How do I work out carbs when baking????

kellyrae

Hi, I'm wanting to make some biscuits (shortbread) and some pies (pastry lids)......only thing is i don't know how to work out the carbs once its cooked?

Anyone able to shed any light please would be great :?

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Get the carb content of each raw ingredient by measurement, either by serving or size or grams this should be on the packets.

Work out the the carb for your size of each ingredient. And add them all together. Bake your goods the whole thing will be this value, slice into portion sizes then divide your figure by the portions, this will give you the carbs per portion.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I sometimes use the ready made puff pastry for pie topping and simply weight the piece I am using or whats left over if more convenient and subtract it from the total carbs on the packet, if you make your own then I imagine it is just a matter of some simple maths as you will no doubt be weighing out the ingredients, just a matter of dividing the carbs per 100g by 100 then multiplying by the grams used.

I am not sure what baking does to the end result though TBH but I always go by the uncooked amounts :)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Join MyFitnessPal and you can put in your own recipes which will automatically tell you how many carbs, cals etc in each portion or slice.