How did you feel about switching onto injections?

PIPSY

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Currently taking x3 metformin a day (morning/afternoon/evening) with no real change at all blood sugar levels are still high, And i am not looking forward to switching to switching to injections because i have a fear of needles and i hate them alot. :thumbdown:
Try some more medication,i am taking four metformin &4 Gliclazide,a day it has controlled my diabetes for years regards sue.

jnhutton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as T2 14 years ago, and have been attempting to control by diet and tablets, but my bg readings have been gradually been increasing over this time to the point my fasting bg is around 9-12 generally and have now elected to take insulin injections. Its a decision that I have been putting off for a year, as I was worried about the non-medical consequences of injecting, ie driving licence and insurance, as I need these for my job. I am on day 3 of injecting and find it much easier than I anticipated, and so far completely discomfort-free, although no effect yet on my fasting levels. I have greatly increased my frequency of testing my blood glucose, however, which is illuminating as I have been peaking at 17 this week, so I need to focus much more on my diet, which is sometimes poor during the day. It always seems to be someones birthday in the office so there are temptations on offer virtually every day, and I seem to lose any semblance of willpower.
For anyone worried about starting injecting using a pen, it is virtually pain free for me, and certainly less than pricking my finger for my blood test meter.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Well have to say I hate injections and would rather be on tablets any day....but have to do as told so what else can we do???:shy:

PIPSY

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I was diagnosed as T2 14 years ago, and have been attempting to control by diet and tablets, but my bg readings have been gradually been increasing over this time to the point my fasting bg is around 9-12 generally and have now elected to take insulin injections. Its a decision that I have been putting off for a year, as I was worried about the non-medical consequences of injecting, ie driving licence and insurance, as I need these for my job. I am on day 3 of injecting and find it much easier than I anticipated, and so far completely discomfort-free, although no effect yet on my fasting levels. I have greatly increased my frequency of testing my blood glucose, however, which is illuminating as I have been peaking at 17 this week, so I need to focus much more on my diet, which is sometimes poor during the day. It always seems to be someones birthday in the office so there are temptations on offer virtually every day, and I seem to lose any semblance of willpower.
For anyone worried about starting injecting using a pen, it is virtually pain free for me, and certainly less than pricking my finger for my blood test meter.

BridgetteA

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
My Endocrinologist put me on Humalog (fast acting) and Levemir (slow acting) insulin and an incretin (Victoza). I'm a type 2. Most everything I read said putting a type 2 on insulin is a death sentance, because it will raise insulin levels above what is safe. I did it anyway. Normal lab insulin range here is 0 to 10. What i've read is above 10 puts you at 5 times risk for heart attack. Last blood labs showed a level of 116. This is not good. I've stopped all my insulin and guess what? My blood sugars went down and my insulin levels went down to a more reasonable level, 27. I'm hoping to get it even lower.

ALL MAJOR CHRONIC DISEASES ARE CAUSED BY HIGH INSULIN!

Drugs are not a cure for a nutritional disease! High insulin is what causes type 2 diabetes.

Since I've not taken insulin I'm losing about a pound a day. :thumbup:

You may be interested in what Dr Jason Fung has to say - You are absolutely correct . Diabetes T2 is a disease caused by TOO MUCH insulin .
http://intensivedietarymanagement.com/two-big-lies-type-2-diabetes-video-lecture/

AnneMarie1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat toast and crisps
hi i am still getting used to it, ive not long come out of hospital where i spent 3 weeks on a insulin drip , i was wrongly diagnosed and it wasnt till i went to the optician cos my eyesight went that i was sent to the drs for a glucose test, on the day my results were due i couldnt keep awake and was not really responding to anybody, the dr rang the house at 7pm and asked for me, my partner tried to wake me but couldnt, the dr said he had rang cos my blood sugar was 37.7 and wanted me to be seen at the hospital but as i couldnt be roused he needed to call an ambulance, it turned out i was in a coma and im lucky to be here, i didnt really remember anything for around 3 days, im now on insulin and its a big thing for me i get quite upset about it sometimes and its hard to not rebel against it but hopefully ill be ok , they are not sure if there will be any lasting damage especially to my kidneys , liver and eyesight because of the sugar and even though they have spotted damage to them all im hoping it will not be forever and that i can live a normal life

I had a similar experience. I took an allergic reaction to Tramadol and my body shut down. I was unconscious and unresponsive. My blood sugar was off the chart. I was put onto glicizide and metaformin as they thought this would a temporary issue. I didn't see anyone for months and months. I wasn't given a blood glucose monitor. When I went to my doctor last August he checked my blood and it was 39.2. I had very high ketone readings. He gave me a monitor for my blood glucose and referred me to the diabetic clinic. I got my appointment through in Feb 2015. I am now on Lantus, NovoRapid and metaformin. I still cannot get my blood sugar below 15.0. They have now decided I need to have Victoza added to my medication list. I am at a loss as to where I go from here!

Reactions: 2 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar experience. I took an allergic reaction to Tramadol and my body shut down. I was unconscious and unresponsive. My blood sugar was off the chart. I was put onto glicizide and metaformin as they thought this would a temporary issue. I didn't see anyone for months and months. I wasn't given a blood glucose monitor. When I went to my doctor last August he checked my blood and it was 39.2. I had very high ketone readings. He gave me a monitor for my blood glucose and referred me to the diabetic clinic. I got my appointment through in Feb 2015. I am now on Lantus, NovoRapid and metaformin. I still cannot get my blood sugar below 15.0. They have now decided I need to have Victoza added to my medication list. I am at a loss as to where I go from here!
Are you low carbing AnneMarie?

Greatheart

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think injections are the easy way to go for those who have a choice, taking insulin is giving up, and saying you cannot reverse it, or I have seen many people taking insulin and not bothering to control their diets, just taking as much as they need, many of these people have developed health problems.

For myself I made the decision to only go on injections as a last resort and have fought my diabetes every step of the way.

Up until recently I controlled my diet, did regular exercise and was on oral medication, but these last 6 months have been hell as either I am not making enough insulin anymore or I have built up insulin resistance.

I exercise 6 days per week, live on 600g of asda veggie soup per day and my blood sugars are pretty much hovering between 10 to 14. No effect from medication anymore.

It is unclear whether my insulin resistance is as a result of my sleep apnea, liver cirrhosis, or as a result of my diabetes, the only way the injections will work is if it is the latter, if it is either of the former, taking more insulin will not help me.

Incidentally I think the buddy system is a great idea for people starting on injections.

Last edited by a moderator:

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think injections are the easy way to go for those who have a choice, taking insulin is giving up, and saying you cannot reverse it, or I have seen many people taking insulin and not bothering to control their diets, just taking as much as they need, many of these people have developed health problems.

For myself I made the decision to only go on injections as a last resort and have fought my diabetes every step of the way.

Up until recently I controlled my diet, did regular exercise and was on oral medication, but these last 6 months have been hell as either I am not making enough insulin anymore or I have built up insulin resistance.

I exercise 6 days per week, live on 600g of asda veggie soup per day and my blood sugars are pretty much hovering between 10 to 14. No effect from medication anymore.

It is unclear whether my insulin resistance is as a result of my sleep apnea, liver cirrhosis, or as a result of my diabetes, the only way the injections will work is if it is the latter, if it is either of the former, taking more insulin will not help me.

Incidentally I think the buddy system is a great idea for people starting on injections.

I have to take exception to your statement that people 'choose injections as an easy way out' and 'not bothering to control their diets'. My diabetes was very well controlled for 3-4 years, I followed all the guidelines, 'healthy plate' lost 4 stone in weight, and only became unstable after going through a very difficult and stressful period of my life. I had no choice whatsoever in going onto insulin after having oral medications increased and added on to, and persevering with meds that actually made me more ill. Unfortunately my diabetes did not stabilise until I started on insulin and I found out about lchf diet. Please don't make such rash judgements about others. We get enough criticism from those who don't understand the condition, never mind from those who should know better

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to take exception to your statement that people 'choose injections as an easy way out' and 'not bothering to control their diets'. My diabetes was very well controlled for 3-4 years, I followed all the guidelines, 'healthy plate' lost 4 stone in weight, and only became unstable after going through a very difficult and stressful period of my life. I had no choice whatsoever in going onto insulin after having oral medications increased and added on to, and persevering with meds that actually made me more ill. Unfortunately my diabetes did not stabilise until I started on insulin and I found out about lchf diet. Please don't make such rash judgements about others. We get enough criticism from those who don't understand the condition, never mind from those who should know better
Iy's a shame the lchf was not thought of yrs ago as there would probly have been far less going into diabetic decline & having to go on insulin, Nhs have to learn that lchf is one of the best ways to help diabetes & even overweight, then there would most likely be far less people becoming diabetic & being healthier & a huge reduction in costs treating diabetes & those likely of it due to weight issues.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Iy's a shame the lchf was not thought of yrs ago as there would probly have been far less going into diabetic decline & having to go on insulin, Nhs have to learn that lchf is one of the best ways to help diabetes & even overweight, then there would most likely be far less people becoming diabetic & being healthier & a huge reduction in costs treating diabetes & those likely of it due to weight issues.
Totally agree

Greatheart

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

That is why I said for those who have a choice, so please read what i wrote before you jump down my throat.

Mac Sue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As part of our Diabetes Week questions, here's a question for people with type 2 diabetes who have gone onto injections -or are considering going onto injections.

How did (or do) you feel about switching onto injections?

Did/do you have any worries about going onto injections?
If/when you made the switch, how did you adapt to being on injections?
- was it easier or harder than you thought?
- was there any part of it that struck which you hadn't considered before going onto injections?

This question covers injections for insulin or for incretin mimetics like Byetta, Victoza and Bydureon
Was a bit apprehensive about injecting but found if you did it quick it was easy enough. Now there is a problem with my kidneys - a bit concerned but doctor keeping a check. Don't know what to expect next. Eyesight is **** but hopefully opticians will help here. BGS level were in the 30s now down to the 20s. Still working, still keeping on keeping on...

Welshgooner

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tottenham and High BS scores
I took the GP's proposal to go to see a Consultant with a view to going onto injections as a MUCH needed kick in the **** to behave myself and take this thing seriously - realising you are not indestructible is a bitter pill to swallow also!

I was lucky enough to find this place at the same time and I have improved my numbers dramatically. Next aim is to slowly reduce the meds :)

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was my decision as I had controlled my blood sugar with diet for 10 years. Didn't fancy tablets as you do not have the same control as insulin. Bit worried at first, it's taken nearly 18 months to get the hang of it. Now very happy with my decision.

10 years! That is a feat in itself. Do you still have to control your diet as much?

Vidusi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty
I started on insulin in October, humulin combination twice a day but I had a lot of hypos and had to adjust a lot, now on a different mix during day and a slow acting mix at night 4 injections a day. I find that I am putting weight on at an alarming rate, 7kg since October, although am usually balanced now. I am a strict vegetarian which does not help. Can anyone suggest a veggie snack which satisfies hunger but does not affect my glucose too much and doesn't put weight on!

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started on insulin in October, humulin combination twice a day but I had a lot of hypos and had to adjust a lot, now on a different mix during day and a slow acting mix at night 4 injections a day. I find that I am putting weight on at an alarming rate, 7kg since October, although am usually balanced now. I am a strict vegetarian which does not help. Can anyone suggest a veggie snack which satisfies hunger but does not affect my glucose too much and doesn't put weight on!

I like munching on carrots - they're easy to transport, easy - and satisfying to eat. Can't beat the crunch of a carrot!

Sooty2013

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Peanut Butter and Rice Pudding
I'm keeping my fingers cross that my Type 2 Diabetes doesn't get to the stage where I need injections. I hate needles, blood tests are bad enough LOL. Touch wood my HBA1C stays between 46-47 as it has done for last 12 months.