Hot weather

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
My BS levels have stayed more or less the same in this hot weather but I have very swollen ankles :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Has anyone else had this problem in hot weather?

I tend to go higher than usual in hot weather and have to increase my basal. I got 'caught out' recently and let my basal insulin get too hot which spoiled it. Took a couple of days to work out what was going on.

In my experience dehydration can also contribute to higher BS levels, so drink loads (of water) during the heatwave.

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
I'm the opposite.

Hot weather always makes my levels low. Its a known fact that insulin gets absorbed quicker in hot conditions. Hypo's are a lot more likely.
I have the same problem yesterday even on half dosage of Novorapid and little exertion I had 8 hypos. This morning I woke up low and had breakfast then when blood sugar was up to 6 I took a quarter of my usual dose, one hour later I was on 2. I have always struggled in the summer heat. The only advice I can give is test every two hours regardless of how you feel and stock up on lollies and keep a good supply of fruit juice to hand.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yay!
Just in time for the thunderstorms coming across the Uk, the next #gbdoc tweet chat on Wednesday evening at 9pm will be about hot weather and diabetes!