Type 1 Honeymoon phase: when/how long?

nicki92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 at the end of September, out of hospital and injecting insulin since early October.
When I was diagnosed my BMI was slightly underweight, though I think by now it's back to being within the healthy range.
My bolus ratio is currently 1 unit for 10g carbs (breakfast & dinner) and 0.5 for 10g carbs (lunch & snacks), and my basal is 6 units.

I've heard a lot about the honeymoon phase, but despite a lot of searching online I haven't found anything about when it typically starts or how long it usually lasts for. I'm guessing that's because it varies so much, but I would like to at least have some more of an understanding.

Maybe others wouldn't mind sharing their experiences? I just don't know whether I'm already in the honeymoon phase or if I'm still waiting for it to happen at some point; whether my insulin amounts are going to suddenly need increasing tomorrow or in a year's time, etc. In the hospital it was established that I'm pretty sensitive to insulin - hence my low amounts - is this due to my size? (that part might be a separate question, sorry, just trying to get my head around things as much as possible)

Thank you for any advice or experiences shared!

Reactions: Bexy190

alexandra98

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

When I was diagnosed I was told that the honeymoon phase would start a week - a month after taking insulin and would last for 6 months - a year. Of course this is just what one nurse told me and mightn't be true for everyone. There were about five times in the space of the two years after diagnosis that I thought 'this must be my honeymoon phase ending' but I have no real idea of when it actually was. As long as you keep checking your BGs and increase/decrease insulin levels slowly and safely you should be okay!

Reactions: nicki92

nicki92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

When I was diagnosed I was told that the honeymoon phase would start a week - a month after taking insulin and would last for 6 months - a year. Of course this is just what one nurse told me and mightn't be true for everyone. There were about five times in the space of the two years after diagnosis that I thought 'this must be my honeymoon phase ending' but I have no real idea of when it actually was. As long as you keep checking your BGs and increase/decrease insulin levels slowly and safely you should be okay!

Hi @alexandra98 , thank you for the reply!

I've heard the phrase so much but had absolutely no idea when/for how long this should happen!
Re adjusting insulin: I've assumed so far I should just do exactly as my doctors say. Would you say that if I think it needs adjusting I should talk to the doctor before doing so?

My first week out of hospital I was having a (light) hypo every day ~2 hours after breakfast, so I knew my breakfast ratio was too high but I waited until my next appointment (a few days later) with the diabetes advisor to change it. She agreed but I did have to speak to the doctor to get the ratio "officially" changed!

I live in Germany so maybe things are slightly different here, I'm just curious because I've also seen a lot of comments generally about adjusting insulin

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Well my honeymoon phase lasted 6-7 years! There are different causes of beta cell death and in my case I believe a virus was at work. My insulin needs have gradually increased during the 5years or so that I've been on Basal/Bolus. Just be prepared to increase your insulin as needed in the future. You are already carb-counting which is good. Check your Basal every so often. A Libre 2 is ideal to manage your insulin but if you split your Basal you will need different amounts between the two injections.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3 years so far! I also have odd weeks where my pancreas seems to fire up and my insulin needs drop - but those happen less often now.

I change my insulin ratios as and when needed.

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Nicki92,

Most Honeymoons will start between the 3 and 6 month mark, once we start injectable insulin. If after a year, you don't need to decrease the amount of insulin you require, then it's extremely unlikely you will get a honeymoon, although not impossible. If you get 1 Honeymoon, you will not get a 2nd either.

Personally, mine started between 3 and 4 months after starting Insulin and I came off everything. I didn't even need to use Nova rapid for meals or fizzy drinks!! This lasted from August 2020 to April / May 2021.

I believe the reason some have Honeymoons and some don't, is down to the different Antibodies we have and how they are working destructively, along with the time you managed to catch your Type 1 diagnosis and the way you approach injectable Insulin at the beginning. So quite a few factors come into play. My Pancreas, is no better or worse than anyone else's with Type 1. We all get Type 1 Diabetes through different circumstances and react to it very different.

If you asked me what would I want to do going back to August 2020? Honeymoon or No Honeymoon, I would strangely take the NO HONEYMOON. Reason being, is that I programmed my mind to prepare for diabetes and had very good control of it and myself internally. Coming off insulin and seeing scores of 3.2 and 3.5 naturally triggered anxiety, but I needed to trust my Liver to dump it's Glycogen and bring me back up to 5.5... Having said that, it was great to go out to eat and drink, without the needle kits! Swings and Roundabouts. Still, I'd rather no Type 1 in the first place :banghead: