How did you know or find out you are type 2

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to see the gp as i was bloated,tired,going to the toilet a lot rash they tested me for gluten free as theres a family history of it, test came back you have type 2 im on metformin 500 twice daily have to see the nurse this wk ,was diagnosed 2 wks ago
Hi Kerry, i found out last week it would be good to keep in touch to see how we get on. I also have been told to take metformin twice a day.
Can I ask what you levels are ?

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up smoking a year ago, substituted cigs for mint imperials, and then hurt my back and was given naproxen which messed up my stomach. I continued to have "stomach issues" and went to one Dr several times. In December she told me "I don't have a pill which will cure everything" and I went home and cried. In January my OH said we couldn't go on like this and dragged me to see another Dr who listened to what I said, ordered the usual round of blood tests and in February I was told I was diabetic. She said that wasn't what she was expecting. I didn't have any of the usual symptoms, the only thing, looking back, is that I was always tired and often fell asleep in the afternoon, but I put this down to not sleeping well at night (which I still don't).
Incidentally my "stomach issues" and indigestion had all but disappeared after a few weeks of low carbing, then I got to see the DN who put me on metformin and they have gradually got worse again.

Are you still taking the metformin ? if so why ? you already know the low carbing was working for you- being treated like everyone else - when " everyone else" is not taking the necessary steps to control it themselves, is not dong you any favours.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told I had Gestational diabetes many years ago while living abroad but was never given any treatment for it and presumed it was of minor importance. Years later my mum at age 75 and skinny was diagnosed as type 2 and she got me to test with her meter. It wasn't massively high but a bit on the high side so she suggested I go to the doctor and get checked.

I did and had a FBG of 6.1 and just about passed the GTT. You're pre-diabetic they said and told me all about the Eatwell plate and all the carbs I should be eating. The only thing that did for me - (apart from finding how nice basmati and wild rice was) was make me wonder how on earth eating more carbs than I had been eating was supposed to help. I didn't take a lot of notice but did try to reduce my fat intake on their advice.

A year later I thought I should have another test. This time they said FBG was 6.6 and I should start on metformin and take a statin and wanted to send me to the dietician. By this time though I was sceptical. I'd done a bit of research and decided statins were probably more harm than good. Initially it seemed like the low fat scenario made sense but then realised it was sugar and carbs rather than fat that turned to fat in the body, found the dietdoctor.com site and this forum and realised the Eatwell plate advice needed to go in the bin. Doctor was not happy but basically washed her hands of me.

Another year went by and I had an HbA1c test which was totally within normal levels and just got a ''no action' comment from the doc via the receptionist. She was NOT INTERESTED in how I'd achieved that after she'd told me diabetes was progressive and I'd end up on insulin. Haven't been back to the surgery since so have not had the opportunity to tell them their advice is wrong and dangerous.

Amazed at how much better I feel - only symptoms really had been the 'tired all the time' thing and always needing an afternoon nap. After following low carb high fat though I realised many little health niggles have resolved themselves.

Reactions: grante

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at a "well woman' check up but had had gestational diabetes 15 years earlier so it wasn't a complete shock.
My HBA1C was high at diagnosis - 97. I didn't have any symptoms though. I decided against medication - my GP was very ok about that. I did low carbing instead. My latest HBA1C is 37.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a blood donor and after a donation I received a letter from the blood bank that I had to repeat the blood tests. I've had twice in a row the fasting BG level at 14 mmol/l.
Then I started reading about diabetes and all the strange symptoms I had made sense.

Reactions: grante and Winnie53

chocky58

I'd had a kidney transplant and was attending the renal clinic for weekly checkups (standard after transplant). Approximately 3 months after transplant, I had my bloods done in clinic as usual. That evening I got a call from the renal consultant telling me to get to my local a&e asap as my bg was dangerously high. I spent a night in hospital, assessed the next day and was told id need to inject myself 4 times daily for the rest of my life. Such a shock

Reactions: grante