

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
What insulin do you take do u use mdi ?

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
If you increase basal it can take a few days for effects to come through

Reactions: 2 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are your meals like, and is there a specific time of day you notice higher blood sugars?

janecornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have increased all and have noticed a change but changed my injection sights too which i think was the problem ... My meals are really good healthy not eating too much and it didn't matter what time of day it was all high ... with moving my injection sight for an extra bit of nova rapid it actually came down to 6.1 when id had a constant high of around 13.7 to 15.1 ...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
higher blood sugars across the whole day generally mean you need more basal, so in your case Levemir..............

Fortunately Levemir changes can be observed straight away unlike Lantus.........

injection sites are important, so well done spotting this........

might be worth testing your Levemir dose anyway.............as seasonal changes can also effect your insulin needs..........

Reactions: 2 people

janecornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your help i am closely monitoring it all .. its nice to get help from people who understand Thanks all x

Reactions: 3 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Jane,

When you're running high, try:

- Changing you cartridge, in case it's gone off, sometimes you can get a 'bad' batch.
- Change sites as stated above.
- Are you coming down with anything ? Flu/cold or have an infection (particularly teeth infections can cause high BG)

If all of the above aren't working, check your carb ratio's are correct and try a morning fasting on your basal as also suggested above, so eating no carbs to see if it's still rising.

Diabetes is like a baby when it's leaving you with high BG, just a case of checking the above as it's going to be one of these !! ;)

Reactions: 4 people