Honeymoon

Tennisplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Newly diagnosed LADA. On Tresiba only at bedtime. Finished cgm trial a few weeks ago with average A1C of 5.8 and only 3% outside range. Relaxed low carb restrictions a bit, now have a cold. Tresiba pen was outside in a bag in my car during a snowstorm for several hours last weekend. Things are settling down, diet back to normal low carb levels and blood sugar reading are very high - over 200 after meals and all evening. Upped Tresiba two units last night at bedtime with no change in fasting level (131). Wondering what's likely happening. Is the Tresiba bad, is my honeymoon ending, or is it the sniffles I am dealing with?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Could be any of the above, I'm afraid. But bear in mind that tresiba's long acting nature means that you wouldn't get any quick results from it.
1) Change insulin cartridge in tresiba pen!
2) Phone your diabetic clinic/nurse for advice. I'd be really hesitant to increase a very very long acting insulin for something that might be short term (cold or bad insulin vial).

And congrats on your awesome A1C and cgm results.

Reactions: Tennisplayer

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Most insulins will remain OK when at room temperature or below for around 4 weeks when in use in a pen so the snow storm should have had no effect.

Reactions: Tennisplayer

notria

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A simple cold or stress will usually increase your BS.