Hovis low carb

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Popped into local Tesco to get Hovis low carb bread only to be told they decided not to stock it any more.
Carried on to Morrisons which is where I usually get it to find shelves empty. Member of staff tells me it is unavailable. As it is the only bread my diabetic nurse recommends I find this somewhat worrying.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same boat here @malcs90...
have tried sourdough, bread i seem to scrape by on the meter if i keep to only one slice
but not the perfect solution.

Much as i try following all your good advice, sadly that craving for bread has not gone away, @bulkbiker

Reactions: jacko1970s

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Popped into local Tesco to get Hovis low carb bread only to be told they decided not to stock it any more.
Carried on to Morrisons which is where I usually get it to find shelves empty. Member of staff tells me it is unavailable. As it is the only bread my diabetic nurse recommends I find this somewhat worrying.
Ocado still stock it - I get several loaves for my mum and freeze it
It sends my sugars too high but I find other lower carb breads are ok such as
https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Carbzone-Low-Carb-Protein-Bread/304465011
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/produ...RCSPsRYbTa-IDqVlECBoCYFkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
http://www.hi-lo-bread.co.uk/

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same boat here @malcs90...
have tried sourdough, bread i seem to scrape by on the meter if i keep to only one slice
but not the perfect solution.

Much as i try following all your good advice, sadly that craving for bread has not gone away, @bulkbiker

Possibly because you carry on feeding the craving?
Go cold turkey for a month with no bread or bread type stuff and you'll have ditched the habit forever.. Your body will love you for it...

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go cold turkey for a month with no bread or bread type stuff and you'll have ditched the habit forever.. Your body will love you for it...

Yes that is the most sensible way.

I have never understood the advice sometimes given to experiment and test & test. I would never have managed to achieve non diabetic levels if I’d kept experimenting and eating the foodstuffs that made me diabetic in the first place.

After a couple of years of eating very low carb I can now experiment occasionally without reigniting any cravings from a position of strength.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

well, @bulkbiker ...i suppose, new years resolutions coming up, MIGHT be a good time..mmhh

@britishpub ..that does make sense.

However, like all things in life we are different in how we assess, things..like risk perhaps.

I'll happily accept more then some, yet baulk at what others do so recklessly, in my mind.

thanks both, will mull over the advice ..cheers

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never understood the advice sometimes given to experiment and test & test. I would never have managed to achieve non diabetic levels if I’d kept experimenting and eating the foodstuffs that made me diabetic in the first place.

DSNs have a habit of "trollying" out all sorts of general "advice."
I see the meter use more like a "polygraph" regarding the BG effects on these diatary recomendations...? ;)

Dmac 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Dmac 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lidle do a low hi bread, I’ve used i, it works well and I think it tastes great.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Bergen Linseed and Soya bread. It is a normal size loaf, nice thickish slices, toasts well, and has 11g carbs per slice. Not as low carb as some, but half a slice is usually enough for me with an occasional full slice. Available in Sainsburys and Tesco.

Reactions: keefidee

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Obviously it has now become available as it is back on Morrisons shelves. I don't eat a lot of bread and find the lower carb keeps well without going mouldy. My diabetes is controlled by low carb diet between 40 and 60g per day. Have fallen off the bandwagon a bit this Christmas but have. Mostly kept below 100g.

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use the Morrisons High Protein bread - I find it has no negative effect on my levels. The Lidl one is a low GI one in the fresh breads section.