1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Holidays in the UK

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Topmansmithy, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Topmansmithy

Topmansmithy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Wifey and I are trying to plan some sort of holiday with our doggy and last year we popped over to the Isle of Wight for a few days and had a fantastic time - we found a lovely beach which went on for miles and our little dog absolutely loved it. We are very tempted to go back but i was wondering where do you go for your your UK breaks - do you have a special/favorite place?- if you have a dog where do you go?-

2. jay hay-char

jay hay-char Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We have friends who used to live near Porthmadog, in North Wales who had a large Old English Sheepdog that we used to take to the beach. There were (and presumably still are) some great beaches on the Lleyn Peninsula though I suspect a number of them have restrictions on dogs, particularly in high season. Have a look here.

North Devon has some great beaches - Croyde, Woolacombe and so forth - but again, I'm not sure about the dog situation. I've never been there, but friends of ours have been to the North East and say that, if the weather is good, some of the beaches up there are fabulous.

3. PerfectStorm

PerfectStorm Type 2 · Well-Known Member

We love South Devon, around the South Hams area. They are very dog friendly down there, lots of shops leave bowls of water out for dogs and many pubs and cafes are dog friendly. Some of the beaches don't allow dogs but there are a few that do - our favourite is Mill Bay, just across from Salcombe, it's absolutely stunning. There are some beautiful walks around the South Hams, including some gorgeous coastal walks which we love.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Skydog76

Skydog76 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

West Cumbria, south of Seascale

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Northumberland without a doubt.

6. brottonmoores

brottonmoores Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Scottish highlands beautiful and very dog friendly but beware of the midges

• Like Like x 2
  7. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

We go to the Lizard Peninsula in South Cornwall, where there is a good mix of beaches, some which do and some which don't allow dogs in high season. There are a couple that allow dogs post 7pm as well.

8. Patricia21

Patricia21 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Northumberland for me,lovely sands in Bamburgh,lovely walks all over,Lindisfarn called Holy Island just north of Bamburgh is a must visit.

9. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

The Lakes for walks without a doubt, have been around this country of ours. I loved Scottish highlands and the lowlands! Been to South Wales, Been to Yorkshire Dales and the coast. Done all North Wales coast, Lancashire Coast as well! Not been around East Anglia, seen it too flat! Not been to Cornwall, Devon!
    But if you haven't walked around the lakes, especially with dog(s) in tow. You definitely need to!

10. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

i love lowestoft and clacton in essex

11. poohtiggy

poohtiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The Gower Peninsula the other side of Swansea has to be seen to be believed. Beautiful clean beaches one of which is five miles long, nice cliff top walks. Some beaches you can drive onto others you have to climb down to but they have steps and siderails and the walk down is so worth it. Never overcrowded, not good for families with children but for a couple and a dog, pure heaven. It's pretty quiet as there is no fun fair/disco bars/lager louts or smelly chip stalls just a nice haven of beauty

12. Shecat

Shecat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Scotland is Beautiful! I am a Scot and only have one thing to say to everyone thinking of holidaying up here and afraid of the midge - Avon Skin So Soft repels the little blighters stops them biting you, it forms a seal round your skin :) I use it!

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook