Holiday highs!!!

hewjameson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
The past few times I have went on holiday to a reasonably hot country I have suffered from bad highs and terrible insulin resistant.
This is despite going through the usual measures of keeping my insulin cool, regularly changing needles, eating reasonably low carb diet and attempting to exercise a little bit as well.
It’s really frustrating and demoralising as sometime it just seems like my body is not absorbing the insulin.
Like I say, this has happened the last couple of times I’ve been away, and I’m currently in the Middle East and I’m still suffering from almost constant highs (above 11). I’m usually on 1 unit per 15g carbs, but now I’m taking at least 1 unit per 5g carbs - does this happen to any one else?
Thanks in advance.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
you should look at increasing basal during these times, as opposed to fiddling with the carb ratios.......as its sounds like its a resistance over the whole day and not connected to the carbs...

Reactions: hewjameson

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @hewjameson

The opposite happens to me, I find I tend to float above hypo most of the time, heat can affect us as well as changes in food, exercise, stress levels, sleep, many factors will affect it.

As @novorapidboi26 has said if it's constant then you need to review your basal ratio rather than trying to catch it with corrections.

RB1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Try
Hi all,
The past few times I have went on holiday to a reasonably hot country I have suffered from bad highs and terrible insulin resistant.
This is despite going through the usual measures of keeping my insulin cool, regularly changing needles, eating reasonably low carb diet and attempting to exercise a little bit as well.
It’s really frustrating and demoralising as sometime it just seems like my body is not absorbing the insulin.
Like I say, this has happened the last couple of times I’ve been away, and I’m currently in the Middle East and I’m still suffering from almost constant highs (above 11). I’m usually on 1 unit per 15g carbs, but now I’m taking at least 1 unit per 5g carbs - does this happen to any one else?
Thanks in advance.

RB1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi try drinking lots of water I find it helps and also try hydration tablets there’s some glucose in them but I find them good but they will push the sugars up a bit