Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I’m taking Solgar vitamin B supplements at the moment
Have you had blood tests for your actual levels of B12, folate, ferritin etc? When I was first diagnosed I had high blood levels of all of these but on metformin my B12 levels have plummeted and I am sub-optimal even with supplementation. Good luck with increasing the energy content of your diet. Small portions of nice cheeses or full-fat plain yoghurts may be the place to start.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had blood tests for your actual levels of B12, folate, ferritin etc? When I was first diagnosed I had high blood levels of all of these but on metformin my B12 levels have plummeted and I am sub-optimal even with supplementation. Good luck with increasing the energy content of your diet. Small portions of nice cheeses or full-fat plain yoghurts may be the place to start.

I will have blood test for B vitamins end of Jan

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But you have said you won’t eat sat fat!
I’m leaving now as I suspect you are playing a silly game of attention seeking as your other threads clearly show you know exactly what you’re doing but choose to play ignorant.

Best of luck.
I’m leaving now as I suspect you are playing a silly game of attention seeking as your other threads clearly show you know exactly what you’re doing but choose to play ignorant.

Best of luck.

Thank you!

Just saw this video -

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
These 3 breakfasts work for me:
Raspberries, Blackberries, Strawberries, Blueberries, Red Currents as a base in a bowl. On top of this Walnuts, Pecans, Macadamia, Brazil, a few Cashews, Almonds, Hazelnuts. 2 scoops of full fat Greek Yogurt with sprinkles of spices (ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg) and a line of 100% Montezuma dark chocolate - this is amazing.

Alternatively bacon, eggs, mushrooms (loads) and tomatoes (sometimes onions).

As I must be fat adapted on 2 to 3 days I have no breakfast, but you are not at this stage.

I am able to work out 2 to 3 times a day.

The good fats I use are butter, coconut oil (and real coconut), some olive oil and quality cheese (I lean towards Black Bomber and Wensleydale).

If you check the tragetory of obesity and diabetes since circa 1977 and plot this against the low fat guidelines you may see what is clear to me; prior to these guidelines people used most of the fats I listed, lard, dripping, fatty cuts of meat, full fat milk etc, with much lower rates of obesity and diabetes.

Thank you!

Just saw this video -

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After careful consideration, research and going through all your comments and feedback, I’ve decided to finally put butter and extra virgin olive oil in my vegetables for lunch today.

I feel absolutely full and satiated and no longer afraid of eating fats!

Will also try crispy roast pork / duck tomorrow!

Hope this will be a good start to finally switching to a truly LCHF diet.

Thank you all!!!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you for your advice.

So how do you usually increase your fat intake on a daily basis? Which oils, fats do you use to increase energy levels?

I get my fat from the copious amounts of nuts and seeds (a bit too much), and 100% dark chocolate. The full fat yogurt works well for me and my meal plates do have around 50% vegetables. so lots of bulk. I have less avocado than I used to but at least a half a week. My vegetables and fry ups my wife and I cook in butter mainly with stock (good tip for those who don't like veg). I have fresh coconut and drink the water over 2 days. But most of all I know I use the fat on my body, before my diagnosis there would have been no way I could have eaten either once or twice only a day (with no snacks).

I saw on this video on YouTube and thought it was a lie and not possible, then some of the low carbers on this site talked about OMAD also.

Once I kicked the low fat into touch and got my head around the "good fat" it was a natural progression from 3 meals to 2 to 1 (the thought of 3 meals now I simply could not fit this in, as 2 is an indulgence and I am still full as of the time of writing from my kippers, veg and nuts / berry breakfast this morning). I do remember running out of energy on 5 k power walks and later eating more protein (a whole baked sea bass) when I was in my oats and low fat period. If you can get fat adapted it will be transformational and liberating.

As I said I am a work in progress and need to cut back my amounts, so tonight I will not have a second helping of the day of nuts and berries, just my meal (or I will have just nuts and berries as the meal - I have 30 minutes to make up my mind).

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get my fat from the copious amounts of nuts and seeds (a bit too much), and 100% dark chocolate. The full fat yogurt works well for me and my meal plates do have around 50% vegetables. so lots of bulk. I have less avocado than I used to but at least a half a week. My vegetables and fry ups my wife and I cook in butter mainly with stock (good tip for those who don't like veg). I have fresh coconut and drink the water over 2 days. But most of all I know I use the fat on my body, before my diagnosis there would have been no way I could have eaten either once or twice only a day (with no snacks).

I saw on this video on YouTube and thought it was a lie and not possible, then some of the low carbers on this site talked about OMAD also.

Once I kicked the low fat into touch and got my head around the "good fat" it was a natural progression from 3 meals to 2 to 1 (the thought of 3 meals now I simply could not fit this in, as 2 is an indulgence and I am still full as of the time of writing from my kippers, veg and nuts / berry breakfast this morning). I do remember running out of energy on 5 k power walks and later eating more protein (a whole baked sea bass) when I was in my oats and low fat period. If you can get fat adapted it will be transformational and liberating.

As I said I am a work in progress and need to cut back my amounts, so tonight I will not have a second helping of the day of nuts and berries, just my meal (or I will have just nuts and berries as the meal - I have 30 minutes to make up my mind).

You are an inspiration and I’d love to learn from you to be completely and totally fat adapted.

I cannot and can never go back to my previous life on a high carb diet. That’s gone!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I play tennis at a high level but since I was diagnosed last September I quit the sport, for now anyway.

I just don’t have energy on low carb.

Been told by some people here to increase fat intake but my body would just not switch to a fat burner, unfortunately!

I tried Ketogenic diet for 5-6 weeks and i nearly died for loss of energy. Ketogenic diet is unsustainable and even dangerous.

You’ve got to find the right amount of carb that’s good for you.
But most of all I know I use the fat on my body
Mbaker, I get the idea of being fat adapted, but personally I actually need to GAIN weight, so I can't get my head round using my inadequate fat stores when I exercise. On the other hand, having been puzzled initially by your references to OMAD, I have now naturally slipped into TWOMAD! Like you, I have problems fitting the third one in (timewise). But in view of my weight problem, I feel I should. And I can't say I feel full of energy, far from it. Nor are my meter readings as good as I feel I deserve, which is jolly discouraging.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Which butter, full fat cream, cheese would you recommend?

oldsle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Best of luck.
If you read above, he says he is trying keto again.

Rosalie_900

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have absolutely no energy with lchf diet.

Are you eating enough salt? The low carb diet can make you salt deficient and when that happens you feel very lacking in energy. This can easily be corrected by taking say a teaspoon of bouillon ( e.g. Marigold) containing salt. It should help after 20-30 minutes. It's worth a try.