How can we know "are we in right track or not " ?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

For being T1 person, How can we know that "are we in right track or not " ? What are main symptoms or sign of being on right track ? If we are getting every day bg level within given range, is it ok ?

How can we know we have to give attention to our health ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All,

For being T1 person, How can we know that "are we in right track or not " ? What are main symptoms or sign of being on right track ? If we are getting every day bg level within given range, is it ok ?

How can we know we have to give attention to our health ?

I judge that by my HbA1C, my daily blood tests, and my annual blood tests from the doctor.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If we are getting every day bg level within given range, is it ok ?

Yes that's right, also looking at your SD (Standard Deviation........Google for a full explanation) is also worth checking and keeping an eye on too.

Bg control aside looking at other important factors like weight, bp and cholesterol levels are signs that your on the right track or not.

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply. In annual blood tests, how many type of test do you go for ? I think HbA1C is one part of annual blood test ?
is it require to tell the doctor or will they give the list of all test ? Tomorrow i have to go to hospital for half yearly test.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks for the reply. In annual blood tests, how many type of test do you go for ? I think HbA1C is one part of annual blood test ?
is it require to tell the doctor or will they give the list of all test ? Tomorrow i have to go to hospital for half yearly test.

Diabetes UK have a list of the 15 Healthcare Essentials that people with diabetes should expect to receive, here is a link:

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Managing-your-diabetes/15-healthcare-essentials/

Reactions: Chandradev819

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I judge that by my HbA1C, my daily blood tests, and my annual blood tests from the doctor.

My HbA1C result was 6.1. Sill now i didnot meet with my doctor. In Next Saturday i will show my report with doctor. But eye doctor, she told me you have got so much infection in your eye due to diabetic. She has given some drop to use for 3 months.

But i was not getting irritation or burning in eye. does it really get all diabetic person like me ? how can we keep our eye safe in future ? could you please share experience ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sorry - I don't know anything about eye infections. Diabetes usually causes other damage to the eye sometimes, but I've not heard of infections.

Perhaps it's an ongoing infection that your body is finding hard to get rid of because of the diabetes?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before 6 months i went for complete eye related checkup. At that time there was not any problem. They told your eye is ok. But in future, there might be chance to get glaucoma. So every 6 month you have to come for eye check up. In this 6 months my glucose level was well control, i don't know, why am i getting eye infection ? But my eye is not red or no burning or irritation.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you use contact lenses? Perhaps you could ask your eye doctor what the cause is and where the infection came from, so you can avoid it in future.

I hope it settles down for you.

jonniey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes blood sugar in range is the most important I think. More important than what you eat, but if possible try to have a balanced diet to get all the nutrients your body needs, unfortunately I cant afford such a diet, and try and have a manageable amount of carbohydrates for the day. matching insulin to carbohydrates, that is very important. And always inject for carbohydrates you eat at the time. Try to stay in the range of 4 to 7 without going under 4 and I'd say limit the unhealthy fat you eat. And if you don't drink alcohol don't start! And try not to overlap your insulin, just to have a better idea if you matched your insulin to carbohydrates correctly.