How do we have a low carb Christmas?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Turkey crown, and Mrs DeeJay gets all the stuffing ;) Will steam and/or roast every veg I can find and divide them between us. Gravy .... always tricky. I think 2 tsp buckwheat flour for thickener.
Leftovers become soup, with (I hope) too little carby veg in everything else to matter..
She gets mince pies and Xmas pud and I make a giant chocolate cheesecake for me.
On Boxing Day, to lunch with family. My sister-in-law asked for details of my diet. I have just sent them to her, poor woman. She is a vegetarian (100% organic), my brother is T2 and has given up beer and bread, and my nephew's girlfriend is a coeliac. Cheers.

Reactions: 6 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She is a vegetarian (100% organic), my brother is T2 and has given up beer and bread, and my nephew's girlfriend is a coeliac. Cheers.
Lol poor woman indeed. If I were her I think I'd call up the caterers - give THEM the list, then down a stiff vodka!

Reactions: 2 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Not for me. Christmas is special & I'll be indulging in whatever I want. I'll eat more meat & veg than others at the table. But I fully intend to have roasties, parsnips & a portion of Christmas pudding too. It's one day. I won't go mad with chocolates, mince pies, Christmas cakes or the likes. But, a traditional Christmas dinner will be a much welcome & anticipated treat. A few glasses of red wine will knock my numbers down, and I make sure I always stop eating when I'm full. I don't want to make myself ill. Back to sensible eating on Boxing Day though. I'm able to jump back onto my usual eating plan, which is portion size & lower carb, but I have good glycaemic control now, and would thing twice about over indulging if my blood glucose levels were still too high. When I was diagnosed, my BG was in the mid 20's. I wouldn't want to go back into double figures under any circumstances. Each to their own regarding their diet this Christmas.

Respect to anyone who plans on keeping to their low carb eating plan. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The thing I'm planning to indulge in is a portion of sage and onion stuffing. I love the stuff and have cut it out whilst on this diet. Can't see 1 small portion breaking the bank.

Reactions: 4 people

woodgnome

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've only started lchf this year so probably there have been threads about this before but I can't find any through "search".

How do you all deal with the temptations? Christmas dinner, I guess just leave out the roast potatoes and stuffing, have plenty of turkey and veg. None of the usual "stuff your face with sweets in front of the TV" :( Pudding?

Does everyone stick to their diets or have cheats?

Ideas and suggestions on how other T2, no meds, deal with it please x

There are plenty of ideas in the diabetes cookbooks & they detail Cals, Carbs etc as well. There are recipes for all meals & A christmas cookbook as well. I made mini christmas puddings & some mince pies. You just need to be aware of what you are eating & be sensible. Go for a walk about an hour after your meal , this will help your blood glucose.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am impressed that so many people can consider having a day off LC.
Seriously.
One portion of potatoes recently knocked me sideways, and left me feeling sleepy, floppy, fractious and 'not right'.
The thought of stuffing quality street, alcohol, roasties, pud and assorted cakes and treats would have me unconsious - and I am not exaggerating.

But then, I kind of think that is (for me) a REALLY GOOD THING.
It provides me with a set of ready made motivations to stay on the wagon or hop straight back on if I have a blip.

Kudos to all of you who can hop off and on and enjoy it!

Reactions: 14 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am impressed that so many people can consider having a day off LC.
Seriously.
One portion of potatoes recently knocked me sideways, and left me feeling sleepy, floppy, fractious and 'not right'.
The thought of stuffing quality street, alcohol, roasties, pud and assorted cakes and treats would have me unconsious - and I am not exaggerating.

But then, I kind of think that is (for me) a REALLY GOOD THING.
It provides me with a set of ready made motivations to stay on the wagon or hop straight back on if I have a blip.

Kudos to all of you who can hop off and on and enjoy it!
I am sorry to say I am normally ill at Xmas. I used to have a day off from the tin of chocs. Well at least half of them over a period of 3 days.
I slept through my days off. Drank through the rest of the Christmas break. Ill for weeks.
I've promised myself a better xmas now the kids are alert too. I'll try and low carb but if I fall off the wagon I'll endeavour to get straight back on it.
I'm scared of getting neuropathy so I'll still be testing etc.
I don't miss most of the Christmas food. Seeing the kids excited will be good enough for me. They aren't asking for food just toys! Maybe I should take a leaf out of their book. Relax and be happy, whatever your plans. :)

Reactions: 7 people

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Brunneria - 1 portion of potatoes? I seem to remember pie and chips, fish and chips and the worlds best chips. This is what happens to people's memories when you make them very very jealous :p:p:p:p

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria - 1 portion of potatoes? I seem to remember pie and chips, fish and chips and the worlds best chips. This is what happens to people's memories when you make them very very jealous :p:p:p:p

:D:D:D

Oh yes, I ate them all! :wacky: (and enjoyed them)

But just the first portion knocked me sideways, the others (one portion a day) all just kept me rolling about feeling sorry for myself.

The thought of eating all that in ONE day... blimey... I might as well just cancel the day and wake up with a hangover on the 28th!

:D:D:D

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Christmas day for us will be spent with our eldest granddaughter and her partner at their new home with also our daughter, son-in-law and other granddaughter They are so excited about doing a family Christmas and it will be the tradition turkey with all the trimmings so we will have that with roasties and all and enjoy every mouthful. Pudding and mince pies don't bother me so I can easily give them a miss usually to full up with dinner to eat a dessert but I am sure there will be a naughty treat to tempt me during the day sometime. Husband is T2 as well so he will love the opportunity to have a day off from lower carb

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've just worked out my basic Christmas Day menu and Asda shopping order:

Breakfast: Lidl protein roll split and lightly toasted, topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Champagne or Prosecco. Possibly a high meat content chipolata or two because we've got guests that day who might not like my breakfast - its up to them.
Lunch: Prosecco and maybe a touch of nice red. Maybe a few nuts to keep me going - selection of brazils, walnuts, pecans, hazlenuts and macadamias.
Christmas Dinner: Big plate of rib of beef served with a selection of veg - choice of brussel sprouts, maybe a roast baby parsnip roasted in goosefat, steamed brussel sprouts, a couple of little carrots (chantenay?) sauteed in butter, roasted cauli+broccoli+baby fennel, roasted whole garlic bulbs, runner beans, red wine gravy and (if I feel deprived) one Delia Smith recipe Yorkshire Pudding. (I have to cook these because husband, guests and dogs will feel deprived if I don't.) Red wine

Dessert (an hour or so after dinner): Home made low carb Baked New York style lemon cheesecake

Prosecco

More Prosecco

Nibbles: Brazil nuts dipped in good chocolate, home made fresh cream brandy or jack daniels or rum truffles (or all three), home made coffee and walnut fudge. I'm not the worlds greatest for making sweets 'n' sweet things but I'm going to have a go cos Christmas wouldn't be Christmas for me without some truffles.

Yet more Prosecco

Supper (if required) Home baked ham, loads and loads of different cheeses, pigs in blankets, cuke & celery to dip in to pate, . I am experimenting with a no added sugar cranberry sauce to go with the ham.

Even more Prosecco

Boxing Day:
Brunch: Eggs, Bacon, low carb chipolatas (no Prosecco for breakfast today :( )
Dinner: Roast garlic and herb chicken served very warm (not hot) with loads of salady stuff and ham and cheeses and pate
Supper: As Christmas Day.

I really don't feel that I will be missing out on anything. There will be other more carby stuff available for those that want it such as goosefat roast spuds, Christmas pud, mince pies, brandy butter, bread and a mountain of normal sweets - but from remembering how I felt last Christmas (and the one before that) I really don't think I'll have any because I never want to feel like that again.

Reactions: 10 people

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last year was my first Christmas with diabetes and I'll probably do the same this year as last, which is not really have anything I wouldn't ordinarily have. I admire people who can have a day off but I just know if I tried that I'd end up stressing about my BS levels and probably feel lousy!

For me, this means the following for Xmas:

Breakfast
Bacon and Eggs

Lunch:
Prawns and Mayo to start
Turkey with pigs in blankets, sprouts, leeks, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, kale, cavalo nero, roasted celariac and a splash of gravy (no stuffing or potatoes)
Strawberries and fresh cream

I'll probably have a bit of 90% or 99% chocolate as a treat but that will be it (I'm allergic to tree nuts so that treat has never been available to me!)

Reactions: 12 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm round my dad's for Christmas Day and will have normal Christmas dinner minus potato and parsnip. Am going to have a go at making this chocolate log (roulade) for pudding: https://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2009/03/gluten-free-tiramisu-roulade-and-off-to-china.html
I intend to stick to LCHF as far as possible but won't be beating myself up if the odd shortbread biscuit gets munched with a cuppa (though will be making batches of similar to take with me when visiting others).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Well, I hope that makes a better stuffing than my attempt with a lidl protein roll. It can't be any worse.

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only started lchf this year so probably there have been threads about this before but I can't find any through "search".

How do you all deal with the temptations? Christmas dinner, I guess just leave out the roast potatoes and stuffing, have plenty of turkey and veg. None of the usual "stuff your face with sweets in front of the TV" :( Pudding?

Does everyone stick to their diets or have cheats?

Ideas and suggestions on how other T2, no meds, deal with it please x

Hi Copey, I started the same kind of thread last year as it was my first Xmas as a diagnosed Type 2. As I've done well (so far) on my blood sugar control, I plan to have a few potato treats this year. I've completely lost my appetite for sweet things so won't be touching any desserts out of choice. But I'm going to have a couple of roast spuds and stuffing and the same as last year, I'll get on the treadmill an hour later for a 10 walk and watch the blood sugars come right down!

I am more relaxed this year but not so much that I make foolish choices. I have a dear colleague who eats high carb after high carb then gets disillusioned that her hba1c is so high. I'm glad (actually relieved) that I have such incredible restraint and am not sure where it comes from!

For any newbie, I'd suggest a slight pig out if you can get moving around soon after to lower the effects of the carbs. Also, only pig out if you're sure you can break the spell soon afterwards. I gave up chocolate as soon as I was diagnosed as I knew from experience that I'm a chocoholic. One taste and I'll be back in it's thrall. So no chocolate for me ever again and these days, I'm not even sorry.

Have some treats, make sure you can recover from them mentally and physically. :D

Reactions: 8 people

copey399

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Copey, I started the same kind of thread last year as it was my first Xmas as a diagnosed Type 2. As I've done well (so far) on my blood sugar control, I plan to have a few potato treats this year. I've completely lost my appetite for sweet things so won't be touching any desserts out of choice. But I'm going to have a couple of roast spuds and stuffing and the same as last year, I'll get on the treadmill an hour later for a 10 walk and watch the blood sugars come right down!

I am more relaxed this year but not so much that I make foolish choices. I have a dear colleague who eats high carb after high carb then gets disillusioned that her hba1c is so high. I'm glad (actually relieved) that I have such incredible restraint and am not sure where it comes from!

For any newbie, I'd suggest a slight pig out if you can get moving around soon after to lower the effects of the carbs. Also, only pig out if you're sure you can break the spell soon afterwards. I gave up chocolate as soon as I was diagnosed as I knew from experience that I'm a chocoholic. One taste and I'll be back in it's thrall. So no chocolate for me ever again and these days, I'm not even sorry.

Have some treats, make sure you can recover from them mentally and physically. :D

Wise words KittyKat x Chocolate never bothers me unless there's a box of them around and then I can't stop so we just don't have them in the house. Always was part of the Christmas shopping though- the big tin of Roses plus the After Eight Mints but will give them a miss now. I'll have a roast potato and some stuffing but I can't pig out these days as my stomach has shrunk and I know I couldn't eat the size of meal that I used to. Just as well we're not having visitors so we don't feel obliged to have masses of everything just for decoration :D

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have got into the habit of not eating high carb foods, so really do not feel the need to have them at Christmas.
Any gifts of sweets and chocs or mince pies etc will be turned right round and given to peop,e who can eat them. We have an asylum seekers centre and a centre for homeless people nearby who are happy to receive them.
Christmas day will be treated as special, with a late breakfast of eggs and smoked salmon. Dinner will be some really good quality meat, venison, or goose, with lots of different veg. The rest of the family can have the spuds and stuff, I just don't miss them. There will be homemade ice cream and cheesecake for those that want, and the biggest assortment of cheeses ever. I might have a beer or glass of wine. Snack on nuts. Then back to normal low carb eating Boxing day. That for me is preferable to the sluggishness felt after the overindulgence of the past that tended to go on at least until 2nd January.

Reactions: 5 people