How do i gain weight?

OHD_Foxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Stress, Diabetes
Right so, I am quite a skinny guy (6'1, 56kg) and no matter what I eat; junk food, lots of fat, sugar whatever, I just don't seem to put on much weight at all. I have a high metabolism I think and am a Type 1 on a pump and I would really like to put on some weight as I am a bit fed up of looking like a twig. If anyone has any knowledge on how to put on weight please let me know because I eat more than most of the people in my house and my weight has never been above 58kg :(

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have a fast metabolism and a busy life. When I want to put on weight I up my carb intake - at meals and for snacks. I find it takes constant and consistent eating to get weight on. So I set myself a schedule of meal and snack time and make sure not to miss any. I also increase my fat intake and have things like nuts and olive oil and avocados and fatty meat.

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a fast metabolism and a busy life. When I want to put on weight I up my carb intake - at meals and for snacks. I find it takes constant and consistent eating to get weight on. So I set myself a schedule of meal and snack time and make sure not to miss any. I also increase my fat intake and have things like nuts and olive oil and avocados and fatty meat.
But if you increase carbs don't you have to take more Insulin? I don't really want to do that. And I'm eating lots of avocado, nuts and nut butter but it's not helping. May try fatty meats..

Sent from my SM-T710 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 7 stone 5 skinny and horrible. I've managed to get to 8 stone 6. All i did was up my carb intake (but yes have had to increase insulin).
I've eaten lots of bread, pasta and potatoes. Also I eat porridge most mornings. Soon I'll. Probs go to heavy and want to lose it all again lol can't win

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 3 people

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But if you increase carbs don't you have to take more Insulin? I don't really want to do that. And I'm eating lots of avocado, nuts and nut butter but it's not helping. May try fatty meats..

I have a feeling that to put on weight, more carbs and more insulin is probably the most obvious way.

I think that @TorqPenderloin may be able to shed more light on it, I believe he has had success with bulking up while low carbing (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yes, you'll have to increase your insulin boluses if you have more carbs at meals.

Why don't you want to take more insulin? If you're unsure about adjusting doses, you could speak to your nurse for advice.

Personally, I've found increasing carbs works best if you want to put weight on.

Edited to add that I see an earlier post of yours said you'd had trouble keeping your sugars down? If that's the case, better control might help you gain weight too. I presume you're carb counting?

OHD_Foxy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Stress, Diabetes
Thanks everyone for the info, I'll start trying more carbs and see how it goes :D If I make progress I'll update on here :)

Reactions: 3 people

P17BULL

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought Insulin will make me become fat. Am I missing something?

PseudoBob77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand, but I thought insulin makes your appetite bigger and helps storing fats. So why is it so difficult for some people to gain weight?
I've found insulin really builds my appetite, but at the same time if your metabolism is burning the carbs and fatty calories it can be hard to increase weight as you body finds its equilibrium weight.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

This is something a doctor would not recommend probably. But what about having a few glasses of wine everyday? Wine does not raise BS but contains carbs. ;)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Adding some carbs and a little extra insulin to cover the carbs should help gain some weight. Insulin is a fat storing and growth hormone. Carbs are also a fat storing food. You may just need a little extra of both. Just make sure to cover your insulin with enough carbs

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin does not make you fat. Let's make that very clear. Having a cr*ppy diet makes you fat. Furthermore, not taking insulin (if you need it) does not exempt you from having a poor diet...it will just kill you (eventually). I usually try to avoid scare tactics, but this is a very important subject.

Gaining weight is pretty simple: eat more calories than you burn.

Gaining HEALTHY weight is a lot harder. In my opinion, it's not about eating everything in sight, but rather eating often and eating consistently. In my experience, you can gain weight on a low carb diet or you can add lower GI carbs into the equation. Excess protein and low GI foods seem to have the same effect on me in the sense that they help me gain healthy (muscle) mass, but not at the expense of managing my diabetes.

I've recently added a fair amount of carbs back into my diet up to about 150-200g from <50g previously. Why? Because part of learning what works is also figuring out what DOESN'T work. Plus, I don't believe that a low-carb diet is the ONLY approach for a diabetic (although it's certainly a strong consideration for most).

Sorry for going off on a tangent, let's get back on track: the answer is simple...if you want to gain weight, you need to be eating from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed. Again, that doesn't mean stuff your face with junk food.
It means eating eggs, bacon, and maybe a small piece of toast in the morning.
2 hours later, a handful of almonds or other nuts
2 hrs later another small snack
A chicken salad for lunch
Another snack in the afternoon
Another meat for dinner, green veggies, and perhaps some sweet potatoes
Drinking a glass of milk, or a scoop of casein protein (depending on what your blood sugar can handle)

I understand that won't work for everyone, but that's why you customize the plan to what works for you. Nothing on that list is terribly difficult to manage in terms of blood sugar, yet I can easily get it to exceed 3500 calories without much effort.

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin does not make you fat. Let's make that very clear. Having a cr*ppy diet makes you fat. Furthermore, not taking insulin (if you need it) does not exempt you from having a poor diet...it will just kill you (eventually). I usually try to avoid scare tactics, but this is a very important subject.

Gaining weight is pretty simple: eat more calories than you burn.

Gaining HEALTHY weight is a lot harder. In my opinion, it's not about eating everything in sight, but rather eating often and eating consistently. In my experience, you can gain weight on a low carb diet or you can add lower GI carbs into the equation. Excess protein and low GI foods seem to have the same effect on me in the sense that they help me gain healthy (muscle) mass, but not at the expense of managing my diabetes.

I've recently added a fair amount of carbs back into my diet up to about 150-200g from <50g previously. Why? Because part of learning what works is also figuring out what DOESN'T work. Plus, I don't believe that a low-carb diet is the ONLY approach for a diabetic (although it's certainly a strong consideration for most).

Sorry for going off on a tangent, let's get back on track: the answer is simple...if you want to gain weight, you need to be eating from the time you wake up until the time you go to bed. Again, that doesn't mean stuff your face with junk food.
It means eating eggs, bacon, and maybe a small piece of toast in the morning.
2 hours later, a handful of almonds or other nuts
2 hrs later another small snack
A chicken salad for lunch
Another snack in the afternoon
Another meat for dinner, green veggies, and perhaps some sweet potatoes
Drinking a glass of milk, or a scoop of casein protein (depending on what your blood sugar can handle)

I understand that won't work for everyone, but that's why you customize the plan to what works for you. Nothing on that list is terribly difficult to manage in terms of blood sugar, yet I can easily get it to exceed 3500 calories without much effort.
Very wise - balanced and tailored approach is definitely best. And that's what my consultant has told me - muscles not fat. Shame she also said it's not necessary to do carb counting yet. But am seeing my GP on Thursday so will ask her if the diabetic nurse can give me some instructions. Have started writing all down now and carb counting the best I can, it seems I can manage 80g of carbs a day on two doses of basal (10 units total, 5 morning and 5 evening). BG is much better in the morning than afternoon though. I would not be able to last 4 hours after breakfast on small snacks - would have a hypo. In the afternoon, yes, that sort of a break with small snacks definitely possible.
I have already changed my diet to what it had been 2 weeks ago thanks to you guys so things can only get better. THANK YOU!

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is something a doctor would not recommend probably. But what about having a few glasses of wine everyday? Wine does not raise BS but contains carbs. ;)
Love red wine and definitely enjoy a few glasses but it seems I have to cut down at the moment as been having lots of cramps and as alcohol seems to flush out magnesium and potassium it is probably wine that exacerbate the problem. Also wine wrecks havoc to my BG - really low in the morning and totally up and down throughout the day. Once I manage to sort out a few things will definitely enjoy a glass again

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you'll have to increase your insulin boluses if you have more carbs at meals.

Why don't you want to take more insulin? If you're unsure about adjusting doses, you could speak to your nurse for advice.

Personally, I've found increasing carbs works best if you want to put weight on.

Edited to add that I see an earlier post of yours said you'd had trouble keeping your sugars down? If that's the case, better control might help you gain weight too. I presume you're carb counting?
Hi, thanks. I'm speaking to my GP on Thursday. But in the past (I was never heavy, c.70kg) I found that the only way to put on weight is to eat pizza, chocolate, chips and pasta. I will not do that now - it's other healthy even for non-diabetics. Also potatoes and rice for example give me huge headaches. Are there any healthy carbs that you could recommend? Would it be the slow release ones?

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are there any healthy carbs that you could recommend? Would it be the slow release ones?

Remember that "Healthy" is a subjective term.

Generally speaking, your food intake should match your activity levels and we each differ in that regard.

For someone with a sedentary lifestyle, it may not make sense to eat many carbs (or any at all) as they might not have a physical need to fast(ER) and more readily available sources of energy.

In contrast, someone who is very active and engages in high-intensity exercise may require those sources of energy to perform adequately.

Our bodies have the potential to store excess energy as either glycogen (short-term) or body fat (long-term). Consequently, consuming a large amount of calories all at once (potentially) means your body may store what is not immediately used. The concept behind eating low GI foods is to convert energy slower and over a long period of time rather than rapidly and all at once. Optimally, that means having energy to make through the day, but minimize the chances that excess is stored as fat.