1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

High sugars - insulin not working?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by passittotheleft, Jan 2, 2017.

1. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi
    Welcome to the forums
    This does seem to be a recurring issue for T1 diabetics I'm afraid. So, here's a list of the usual suspects
    1) insulin (either basal or bolus) has gone off (eg been kept at too high or low temperatures)
    2) you're ill with something as yet undiagnosed (eg urinary tract infections can be asymptomatic for some people). If you already know you're ill (eg a cold) then this is definitely the likely culprit.
    3) You've been overusing your injection sites which is interfering with uptake of insulin.
    4) Stress can also make your blood sugars go up.
    5) On any new medications? Some can make your blood sugar go up.

That's all my ideas for now. My first step is always to change out my insulin vials, (unless I know I'm sick, in which case I just keep blood testing and injecting).

Good luck

2. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Type 1 · Expert

I'd add -
    - check your pens are working and are actually injecting something. Start with a small dose into the air. If this does not work. change your pen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook