How Can I be "cured" according to GP?

BeccaJaneStClair

*sigh*

I was in for a blood test, and I glanced at the nurses' screen because she couldn't find a December review in the system (even tho I had written it down on my calendar "make appt in Dec" and the diabetic nurse told me she wanted to see me in Dec at my June appt) Under my annual review date (in March) it says "if result still normal, mark as" and then it was a word starting with an R, but I can't remember what the word was, but the basic jist of it was that my GP was going to call me "cured" in March if I still have a normal HBA1c.

My HBA1c was 36 in June after being 50 when I was diagnosed in March and in both September and November it was 34 (Sept and Nov done for pre-conception clinic).

The pre-conception nurse told me that it takes five years of consistent normal range HBA1c results to be dropped down to a pre-diabetes diagnosis and 10 years to be considered "medically cured", but she didn't feel it would happen to me because I do plan on (hopefully!) having a baby within the next few years and she said that would probably push things up again.

So my question is, why is this note in my file with the GP office signed "per MH" (MH is the initials of my GP)? It's bad enough he told me he can't give me Metformin or Clomid for my PCOS and I have been waiting for a referral to a Gyn, but now he might class me as non-diabetic? Will that mess with my appointments with the pre-conception clinic if my file doesn't say I'm diabetic? And aren't I still diabetic even with low HBA1c results?

minitata

my doctor told me that I will always be considered to be a diabetic. Though my numbers are good, I'll always have to work at keeping them down. I know myself that I am a real diabetic because if I eat anything high carbohydrate my glucose reading goes above the non-diabetic range.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've read that you can reverse diabetes - but haven't read about it being cured. I thought once you had it you had it for life, BUT it can be greatly reduced by low carb diet/exercise and sometimes medication. I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will come along and let us know :?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
As yet it can't be cured, it can only be controlled.

I'm very well-controlled - normally I never go outside the non-diabetic blood glucose levels, and my HbA1c has been in the mid to low 5s for 2 years. But over the last 3 weeks I have been away for a few days, I've eaten out a lot, and probably increased my carb intake to around 100g daily instead of my usual less than 50g.

Sure enough, my BG has gone up - not frighteningly, not into double figures (apart from the time I ate 2 mince pies :shock: :oops: ), and I am dreading my next HbA1c (next Thursday). I'm certainly not "cured", and if I added pies, pasta, pizza, potatoes and bread back into my regular diet, it would very soon show.

When first registered as diabetic I discussed this with my practice nurse. There is a box on the registration form that says "cured", or something similar, but in my opinion, and hers, this is just ridiculous. At present, the only way I can stop being Type 2 diabetic - however well-controlled I am - is to die!

I'm sure good control can stop this progressive condition in its tracks - or at least slow it down. But it's a lifelong condition, and if they tried to take my monitor & test strips, my annual review, my eye tests, and my regular HbA1c's away from me, I'd fight like h**l to keep them. I manage my own diabetes, but I do need to know how I'm doing.

IMHO, anyway. :D

Viv 8)

hallii

If there is any doubt just ask for a GTT, even if your BGs are well controlled this test will show whether or not you are "cured" or just well controlled.

It seems odd to me that just because someone works hard at controlling T2 and is successful, then they run the risk of being reclassified as something other than a full blown diabetic.

I have been well controlled for many years but I would strongly object to being told I could no longer have my regular check ups.

The fact is, I have yet to hear of anyone who has been dignosed as type 2 who can resume eating normal amounts of carbs, sugar etc, without raising BGs to diabetic levels.

H

BeccaJaneStClair

Thank you all. That's exactly what I thought too -- being told "you're cured!" makes it sound like it's totally okay to go back to eating white bread, pasta, potatoes, cake, chocolate, etc and that's really just not on at all!

I will fight this hard and insist on the GTT in March if he tries to tell me I'm cured because like all of you, I acknowledge that I will always be diabetic as I do not possess a magic pancreas.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have high blood pressure, had it as long as I can remember but since being diabetic I have been prescribed (runs to medicine cupboard to check :D ) Diltiazem Hydrochloride - Adizem-SR™ and my blood pressure is now normal, that doesnt mean I dont have high blood pressure it means my high blood pressure is currently under control.

Similarly my diabetes is not cured but is under control thanks to the metformin I take and the lifestyle I have adopted, normal HbA1c but still a diabetic :D

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sid Bonkers said:
Similarly my diabetes is not cured but is under control thanks to the metformin I take and the lifestyle I have adopted, normal HbA1c but still a diabetic :D

I think the people here who are being declared "cured" by their GP's are those on diet plus exercise only... anyone still on medication for diabetes but achieving good figures is most certainly not "cured"...

I'm expecting them to claim I've gone back to merely being pre-diabetic... I'll still be having annual checks as I'm over 50 and fall into the category where they have to give me an annual check...

I'm achieving good personal figures according to my own meter (which I had to purchase myself no thanks to them) and the diet they kept trying to push on me most certainly does not work as I've got the numbers to prove it... only eating to my meter is working for me... and they should be thankful that with self testing, I'm not progressing to require medication for my diabetes and free prescriptions and also suffering complications as a result of the high glucose levels I'd be having on their stupid diet...

alsida

Dislikes
I HATE BEING LABELLED DIABETIC!!!
I really understand your concern here. I was diagnosed as a T2 diabetic on 31st May last year. I was told I had 3 months to sort myself out. I was diet and exercise controlled and after 3 months I was hba1c 5.8. In October this year had my annual hba1c and it was 6.3 - but apparently I am no longer diabetic, I am pre-diabetic. I have lost my eye screening, test strips, my annual review - everything. I was furious but the docs say I should be pleased. But, if I was diabetic at 5.8, surely I am at 6.3 :?

Please keep us updated if you find anything else out. All I have managed to find out is that the levels for classification have been changed. The medics seem to think that I should be really happy about this revelation :x

However, I still have a few test strips left and randomly check my BG - this morning when I got up it was 9.3. Is that normal?

I really wish you well in your quest for answers, and sympathise with the resistance and difficulty you will encounter from the medics.

Good luck.

Lozzybabyw

I have been diagnosed as borderline diabetic type 2. I have just completed my tests/screenings for the first time. I don't get anything to check my levels & have only to be going by how I feel to know how things are for me. My doctor said on a routine appointment that she went on to a course. If you lose a stone then you will no longer be diabetic! I am told diet & exercise are the key. I have a few health issues which led me to diagnosis, though am also being told I'm not bad enough for it to be my diabetes! I'm nearly 13 stone & I am blindly trying to work out what foods.. I've been told yes to carbs & by someone else no! I have not a clue! All I know is type 2 Diabetes is seen as creating the issue yourself & meaning you need to lose weight & you can be cured! Tick the boxes & cross the t's as it were & then you've beaten diabetes it seems!

RobsterinSheff

Dislikes
Type 2 diabetes; Hashimotos; English weather; arrogant and self centered people
I think the people here who are being declared "cured" by their GP's are those on diet plus exercise only... anyone still on medication for diabetes but achieving good figures is most certainly not "cured"...

I'm expecting them to claim I've gone back to merely being pre-diabetic... I'll still be having annual checks as I'm over 50 and fall into the category where they have to give me an annual check...

I don't think I really agree with these statements.

You are still diabetic i.e. if you had the gold standard GTT you'd most likely still show a T2DM response. You are well controlled and- as yet- can manage this control with diet and exercise alone: you were probably 'caught' very early on so count yourself fortunate that your HCPs did a good job in your case. As someone else said up the thread, if you started to eat your old diet and perhaps swap a gym visit or two a week for the couch and a DVD you'd likely see your numbers go up again.

As far as medication is concerned there are actually CvD benefits over and above the modest HBA1c impact that metformin provides. If you can tolerate it- and many can't- there is no reason not to have it. After my last numbers my GP asked if I wanted to try diet and exercise alone for the next 6 months. I said. "nope".

To the OP- no you cant be 'cured' of T2DM. But you can 'well control'/ put your T2DM into (effective) remission. If you have managed that then you have done very very well and should be proud.

Lozzybabyw

I am thankful that I haven't got it worse.. I was diagnosed in October & all what you have mentioned so far with the Test showing I don't know what it means. I have been diagnosed I am trying to eat the foods that are good rather than bad but aren't sure even now what that is.. So trying the healthier route. I have gained weight as was quite ill in the past month so wasn't as active either. I am making strides to get back to it though. This isn't me saying.. My doctor said if I lost a stone I would be cured! I don't see how this can be either.. My doctor says I don't need medication & no need to test as I am borderline.. I am confused & not sure what i'm doing with diet exercise other than trying hard to get healthier.. Thank you though as I will research these tests etc