Hospital not offering t slim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I’ve been a Medtronic user for around 18 years. (Currently on 670g & Libre 2) I’m due a new pump next month and was excited to get onto closed loop. My hospital only offers Medtronic and Omnipod/dexcom.
After doing a lot of research the system I know would be best for me is the T slim/dexcom. I constantly tweak basal settings,l to get the best results and I don’t think the Omnipod algorithm would be best for this. I’ve tried the Guardian sensors before and I absolutely hated them! So much so that I’d rather stay off closed loop for a while if that’s my only option.

I wanted to ask if anyone has somehow successfully got a pump by changing hospitals? Or in any other way? Whatever I choose I obviously have to live with for 4 years, and I’d really love to be able to get the technology which works best for me!

(I know we all would, and I do understand how lucky I am to even be offered this technology on the nhs, and I’m not complaining, just want to try my best!)

• Optimistic
Reactions: Antje77

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear your issues, isn't there a looping version of the Medtronic ?.

Like you pre looping I always tweeked, but you'll find when looping that you cannot continue to tweek as it messes with the looping algorithm, I had to stop tweeking basal settings and do my best to stop corrections too. Hope you can get sorted.

Reactions: Horacethesheep
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear your issues, isn't there a looping version of the Medtronic ?.

Like you pre looping I always tweeked, but you'll find when looping that you cannot continue to tweek as it messes with the looping algorithm, I had to stop tweeking basal settings and do my best to stop corrections too. Hope you can get sorted.
Thanks, there is but the sensors that go with it are (to me anyway!) a nightmare. I also really struggle to put them on my arms and I’m starting to get a bit of abdomen scarring.

I believe that the t slim has options for different bolus settings for exercise etc. that the Omnipod doesn’t have, another reason to want to t slim!

Can I ask which system you’re on and if you’d recommend it?

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went with Tslim mainly because it integrates with the Dexcom sensors. It does have sleep mode which works very well for me and exercise mode which doesn't. But overall I'm very happy with the system and never had such good control.

I believe you can change hospitals or diabetes centers - not something I've done. I guess giving your preferred hospital a call would be a start or asking your GP?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe a daft question, but have you 'stated your case' to the hospital you're currently seen by, as I'm aware of people who have got a specific pump not routinely offered by their clinic.

Reactions: EllieM
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I went with Tslim mainly because it integrates with the Dexcom sensors. It does have sleep mode which works very well for me and exercise mode which doesn't. But overall I'm very happy with the system and never had such good control.

I believe you can change hospitals or diabetes centers - not something I've done. I guess giving your preferred hospital a call would be a start or asking your GP?
To be honest changing my hospital would probably be a good idea, not least because it’s impossible to get in touch with them! I have emailed them to ask but it was before Christmas and I’ve had no response (pretty typical!)
My pump warranty is up in March so I thought I’d better start now incase I need to prepare anything for then!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe a daft question, but have you 'stated your case' to the hospital you're currently seen by, as I'm aware of people who have got a specific pump not routinely offered by their clinic.
My appointment is in March but I thought I’d better start researching more now incase I have to “present” any info to them to try and sort it out!

It’s great that you’ve heard of that happening though, very encouraging…

• Friendly
Reactions: Hopeful34

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, there is but the sensors that go with it are (to me anyway!) a nightmare. I also really struggle to put them on my arms and I’m starting to get a bit of abdomen scarring.

I believe that the t slim has options for different bolus settings for exercise etc. that the Omnipod doesn’t have, another reason to want to t slim!

Can I ask which system you’re on and if you’d recommend it?
I'm on the t:slim and do make use of the sleep and exercise modes, sleep keeps me within range all night, exercise is a bit of hit an miss as you need to remember to start it maybe an hour before and stop it when finished but seem to find I go high after and never really sorted that so just live with it.

Reactions: eventhorizon

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Tbh I struggle with exercise mode on T-Slim and go hypo alot as a result, the only way i've found round it is to turn off control IQ an hour beforehand and with no quick acting insulin on board but it's difficult remembering to do it every time so i mostly have to top up with carbs, it's the only downside to the T Slim as far as I am concerned.

My advice is to do your research and find out first who does offer it and get your DSN on board with your decision too to support you.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tbh I struggle with exercise mode on T-Slim and go hypo alot as a result, the only way i've found round it is to turn off control IQ an hour beforehand and with no quick acting insulin on board but it's difficult remembering to do it every time so i mostly have to top up with carbs, it's the only downside to the T Slim as far as I am concerned.

My advice is to do your research and find out first who does offer it and get your DSN on board with your decision too to support you.
Same here. Exercise mode will result in a hypo. I choose to suspend insulin for an hour. Then you'll get a reminder to restart.

Reactions: Chas C