Home Made Juice

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, am newly diagnosed T2. Was a nurse in my working life but relatively poor working knowledge of living with this condition. So...journey begins. Have been looking for a soft drink, squash, cordial, whatever, that does not contain artificial sweeteners. Apart from concerns re safety, I am one of those who just can’t stand the aftertaste. Gave up today and decided to make my own. Lemon juice, a hefty amount of xylitol dissolved in hot water. Combine the elements. Bottled, put in fridge. I just diluted the result and if I say so myself, it’s pretty tasty. Way better than anything I have tried since diagnosis. Of course xylitol is not cheap but it’s currently on ‘buy one get one half price’ at a well known health food store.

Reactions: JDEAN34

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

I don't drink soft drinks very often, and therefore can't comment. However, I would like to say please be very careful with xylitol if you have a dog. It is very toxic for dogs.

Anything we can do to help you?

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome,

I don't drink soft drinks very often, and therefore can't comment. However, I would like to say please be very careful with xylitol if you have a dog. It is very toxic for dogs.

Anything we can do to help you?
Thank you, I am aware of the issue re dogs but it’s always good to remind...
Pretty frustrated at the moment because my GP can’t / won’t give me a blood glucose monitor so I have no idea as yet what may or may not affect my levels. It seems to be an issue that can be quite individual and it would really help me if I could eat something and test 2hrs later for effect. As ex nurse I am very happy to experiment on myself and document outcomes

Reactions: catarinagallo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type two - if in the UK, we do not get meters and so have to buy them ourselves.
I picked one up in Lidl but have not seen them there again, and they do not stock the strips separately they have to be sent off for.
There are a couple of meters available cheaply also mail order, so it would be well worth looking those up. One is the 'Codefree' and I think the other is Tee2.

Reactions: NikkieDuranie

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Homemade lemonade is DELICIOUS!
You can use sweetener (I use erythritol rather than stevia because I don't like the taste of stevia) and add sparkling water for a bit of fizz.

https://www.thatslowcarb.com/low-carb-lemonade/
low-carb-lemonade-h-2-1-1.jpg

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/Summer-Iced-Berry-Lemonade
BerryLemonade_EL.jpg

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, am newly diagnosed T2. Was a nurse in my working life but relatively poor working knowledge of living with this condition. So...journey begins. Have been looking for a soft drink, squash, cordial, whatever, that does not contain artificial sweeteners. Apart from concerns re safety, I am one of those who just can’t stand the aftertaste. Gave up today and decided to make my own. Lemon juice, a hefty amount of xylitol dissolved in hot water. Combine the elements. Bottled, put in fridge. I just diluted the result and if I say so myself, it’s pretty tasty. Way better than anything I have tried since diagnosis. Of course xylitol is not cheap but it’s currently on ‘buy one get one half price’ at a well known health food store.

We all buy our own, other than a few lucky people. (Type 2s that is)

The most popular meters for self funding T2's are the Codefree and the Tee2 because the strips are much cheaper than other meters, and you need a lot of strips. You can't buy them in pharmacies.

Try here for the Codefree meter
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips
http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk. (applied at the check out stage)
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

The Tee2 is here and the meter is free.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for either meter)

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to all. Re the meters, well my neighbour was given one by his GP. So no real consistency despite living in same area. No surprise there then.
He gave me a spare one tonight, bless him. Plus the extras. So, testing commences. Makes sense to me to try foods such as basmati brown rice and check for my response. Am trying hard to lose weight but the meds I am on metformin, statin, antihypertensive are no help with this. Plus the demon guts just to make life interesting.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you to all. Re the meters, well my neighbour was given one by his GP. So no real consistency despite living in same area. .

Depending on medication prescribed e.g. insulin , some T2s are given meters and supplies.

As for a tasty sugar free cold drink I use herbal tea bags, no added sugars or sweeteners, mixed berries is a favourite and it doesn't have any affect on my BG levels

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does wine count as juice?
Heheheh. Read last week a glass - or two - of red wine is ok. Just as well, I have a decent wine rack in my kitchen and no chance am i giving away my nice Bordeaux, dream on. I can just about handle disposal of ketchup and my lovely chilli sauce but not my wine

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to all. Re the meters, well my neighbour was given one by his GP. So no real consistency despite living in same area. No surprise there then.
He gave me a spare one tonight, bless him. Plus the extras. So, testing commences. Makes sense to me to try foods such as basmati brown rice and check for my response. Am trying hard to lose weight but the meds I am on metformin, statin, antihypertensive are no help with this. Plus the demon guts just to make life interesting.
That's great, that you can start testing straight away. Which meter did your neighbour give you? When you have used up the strips he gave you with it, it would be worth checking how much supplies of strips are going to cost. As Bluetit pointed out, there is a huge variation in price between the various brands. You may be shocked to find how much even the cheaper strips cost.

I believe Metformin is usually thought to help with weight loss.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Heheheh. Read last week a glass - or two - of red wine is ok. Just as well, I have a decent wine rack in my kitchen and no chance am i giving away my nice Bordeaux, dream on. I can just about handle disposal of ketchup and my lovely chilli sauce but not my wine

I always have chilli sauce on the go, although I would always turn my nose up at sweet chilli sauce. I also my my own hot, hot, madly hot chilli oil, which is wonderful for all manner of "stuff".

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Red wine is great for T2, also most spirits with sugar free mixers. Enjoy your Bordeaux. :)

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Always like a bit of wine at weekends. I also have a fair bit of decent fizz in the house but that seems to be a tad more tricky in terms of afterwards. Ah well, it’s trial and error at the moment. So armed with my gifted GlucoZen auto I tested pre meal = 10.4
Had a try at brown rice stir fry with a chunk of salmon and two hours later tested as 12.9. Problem is that I am so new at this I really don’t know if that’s an alarming spike or an ok response. Guidance would be appreciated.

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apologies...didn’t reply re the chili sauce. Sadly I love a particular brand of sweet chili sauce, delicious...but now the stash I have in my cupboard is going to be rehomed. Such is life. So yesterday I got my jar of hot chili...I do mean hot...and mixed it with a bit of water and xylitol. Not a bad first effort and perks up the tomato juice no end. I wait for some bunny to tell me “ooooh tomato juice is on the forbidden list”.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @rosco 2,
My wife squeezes about 3 to 4 lemons and adds it all ( all the strained-out fibre and stuff but not the pips) to a one liter jug and adds purified/filtered water. In summertime ice blocks are added. We don't add anything else. She also makes up some lemon cordial and freezes it in an ice-block tray for use when we run short of lemons. ( I do the lemon cordial round too as I am 'house-trained'.
What is written below should be discussed with your doctor/nurse/dietician first before embarking on anything diet-wise.
If you look up on the net 'mendosa.com' you will find information on Glucose Index (GI) of foods ( GI = the amount of effect on blood glucose of a food over time compared to straight sugar as a percentage where sugar = 100%) Here is the understanding I use to make sense of what he writes about.
For diabetics the longer the sugar from the food takes to get into the blood stream as glucose, the less high spike in blood sugar that occurs. So a lower GI value is better than a high GI value and a GI of less than 55 is recommended.
You will also notice that a full fat ice-cream has a lower GI value that a low fat ice-cream for the same sugar content. The reason given is that fat in a food slows down the passage of food from our stomach to our small intestine where the glucose is absorbed from.
To make things more challenging there is also a value called Glucose Loading (GL) which is about the concentration of sugar in the food and a GL reading of less than 10 is said to be ideal for diabetics.
Of course these values are estimated on individual foods and when we have a meal the influence of other factors comes in such as fat etc. But you mentioned what you like brown rice. You will see in the tables that certain types of rice have lower GIs than others and if you wish to follow the GI/GL value scheme you may wish to choose a brown rice variety of a lower GI.
For your edification also look at the low carb diet on the diabetes.co.uk website.
Hope that helps !!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah well, it’s trial and error at the moment. So armed with my gifted GlucoZen auto I tested pre meal = 10.4
Had a try at brown rice stir fry with a chunk of salmon and two hours later tested as 12.9. Problem is that I am so new at this I really don’t know if that’s an alarming spike or an ok response. Guidance would be appreciated.

The ideal is to keep any rise from before eating to the 2 hour mark down as low as you can. Definitely under 2mmol/l and preferably a lot less. With brown rice it is also wise to continue testing after the 2 hour mark as it can peak later on. It isn't just a matter of how high the spike is, it is also a matter of how long it takes you to return to base.

I would suggest you avoid the rice because your starting levels are still very high. The higher you start the higher you finish, and double figures are not good.