How did you feel about switching onto injections?

Kjosh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Kjosh. That's interesting as my Diabetic Nurse said I didn't have to tell DVLA. Testing my bloods was sufficient

I was advised to fill out a form and send it off. It was a diabetic doctor that advised me.

Kjosh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't know but at least it seems t b working. It only takes a few minutes to inject. I was dreading it but it's ok. My levels are down to between 7.5 and 8. Need to be lower to 5 and 8. If I lose more weight and lower levels who knows.

Nick1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Same here. Sceptical at first having to stick a needle into my body. I do mine first thing on the morning as I'm getting dressed; very simple to administer. A couple of bruises, but nothing serious. Sugar levels have come down quite a bit, much to my delight. It's now part of my daily routine and I think nothing of it

ichael1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Incompetence - Rude and Obnoxious People - Radishes - Mussels
I was put on insulin in 2013, being a bit of a wus when it comes to needles of any kind, I was naturally a bit anxious. I have got used to planning my day around my twice daily injections, but it can be a bit of an inconvenience sometimes. Whenever I am feeling a little fed up and sorry for myself for having to do these injections, I just have to remind myself that I am very fortunate to have been born in a country where I have access to such medication and I feel better immediately.

Penfold5702

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have an appointment with the DN tomorrow, wish to go on injections as blood sugar levels never stay at a constain level. Not sure I meet the requirements as BMl is not high enough.

Penfold5702

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just back from the DN, very refreshing was listened to. DN agreed with me and will be starting to take Lyxumia. After I have a lesson on how to use it correctly.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Nick1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started off with Lxyumia then went onto Victoza. Taking the injection is not as bad as you think

Sumobabe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting replies! I'm T2 (genetically down the male line 3 generations) for about 20 years. On maximum Metformin & gliclazide. Not overweight. Over the past few years my HbA1c seems to increase each year 8-9, then 9.5, now 11.5. Nurse has now given me a choice of Vitoza or Humulin M3. My choice she says. "I'll leave it to you to do the research". Which in a way is good I guess - it does empower me to help manage my own condition. So I've researched, but I can't determine clinically what would be best or as regards lifestyle. They each seem to work in totally different ways. I live on my own so I'm a bit concerned about hypos during the night - though I've always had very high bg levels in the morning no matter how low before bedtime. I'm guessing as it's genetic diabetes the insulin producing cells will just die off every year, so will get worse even if diet/excercise remains constant. How do I make that decision?
Late to this thread, and wondering what you chose. My doctor gave me Victoza to try last month (when I suffered from bad side-effects from Januvia), and (a) the FDA black box warning against thyroid cancer was cause for concern, and (b) I had nausea and diarrhea. Still looking for supplement my Metformin which is helping but not quite getting the job done.

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi all, very very late to this thread. I'm type 2, currently on Glucophage but having problems with swallowing tablets. I've broken them in to halves but still struggling. My BG levels seem to be consistently above 11 for my fasting reading. Having regular episodes of extreme tiredness during the day. I've lost a stone in weight since diagnosis (3 months ago).

As I'm struggling with tablets, a friend of mine who's a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic, suggested I ask the doctor to switch me over to injections as she felt much better when she switched. I've read a few posts on this thread where people have also said this.

Has anyone ever asked to be switched ? If so what was the response you got?

Would love to hear your opinions.

NewdestinyX

Hi all, very very late to this thread. I'm type 2, currently on Glucophage but having problems with swallowing tablets. I've broken them in to halves but still struggling. My BG levels seem to be consistently above 11 for my fasting reading. Having regular episodes of extreme tiredness during the day. I've lost a stone in weight since diagnosis (3 months ago).

As I'm struggling with tablets, a friend of mine who's a type 2 insulin dependent diabetic, suggested I ask the doctor to switch me over to injections as she felt much better when she switched. I've read a few posts on this thread where people have also said this.

Has anyone ever asked to be switched ? If so what was the response you got?

Would love to hear your opinions.
those "horse pills" we're very hard for me to swallow as well. But that wasn't the reason I stopped. It was the gastric distress with Metformin ER/Glucophage. I begged my doctor to go on injections and I never looked back. It's work perfectly for me for several years now. You gotta watch how many carbs you eat or you'll pack on the stones when you're on insulin. Insulin sort of "returns you to normal" where everything you eat will go on your waistline if you don't exercise it off after you eat it. Insulin's primary jobs are as:
1) a converter of glucose to energy as you exercise
-or-
2) as a fat storage hormone if you don't exercise.

So just be careful how you eat while on insulin.. If you just use it as a cover for eating high carb foods you could blow up like a balloon.

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi @NewdestinyX thanks for the reply. I'm having gastric problems! I had them with metformin too. The stomach cramps are unbearable and I daren't go out after I've eaten. Your response was really helpful, thank you. I think it's time to book an appointment with the doctor! X

NewdestinyX

Hi @NewdestinyX thanks for the reply. I'm having gastric problems! I had them with metformin too. The stomach cramps are unbearable and I daren't go out after I've eaten. Your response was really helpful, thank you. I think it's time to book an appointment with the doctor! X
Well - the docs will tell you, as they did me, to tough it out with the gastric stuff - that your body will acclimate in 30-60 days.. Uggh.. Even that would feel like an eternity.. But I toughed it out for 6 months!!! And that daily - "I better not leave my house" did get better over time. But never went fully away for me - and after 6 months I truly begged him - and he was happy to start me on MDI (multiple daily injections). He was actually happy that I asked as the newest research shows that early insulin use has very favorable outcomes. Not waiting to us it as a last resort which is what most people think.

He/She will start you on a basal (long acting insulin) like Lantus or Levemir at 10iu's a day and then tell you to 'titrate' up (go up by 1 unit a day) until your fasting glucose is between 95-105 (sorry for American BG level numbers) .. At first that will feel very low and a little shaky to you. It's called a 'false hypo' since your body is used to being much higher than that. But that truly will pass in short order. Keep us posted on how you do. The docs in UK might be more strict in when to start insulin. But 'beg'. For some of us, Metformin/Glucophage are a living hell!

catmazdo

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Well - the docs will tell you, as they did me, to tough it out with the gastric stuff - that your body will acclimate in 30-60 days.. Uggh.. Even that would feel like an eternity.. But I toughed it out for 6 months!!! And that daily - "I better not leave my house" did get better over time. But never went fully away for me - and after 6 months I truly begged him - and he was happy to start me on MDI (multiple daily injections). He was actually happy that I asked as the newest research shows that early insulin use has very favorable outcomes. Not waiting to us it as a last resort which is what most people think.

He/She will start you on a basal (long acting insulin) like Lantus or Levemir at 10iu's a day and then tell you to 'titrate' up (go up by 1 unit a day) until your fasting glucose is between 95-105 (sorry for American BG level numbers) .. At first that will feel very low and a little shaky to you. It's called a 'false hypo' since your body is used to being much higher than that. But that truly will pass in short order. Keep us posted on how you do. The docs in UK might be more strict in when to start insulin. But 'beg'. For some of us, Metformin/Glucophage are a living hell!

Thanks so much. I will definitely keep you posted x

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I have been doing injections for around 11 years now

I was started off on Gliclazide & Metformin at diagnosis but they did little to help my high blood sugars so after a year my GP put me on insulin.

I don't mind injecting, sometimes I feel a slight nip, but I think finger pricking if anything is slightly more painful than injecting