How did you feel about switching onto injections?

mgm4222007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thank you! I didn't plan on doing anything to be honest, then some friends and family decided on a get together in the evening, and it turned out to be a really enjoyable birthday, great company and lots of naughty food :hungry:
well I'm glad it turned out to be so nice. Where do you live? And did you get my lengthy message before the birthday greeting?

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well I'm glad it turned out to be so nice. Where do you live? And did you get my lengthy message before the birthday greeting?

I live in the UK. Where do you live?

Errrmm I got the message you posted at 4pm... Not sure if that's the one you mean or did you post a long message afterwards?

What's your diet like these days, that's helped you lose weight whilst on insulin?

mgm4222007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I live in the UK. Where do you live?

Errrmm I got the message you posted at 4pm... Not sure if that's the one you mean or did you post a long message afterwards?

What's your diet like these days, that's helped you lose weight whilst on insulin?
Wow, I'm disappointed. I sent you a long message abt info avail.online, the dr's name who came up with program, etc...
Diet is completely plant based. Even as far as the milk. I'm actually drinking coconut or soy milk these days.
Let me check something & i'll be back.

mgm4222007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Wow, I'm disappointed. I sent you a long message abt info avail.online, the dr's name who came up with program, etc...
Diet is completely plant based. Even as far as the milk. I'm actually drinking coconut or soy milk these days.
Let me check something & i'll be back.
So. I'm in Florida, in the States. Very frustrated bc I sent you a very long message which I can't figure out how to copy...:(
the name of the plan is the 21 day kickstart vegan diet. The Dr. Is Neal Barnard. There are recipes along with 2 weeks of menus. as I said in the longer message that disappeared into cyberspace, I do not have a well enough equipped kitchen to cook, bake or make all of these things from scratch so I have improvised and I take liberties where possible. I have actually fallen away from adhering to it as closely as I need to so I must return to it and review these recipes and menu plans and get back on the program more strictly.
Pls let me know if you can't find this info on line & I will see what I can do to help you. 1 thing I have become too reliant upon is the idea if sandwiches. Gluten-free, seeded, sometimes sprouted, whatever I can find at decent prices...I use hummus, fresh baby spinach leaves, fresh tomatoes, and, here I get myself into a wee bit of trouble: sharp cheddar, at times for protein boost.
I try not to rely on processed food but since my husband died, it became a bad habit. Hence, unhealthy lifestyle, numbers.
A lot depends on your tastes. I will eat pre-packaged but unadulterated squash. Soups are helpful. Here, too, I've relied on premade, organic, relatively cost-effective. I used to love getting omelets or soufflés from a fast food place here but a) bc of eggs, b) remainder of ingredients & c) cost: I've long since stopped.
Try to look at menus etc & we'll talk.
Again, I wish you all the best! !
I'd mentioned before in lost missive that I'm available to share whatever knowledge I might and that the only difficulty I foresee is the time difference. So you are indeed 5 hours ahead of me.
Tonight will be even more unusual because I'm actually going to get to sleep soon I hope because I have to get up between four and five in the morning to take a friend in for surgery.
Take care, Rose, & have a good night and enjoy your Friday.

chancellors

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Up until the 1st November I was taken 40mg of Glizaside, but on this day I had a kidney transplant this result in having to take a lot of drugs which included steroids and my sugar went up into the mid 20s. My Glizaside Meds were increased to 160mg twice a day, however the sugar levels stayed high. My Renal doctor on Monday 1st December told me to see my diabetic nurse ASAP so that I could be subscribed Insulin, I saw my nurse on the following day, she was very good and after a long talk about going on Insulin it was decided to put me on 4 units a day plus to also stay on the full dose of tablets. I went back to see her on Friday and have now increased the Insulin to 4 units twice a day, the sugar levels are coming down but very slowly. I think I have taken to insulin like a duck takes to water.

Reactions: 4 people

mgm4222007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Up until the 1st November I was taken 40mg of Glizaside, but on this day I had a kidney transplant this result in having to take a lot of drugs which included steroids and my sugar went up into the mid 20s. My Glizaside Meds were increased to 160mg twice a day, however the sugar levels stayed high. My Renal doctor on Monday 1st December told me to see my diabetic nurse ASAP so that I could be subscribed Insulin, I saw my nurse on the following day, she was very good and after a long talk about going on Insulin it was decided to put me on 4 units a day plus to also stay on the full dose of tablets. I went back to see her on Friday and have now increased the Insulin to 4 units twice a day, the sugar levels are coming down but very slowly. I think I have taken to insulin like a duck takes to water.
Good to hear. Continued success & good health!

Reactions: 2 people

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Hi Guys, My doctor put me on insulin (lantus & novomix) as well as metformin to control my bsl's. It did the job but i found that I'm putting on weight even though my food intake has not changed since pre insulin times....Any one else had this problem?

mgm4222007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi Guys, My doctor put me on insulin (lantus & novomix) as well as metformin to control my bsl's. It did the job but i found that I'm putting on weight even though my food intake has not changed since pre insulin times....Any one else had this problem?
Hi, & nice to meet you. I'm guessing you're not in Great Brit., unless you're up late!
this is a tough question for me to answer because it's only been with in the last 4 months or so that I have been truly compliant. And I have been on insulinpen and metformin before that for some time, like 2 years on the pens. I have begun taking water aerobics, which has helped me to build strength. And I began a program of walking which I have been pretty lax at. Yet I have lost in the area of 25 pounds. But I must point out that I have almost completely been eating a plant - based diet. And my #s are great, too. I see & feel a huge difference, as have my family & associates.

Reactions: 4 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi Doriand

Insulin is basically a growth hormone so thought it can control BG levels well you can pack on the weight.

Best to keep a food diary until you get an understanding what your new set points are.

BTW insulin just didn't add fat it can also build muscles too with the right timing and weight training

Reactions: 6 people

mgm4222007

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi Doriand

Insulin is basically a growth hormone so thought it can control BG levels well you can pack on the weight.

Best to keep a food diary until you get an understanding what your new set points are.

BTW insulin just didn't add fat it can also build muscles too with the right timing and weight training
Thank you for this info. I do need to do the food diary especially because I've gotten lazy about what I'm eating. You addressed this to Doriand, but I'm taking advantage of this info shared, too.

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
your body is working right now...you can adjust your weight by the amount of carbs you eat, less carb, less weight and less insulin,

it’s a long page and a video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Hi, & nice to meet you. I'm guessing you're not in Great Brit., unless you're up late!
this is a tough question for me to answer because it's only been with in the last 4 months or so that I have been truly compliant. And I have been on insulinpen and metformin before that for some time, like 2 years on the pens. I have begun taking water aerobics, which has helped me to build strength. And I began a program of walking which I have been pretty lax at. Yet I have lost in the area of 25 pounds. But I must point out that I have almost completely been eating a plant - based diet. And my #s are great, too. I see & feel a huge difference, as have my family & associates.
Hi! Thanks for the info. BTW, I'm posting from 'down under' Australia....Different time zones, same health problems!!!

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Hi Doriand

Thanks for the info. I'm packing the weight around the waist where I inject so the growth hormone info makes sense. maybe more abs workouts?

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
your body is working right now...you can adjust your weight by the amount of carbs you eat, less carb, less weight and less insulin,

it’s a long page and a video
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm
Thanks Jack. I'm doing weight watchers at the moment but might turn towards low carb 'atkins' type eating. Makes more sense for T2 Diabetics like us

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for the info. I'm packing the weight around the waist where I inject so the growth hormone info makes sense. maybe more abs workouts?
Got to get those muscles sore in your work out by using up all your glycogen then insulin will replace the nutrients into the muscle instead of fat - much more complicated - body builders have been using insulin for years as a way to promote bigger muscles more quickly without being detected

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I started insulin in July and have sine put 30 lbs on. It's very disheartening. If I exercise and follow low carb I might lose 1/2 lbs a week. I hate it. Don't know how to overcome insulin resistance plus sugar is still high so probably need to take twice as much insulin.

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I started insulin in July and have sine put 30 lbs on. It's very disheartening. If I exercise and follow low carb I might lose 1/2 lbs a week. I hate it. Don't know how to overcome insulin resistance plus sugar is still high so probably need to take twice as much insulin.

@claymic very frustrating I would bet. Are you keeping a food diary and exercise diary?

Are you able to do any types of exercise?

Food diary is so important along with measuring your food.

It is the only way I can lose. Trick is to start doing some resistance training to start increasing your muscles

chancellors

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Only been on insulin for just over a week now so still in the early days, still trying to get the balance correct between insulin and tablets. I am used to self injections as I was on EPO for a couple year so have no problems injecting insulin, I had renal failure and following a kidney transplant sugars went up to the mid 20s, hopefully when the Meds get sorted things will settle down.

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Got to get those muscles sore in your work out by using up all your glycogen then insulin will replace the nutrients into the muscle instead of fat - much more complicated - body builders have been using insulin for years as a way to promote bigger muscles more quickly without being detected
Thanks runner2009, I'll look at insulin more as a growth hormone (like peptides or, god forbid, steroids) and not a fat hormone...Mind you, gotta do the hard yards (gym work) to look less like my avatar!!;)

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
Hi claymic, I'm sharing your pain and disappointment....Even little things like using the wrong needle size causing bruising and bleeding can be a real pain. It's all about trial and error and in my case, more error:(....Hang in there,sir.........