how can I have fish?

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello!

I am new to cooking and I want to eat fish. I want a piece without bones, thick and tasty. Preferably high in fat.

Can you tell me please what to buy from Tesco? I want to grill it (or the grill will smell fish forever?)

Something like that:
FNM-110109-Chairmans-Challenge-015_s4x3_lead.jpg

Does it have to be frozen or fresh? Ideally I dont want to have to defrost it. Do I need to prepare it somehow? Wash it etc?

thanks!

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in Canada so I'm not sure what's available or inexpensive at Tesco, but here are 2 of my favourite grilled fish:

I love grilled salmon. You will want to defrost it first if it's frozen. Then you can dress it with whatever you like, and cook on a low-heat grill--delicious! On salmon I like garlic & dill, but there are lots of yummy soy based glazes as well (just watch the carbs in those).

I also love to grill tuna, but it can be pricey, so in my mind it's a special occasion treat. I like to brush the tuna steak with a sauce made from: lime juice, cumin, chili powder, cayenne to taste & garlic. Then grill to slightly char. Great with avocado on top!

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello!

I am new to cooking and I want to eat fish. I want a piece without bones, thick and tasty. Preferably high in fat.

Can you tell me please what to buy from Tesco? I want to grill it (or the grill will smell fish forever?)

Something like that:

Does it have to be frozen or fresh? Ideally I dont want to have to defrost it. Do I need to prepare it somehow? Wash it etc?

thanks!

Sad to say fish do come with bones. You have to select the right ones and even then know where they are going to be. Most filleted fish will be bone free, haddock, salmon, cod to name three. Haddock may have some small ones round the top end in the middle and the sides, they are easy to cut out. Salmon, if it has any, will have big ones, which you cannot miss. Cod loin tends to be bone free.
How to cook. fry gently in butter in a non stick pan a couple of minutes each side, depending on how thick they are. If you want to coat them a low carb form is ground almonds, beat an egg, cover the fish in the egg mix and then coat with almonds and fry in butter.
Don't really need to wash fish before cooking.
These fish are available at my local tesco, though if you have a fishmonger locally or a market try that. I get my fish from a door to door man, which are still quite common in my part of Scotland.
Fish is good. I have it two to three times a week.

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Salmon is the second best fish for high fat commonly available in supermarkets. Tesco do single salmon portions for £1.75. Don't use your grill or you will be trying to clean it for ever - it will smell every time you switch it on. To get something like your picture, sprinkle the salmon with soy sauce, lime juice & fresh chopped chilli. Place it in a hot omelette/frying pan and place a lid over the salmon. Switch off the heat and it should be cooked through in about 5 mins.

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can ONLY use my grill! I don't have other facilities.
By the way, what the first best option above salmon?
It seems salmon is the way to go. My grill is very powerful, will it be okay? How should I cook it? I think it has a fish setting though.

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Could use a disposable roasting bag to prevent the grill from smelling. It won't chargrill much though.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
*Tesco* actually sell fish fillets that are cooked already. Look pretty much the same as those in your photo, @greener . Lucky, huh? But your next question will be "how do I heat it"? You can work that out, I am sure.
*Other retail outlets are also available*

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
*Tesco* actually sell fish fillets that are cooked already. Look pretty much the same as those in your photo, @greener . Lucky, huh? But your next question will be "how do I heat it"? You can work that out, I am sure.
*Other retail outlets are also available*

are you sure they sell them grilled? can you show me the link?
I haven't seen anything like that
is it like the real thing?

Could use a disposable roasting bag to prevent the grill from smelling. It won't chargrill much though.

that is very interesting, but will it work with a George Foreman grill or it will melt on the fish?

lizf4619

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The fish with higher fat content than salmon is Mackerel. Fresh fillets are rare in supermarkets. There are lots of bones even when filleted. You can buy smoked Mackerel which is cooked but still not bone free I'm afraid. Just a thought how about salmon or smoked mackerel pate - completely bone free!

greener

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
can you tell me please where to find grill paper/bags? are here in Tesco?
also are they healthy and safe? any reference?
thanks!

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are grilling salmon on a George Foreman grill, don't worry about the smell - a George Foreman grill is really easy to clean because it doesn't cause food to spit fat etc & there won't be an issue with lingering smells so long as you clean it after dinner. Although why you are using a lean mean fat reducing grilling machine when you seem to have a specific desire to increase the fat content of your food is beyond me. Grilling salmon on the George won't do anything to reduce its fat content - nothing drains off - so you'll be fine.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
hello!

Something like that:

thanks!

Salmon, rainbow trout, tuna. Invest in s George Foreman Grill -but get the version with non-stick removable plates which you can just pop in the dish washer. We use it every day and never get any smells from any food including fish.

We got ours from Amazon with full warranty, but a repaired model - one sent out initially and returned for some reason, saved us 40%

We eat loads of fish especially since my diagnosis:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
are you sure they sell them grilled? can you show me the link?
I haven't seen anything like that
is it like the real thing?

that is very interesting, but will it work with a George Foreman grill or it will melt on the fish?

Don't use a bag on a Foreman not a great idea. I think on all models the cooking plates come of for cleaning so you should be ok to just grill as usual then wash clean. I think most of us thought you were grilling in an oven type grill. Might be an idea to open the window though as fish can be a bit smelly. Otherwise if you have a frying pan you could poach the fish in water or fry as usual. Frying will prob be smelly though.

PNJB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can ONLY use my grill! I don't have other facilities.
By the way, what the first best option above salmon?
It seems salmon is the way to go. My grill is very powerful, will it be okay? How should I cook it? I think it has a fish setting though.
Practice makes perfect, so buy a couple of pieces and cook the first one and see what you liked about it, then modify the cooking and flavours to gain improvement on the second piece. Personally I like Cod or Haddock fillet baked in milk (covered with foil) so that it steams in the oven i.e not grilled. (alternaitively whip it into the microwave)Everybody has a microwave, yes?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't use a bag on a Foreman not a great idea. I think on all models the cooking plates come of for cleaning so you should be ok to just grill as usual then wash clean. I think most of us thought you were grilling in an oven type grill. Might be an idea to open the window though as fish can be a bit smelly. Otherwise if you have a frying pan you could poach the fish in water or fry as usual. Frying will prob be smelly though.
Most George Foreman grills do not have removable plates for cleaning

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually cook my fish in foil in the oven because I don't like the smell that permeates the house when grilling or frying it even with all the windows open

A

Avocado Sevenfold

The photograph in the OP is taken from a recipe website. The recipe includes everything a person would need to know.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The best fish to have is sea bass but it is expensive but unlike me I like going for it fresh from the sea as I can spend all day fishing for it but the only fish I don't like is mackerel but it is ment to be good for you as it is full of oil but I only use it as bait for the sea bass. The only problem with sea bass is that it is a bony fish but it is the best fish that is out there on the market and the restaurant's go mad to sell it as a meal but when it is fresh and not frozen and that is with all fish as it is straight away it is perfect it comes straight off the bone and melts in the mouth with a little oil and salt and pepper and straight in the frying pan with a little oil with a little soy sauce and that is all I do with it

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What do you mean when you say you 'only' have a grill? I assume you have a kettle, but are you telling me you have no way of cooking veg? so do you eat it raw? How would you heat up, or make, soup? How do you cook eggs?
If you have a burner, (or a camping stove) you can fry using a heavy bottomed pan (doesn't have to be a frying pan if you're only using a gentle heat). I like cooking fish in a microwave but it takes a bit of practise as its easy to overcook - wrapped in clingfilm with a little butter and/or cream - but gently frying is the easiest in my opinion.
Talk to the man at the fish counter, they sometimes give you a free pot of sauce, and unless you are unlucky and get a youngster on work experience they have some great ideas.
The main thing with fish is not to over cook it or its horrid!

Reactions: 5 people