Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Sorry if I've upset anyone. I have a deep distrust of medical professionals unless they have diabetes themselves(and sometimes not even then!)

I've been experimenting. :) These truffles are lush - and easy - and based on a Delia recipe. They actually taste like the Thorntons rum truffles did 30 odd years ago when they used to hand make them.

150g of 70% or above chocolate. I used Green & Blacks organic which I think is 85% but I have made them with 90%. Rumble this in a liquidiser or food processor until like breadcrumbs.

Then, in a little saucepan, heat together 200g extra thick double cream, 25g unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons rum (or brandy). Bring cream mixture to simmer then (with motor running) slowly trickle cream mixture in to liquidiser or food processor and keep whizzing for a couple of minutes. And then whizz for yet another minute. It will be very liquid. Pour and scrape out in to a bowl and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Then shape in to balls (quickly as they melt) . Makes about 15. Then roll in good cocoa powder, crushed almonds, shaved chocolate or vermicelli. Refrigerate until eaten.

The better the choc the lower the carbs. I ave only ever eaten two of these at a time but two not spike me (and I only have 25g carbs/day max to keep stable).

Merry Christmas :)

Reactions: 7 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if I've upset anyone. I have a deep distrust of medical professionals unless they have diabetes themselves(and sometimes not even then!)

I've been experimenting. :) These truffles are lush - and easy - and based on a Delia recipe. They actually taste like the Thorntons rum truffles did 30 odd years ago when they used to hand make them.

150g of 70% or above chocolate. I used Green & Blacks organic which I think is 85% but I have made them with 90%. Rumble this in a liquidiser or food processor until like breadcrumbs.

Then, in a little saucepan, heat together 200g extra thick double cream, 25g unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons rum (or brandy). Bring cream mixture to simmer then (with motor running) slowly trickle cream mixture in to liquidiser or food processor and keep whizzing for a couple of minutes. And then whizz for yet another minute. It will be very liquid. Pour and scrape out in to a bowl and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Then shape in to balls (quickly as they melt) . Makes about 15. Then roll in good cocoa powder, crushed almonds, shaved chocolate or vermicelli. Refrigerate until eaten.

The better the choc the lower the carbs. I ave only ever eaten two of these at a time but two not spike me (and I only have 25g carbs/day max to keep stable).

Merry Christmas :)
Ooh this will keep me busy with more Christmas cooking tomorrow. I have a bar of Lindt 85% in the cupboard:hungry:

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Err, I think one might be enough, but thanks for the invite .....;)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So how did everyone do with Christmas eating? I was fairly good until this morning when I had 4 chocolaty biscuits for breakfast. Interestingly BS levels before were 5.7 and 2 hours later 5.6! Christmas Day morning BS 5.6 and bed-time BS 6.7. Didn't test every meal but did have 2 glasses Prosecco, 2 glasses red wine (did wonder whether it was ok to be mildly sozzled before lunch!) and some Lindt chocolates. Food has been delicious (although meringue made with sweetener really doesn't turn out very well :yuck:) and at no point have I felt deprived of anything. Have eaten an enormous quantity of cheese:hungry: with some very nice low carb crackers.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've eaten many more carbs than I intended to! Still, the highest my BG has been throughout has been 8, so not too dreadful. The thing that has surprised me the most is my inability to eat sweet things. I helped myself to dessert on a couple of occasions, but didn't manage to get half way through before the sweetness started to make me feel sick. Also tried a couple of milk chocolates - and just found they tasted chemically and unpleasant. Seems my tastes have changed. Wouldn't have believed that possible 4 months back!
I'm also surprised that I'm looking forward to getting back to eating my usual low carb diet again. I didn't realise how much better it was making me feel until I took a break from it. We have so much sweet stuff in the house, yet I can say hand on heart that I have NO desire to eat any more of it.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've eaten many more carbs than I intended to! Still, the highest my BG has been throughout has been 8, so not too dreadful. The thing that has surprised me the most is my inability to eat sweet things. I helped myself to dessert on a couple of occasions, but didn't manage to get half way through before the sweetness started to make me feel sick. Also tried a couple of milk chocolates - and just found they tasted chemically and unpleasant. Seems my tastes have changed. Wouldn't have believed that possible 4 months back!
I'm also surprised that I'm looking forward to getting back to eating my usual low carb diet again. I didn't realise how much better it was making me feel until I took a break from it. We have so much sweet stuff in the house, yet I can say hand on heart that I have NO desire to eat any more of it.
Absolutely.

I had 2 mince pies Xmas eve, I portion Xmas pud on 25th, and yesterday I started eating my lovely gifts of 70% choc.

And I am enjoying the 2 squares choc at a time fare more than that sickliness of the pies and pud.

Today will be bacon and egg, roast pork belly and huge amounts of greenery. Looking forward to it!

Reactions: 4 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as I started this thread I will report back (although I think I said all this on the "What have you eaten" thread) and say that I found it really easy. I just didn't buy sweets, cake, biscuits or anything off limits as we didn't have anyone else to cater for.

My only indulgence was 2 small roast potatoes and a small portion of stuffing, the rest was allowable veg and turkey. I found an Atkins recipe for low carb trifle (even baked my own low carb cake instead of the usual sugary sponge cakes) with sugar-free jelly and made my own custard with cream and egg yolks plus a bit of sweetener. I think I had a halo ...lol. Highest BS was 8 after dinner and 6.5 after the trifle.

Really wasn't hungry after that and nibbled on a few almonds.

Plus, I don't drink but read somewhere that red wine was quite good so I had half a glass topped up with diet lemonade and when I tested after I was 4.5 - shocked cos I rarely get into the 4s. So all in all I think I did well.

Reactions: 11 people

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my Xmas Day lunch at the same Hotel as I did last year.......Mixed other Seafood Salad starter
followed by Turkey with mixture of vegetables (2 Roast Potatoes) Dessert was Apple Cake with
Ice Cream (not a lot) the coffee with a small Mince Pie.....didn't have the Brandy as I was driving
and in Spain the Alcohol limit is so low that one drink could put you over the limit...also I had to
take my tablet (Repaglinida 2 mg ) half way through the meal at the usual time of 3.30 pm..........the main reason for
this post is to say that i checked my blood sugar level 2 hours later and it was normal for me...a reading of 122
on my Spanish meter......according to a few others a few more of us did the same and enjoyed the day....
As ive said before....." we are all different" ...Im 77 and still trying to make the most of it!
Happy New Year to all........

Reactions: 3 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Bacon and egg
L: none
D: cabbage, sprouts, leeks, carrots and peas all covered in a lovely blue cheese sauce.
Bloomin lovely