Type 1 Holiday blood sugar

Samanthakate

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, quick question,

I'm on holiday in Italy and I was told by my nurse that my blood sugars would go down in the heat, I've found the opposite though and my blood sugars have been a lot higher than normal and I'm injecting more units to compensate,

Anyone else had this experience? Any ideas why?

I'm drinking loads of water and I've been avoiding carbs but I still seem to need much more insulin, I've also been keeping my insulin in a frio cool bag so I don't think it has gone off?

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Samanthakate

I'm just back from Italy (28 sunny degrees when I left Florence and 9 pouring down rain degrees when I got back to Scotland).
I'm a type 2 but I found the same, I habitually eat under 80g of carb a day and since I have only been diagnosed a year stuck to similar LCHF eating whilst I was away, drinking a lot of water and getting loads of exercise walking out and about in the sun :)

After the first full day when my reading was lower all my other readings averaged a bit higher too. (my fasting bg was up about 0.4 on average).

I wondered if the temperature contrast was a bit of a stress factor for my body.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone, quick question,

I'm on holiday in Italy and I was told by my nurse that my blood sugars would go down in the heat, I've found the opposite though and my blood sugars have been a lot higher than normal and I'm injecting more units to compensate,

Anyone else had this experience? Any ideas why?

I'm drinking loads of water and I've been avoiding carbs but I still seem to need much more insulin, I've also been keeping my insulin in a frio cool bag so I don't think it has gone off?

Some Type 1s find heat increases their need for insulin. I've found it can do both!

Test lots and don't assume anything - that's my advice.

Also, bear in mind it might be harder to carb count when you're eating out, so that might be having an effect too.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd also change to a new cartridge of insulin in case that's gone off.

Are your correction doses working ok?