How Come ...

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and my personal inabilities.
Just curious really but how is it that if I prick over 5 apparently I'm unfit to drive but when talking about spikes and such like with my diabetic nurse pricking in the 18's and 19's is just to be ignored?

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you have this back to front

It is below 5 that means you shouldn’t drive not above.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would never ignore readings in the high teens, either.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Under 5 is considered unsafe for driving though I do ride my bike like that..Blood sugars in the teens over a long time are not compatible with long term health (heart, kidneys,eyes, retaining limbs) but you will not crash your car on a high (unless you get blurry vision I suppose).

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks all for the correction it makes more sense but still not happy ignoring spikes, hey ho onward and upward I go with my aching, burning legs and shoulders, as you can tell I'm still new to this but thanks again for the correction.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah - that could be the medication I had dreadful aches and pains, awful itching, everything tasted funny - it was Metformin and Atorvastatin. Bad luck if you aren't taking them - but if you are......

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes my statin never agreed with me. My GP agrees I don't need a statin as I normally walk alot. It's a little up compared to my 3.9 but I feel 4s don't warrant a pill just lifestyle change.
Metformin hasn't given me pain in joints or itchiness but IBS isn't compatable with the med.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know long term poor control is associated with stroke but did not know if it is connected to acute episodes. It seems linked to acidosis and at tleast a type 2 not on drugs should not be getting that right?

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I note that @Grant1969 's profile says he is diet only. You only need to test blood sugars before driving, if you are using insulin or a drug which stimulates your own insulin production. If you are not taking drugs which force down your blood sugar, a reading below 5, eg in the 4's or high 3's, is perfectly normal and your body will bring it up again at the appropriate time. You can drive at these levels, thousands of people do, all the time, with no idea even what blood sugar means.

But, readings in the high teens are dangerous to your health. They need to be dealt with. The first thing I would do is look very hard at what I had been eating.

Sally

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have read that high Bs increases the “ stickiness” of the blood and so increases stroke risk

Grant1969

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I note that @Grant1969 's profile says he is diet only. You only need to test blood sugars before driving, if you are using insulin or a drug which stimulates your own insulin production. If you are not taking drugs which force down your blood sugar, a reading below 5, eg in the 4's or high 3's, is perfectly normal and your body will bring it up again at the appropriate time. You can drive at these levels, thousands of people do, all the time, with no idea even what blood sugar means.

But, readings in the high teens are dangerous to your health. They need to be dealt with. The first thing I would do is look very hard at what I had been eating.

Sally
Thanks for the intel, hehe sorry but the hushed tones and whispers I've seen recently are amusing silly wee me just now, I thought I had updated my profile thing but I started gliclazide two weeks or so ago.