How do I know when my bs has peaked after a meal?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You know when i test 2 hours after my meal? is that when the peak always happens ?

I mean, sometimes i have homemade bread (just a slice) d it is OK, but now i am wondering if, being so dense and high in fibre, it might take a bit longer to digest and might not peak after 2 hours. So I may be having bread and thinking it is OK after 2 hours, but really it is spiking at 3 hours?

Does that make sense?

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So I may be having bread and thinking it is OK after 2 hours, but really it is spiking at 3 hours?
Does that make sense?

Your question makes sense, but not the idea.

The idea of testing after two hours is to check that any spike has returned to near normal levels, not to detect the spike itself. So if you're still reading high after two hours, you've discovered a no-go food.
You won't read normal after two hours, then peak at three hours.
If any spiking is delayed, then overall spiking should be reduced, since the blood sugar response is spread.
As far as I understand, it's the level of the response that's important. Did I get that right, guys ?

Geoff

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it does make sense.
The only way to find out is to test at various intervals.

I find if I have a high protein meal, say steak and salad, my 2 hour level is only slightly elevated but the figure can continue to rise and be higher at 3 hours. Some meals I've eaten are actually higher at 4 hours....which can be when you are thinking about snacking or eating again :roll: some have even gone too high by then!! :shock:

It's all a case of trial and error and testing.

Regards
Angie