Hot weather, frequent lows, T1D

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi all, whilst lots of us love the hot weather, I definitely don't. I live with T1D and have for the last 45 years. On a Tandem Control IQ pump with Dexcom sensor.

For me as soon as the weather rises to above 22 degrees C, down my bg's go like a bullet, despite reduced insulin levels. Does anyone have the same issue?

Interested to know, thanks, Sally

Reactions: noidea21 and EJTC

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I definitely need less basal when its hotter, sometimes less bolus as well

Reactions: sallymac65

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Sally. I'm a T2, but also on insulin - using MDI and also take Janumet 2x daily. Up until last year I was using a mixed insulin and every summer my levels would DROP big time. After last summer, when I ended up in ER several times because of lows, my NP and I decided to try a long lasting before bed and a rapid acting with meals. I had 1 low this summer so far, but the snuck up on us. When it gets hot (above 80 here), I lower my base unit by 2 and if I have pasta I only add 2 extra units, except for breakfast. Breakfast I am still at my regular base units.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Sally, yes I've got the same issue when it's hot. It's especially difficult when the temperature keeps chopping and changing!!

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi Sally, yes I've got the same issue when it's hot. It's especially difficult when the temperature keeps chopping and changing!!
Absolutely, consistency is what I like, can't see it happening any time soon though, unfortunately. Thanks for your response, good to know others have a similar issue.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm on MDI. I keep reducing my doses until the lows stop. On my last trip to Australia, I had to keep halving my doses until the lows stopped which was much more drastic than the UK weather.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too...

Puts me off going on holiday they can be so unpredictable in hot weather

Reactions: EJTC

luv2spin

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
people who think they know about Diabetes, but they really don't
Yup, I have the same issue and you are not alone in this. Hot weather drops BG radically in my case too and, I consume lots of fresh water all through the day and night hoping it might help and nothing else like coffee and such.

PWD are more sensitive to high temperatures and humidity and with diabetes one tend to get dehydrated more quickly than people without diabetes. Dehydration can change your blood glucose levels. One may develop a more frequent need to urinate, which compounds the problem. Additionally, high temps can alter how one's body uses insulin. Typically, if you’re exercising, it reduces your need for insulin. But hot weather can throw a wrench into that, and you may be at risk for both high and low blood glucose levels. Adjusting insulin, if need be, to account for the activity level and the weather does normally help.

Humidity, that is the extra moisture in the air can make the heat feel worse. When it’s humid, your sweat doesn’t evaporate as well as it would under drier conditions. That makes it harder to stay cool, and that can make it harder for you to keep your blood glucose levels under control.

Managing your diabetes carefully is the best way to stay on top of the situation.

This is my personal experience;

Drinking plenty of water and avoiding dehydration which is critical, so you’ll want to make sure you’re keeping up your fluid intake. But skipping any kind of other beverages.

Dress for the weather. That means lightweight, loose-fitting clothes to help keep yourself cool, especially if I plan to spend time outside.

Staying in the shade as much as possible.

Summer can be a marvelous time with diabetes too:).

Annie02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The heat for me can make my blood glucose high if I go away on holidays or very low I find it very difficult to get my bloods under control when I’m away on holidays and even if I’m at home!! So I’m very interested to see how you all cope. Thanks for those who shared it’s unfortunately good for me to hear that I’m not alone

Reactions: noidea21 and himtoo

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
SALLYMAC65
YEP SAME with me last 2 day working on new gate and fencing fo a new doggy proofing at sister in laws monring after breakfast then snacks all the day to stop going low also pump at 50 % afternoon the same but he ho still GOING ON with life
MAY I ASK how do you find your pump and filling up with insulin any probs with AIR Bubbles VIC 67 insulin user VIA NEEDLE S AND PUMP

AngelinaJ

Hi all, whilst lots of us love the hot weather, I definitely don't. I live with T1D and have for the last 45 years. On a Tandem Control IQ pump with Dexcom sensor.

For me as soon as the weather rises to above 22 degrees C, down my bg's go like a bullet, despite reduced insulin levels. Does anyone have the same issue?

Me too.
Every summer causes me a problem with hypos and this year some severe ones especially overnight.
I have been using a Medtronic pump and freestyle sensor and have been Type 1 for 38 years, I’m now 63.
I reduce my basal line by nearly 40% (.25u per hour overnight) and I’m still having at least one hypo per day.
Interestingly I noted someone had mentioned hydration and drinking water frequently throughout the day seems to help stabilise my level. Will ask my doctor about that too and monitor that more closely!
Good to know I’m not alone!

Reactions: himtoo

Bristol Rich

Bristol Rich

Hi Sally, you’re not the only one. I’m a T1 also; since 1968. On 5 insulin injections daily. 27°C is my magic No! With rapid changes. Keep cool by trying to stay in the shade or a breeze. Also ensure you don’t reduce your carbs as I often wish to because I’m drinking more & feeling full! I also use my medium speed Novorapid in preference to the faster acting Fiasp