How do yo cope

Nicolii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is anyone else out there struggling socially in relation to their diabetes? Like my own family members are fine with it but almost everyone else out there makes fun of me due to my dietary requirements. Some ppl make fun of me cos I always order a salad or steamed veges as my main meal. They act like I'm super strict with my meals like I'm depriving myself cos they're all eating high carb meals. I get criticism everywhere. Ppl will say things like -
I don't believe you have diabetes, you just want to be skinny.
If you have this ice cream you won't put any weight on.
And why do you need to lose weight?
Carbs are very important. You're not eating any. You are depriving yourself.
I'm worried about your eating, you don't eat enough carbs, here's a chocolate cake.
And why don't you eat chips? Are you special or something.
You won't catch a disease if you have a chip.
I don't understand why ppl diet (whilst looking at me).
You know that salad dressing has more calories than this pasta?
Why can't you eat ice Cream?
That's ok, we can eat our food it's her loss, she's missing out on this food, snob.

When I say I have diabetes problems/sugar problems they don't believe me. Then many ppl will deliberately shove food on my plate cos they can't handle my healthy eating. They see me as a disease cos I can't eat the same as them. They won't accept my explanation of my health condition. They just label me as a health freak snob and then I'm outcast. It happens with almost everyone. I can no longer eat out. Some ppl whisper to each other and say I'm extreme and dumb. Others just roll their eyes and laugh. So far I haven't met anyone who accepts my condition and it makes me feel terrible.

Reactions: Crystalwand

Nicolii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh let's not forget the ones who rub it in your face - ooo this (junk food) tastes sooo good hahaha- whilst looking at you.

Nicolii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Also, when I do eat out socially there's so many courses and drinks I'm shocked the others eat so much. I feel so abnormal and outcast. If I say 'I don't eat junk food' I have about 6 others on my back about how it's better than the **** I'm eating.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, when I do eat out socially there's so many courses and drinks I'm shocked the others eat so much. I feel so abnormal and outcast. If I say 'I don't eat junk food' I have about 6 others on my back about how it's better than the **** I'm eating.
Seriously ! I can't eat all that food either. !!

Years ago someone bought us a shot. I said I'll have a lemon drop with just the chilled vodka and lemon. No sugar on the lemon. I was told to LIVE A LITTLE. Like sugar on a lemon slice is heaven!!!

People do sometimes mock me and Logan love to tell me how to eat but many many many tell me that the way I eat is why I look so good. So I generally always hear the bad and not the good. Now I focus on the good.

It is annoying. BUT misery loves company. I feel like junk when I eat bad food.

Nicolii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So I guess all I need to do is harden up and say get stuffed. It's better than feeling bad for it like they want you to.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Salt is tho', when your drinking Tequilla. :D

I tell people to get stuffed or something more caustic when they tell me one will not hurt you etc.
Now you're talking?? Slice of avo next to it too!!

So I guess all I need to do is harden up and say get stuffed. It's better than feeling bad for it like they want you to.

I just generally tell people starches carbs and sugar rip my stomach up. And then I ask them if I'm telling them how to eat? Personal choice.

All my clients know I'm diabetic and gluten free as well as low carb. Can't wait for the xmas cookies, breads, cakes and chocolates this year!!! I used to get frustrated as I don't like throwing out food. However I now know my carboholic clients and pass it on to them or just toss. Of course if I pass it on I tell them I'm regiftimg. It's usually not as good as mine when I used to bake haha.

Reactions: Petrolhead276

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Unless like me, you just can't tolerate any carbs, most T2s can have a few carbs.
It all depends what you can personally tolerate or what your glucometer says.

If friends or colleagues cannot accept your lifestyle then they are not your friends and not worth the worry or bother.
I would imagine that some are jealous because all the talk is about you and the rest is peer pressure.

By the way, if eating out, do you ask the staff how your food is cooked or treated. I travel a lot and usually the staff in most places is generally good with regards food.

Most vegetable oils are not conducive to low carb.

Best wishes

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is anyone else out there struggling socially in relation to their diabetes? Like my own family members are fine with it but almost everyone else out there makes fun of me due to my dietary requirements. Some ppl make fun of me cos I always order a salad or steamed veges as my main meal. They act like I'm super strict with my meals like I'm depriving myself cos they're all eating high carb meals. I get criticism everywhere. Ppl will say things like -
I don't believe you have diabetes, you just want to be skinny.
If you have this ice cream you won't put any weight on.
And why do you need to lose weight?
Carbs are very important. You're not eating any. You are depriving yourself.
I'm worried about your eating, you don't eat enough carbs, here's a chocolate cake.
And why don't you eat chips? Are you special or something.
You won't catch a disease if you have a chip.
I don't understand why ppl diet (whilst looking at me).
You know that salad dressing has more calories than this pasta?
Why can't you eat ice Cream?
That's ok, we can eat our food it's her loss, she's missing out on this food, snob.

When I say I have diabetes problems/sugar problems they don't believe me. Then many ppl will deliberately shove food on my plate cos they can't handle my healthy eating. They see me as a disease cos I can't eat the same as them. They won't accept my explanation of my health condition. They just label me as a health freak snob and then I'm outcast. It happens with almost everyone. I can no longer eat out. Some ppl whisper to each other and say I'm extreme and dumb. Others just roll their eyes and laugh. So far I haven't met anyone who accepts my condition and it makes me feel terrible.
That's completely understandable. Remember though that many people have completely irrational ideas or beliefs; and will have no clue about your condition. When I was first diagnosed I was told by two elderly ladies that they knew someone who was diabetic, and he just eat what he liked. The guy would probably have been killing himself. Not only that, but if I didn't eat all these high carb foods I'd "end up in a box". Stupid people to be ignored. Maybe the people you dine with are not real friends if they don't have your real interest at heart.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh let's not forget the ones who rub it in your face - ooo this (junk food) tastes sooo good hahaha- whilst looking at you.
I went on a tour once where one clown kept telling me he'd got a very very sweet tooth.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They don't know what they are talking about

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seriously ! I can't eat all that food either. !!

Years ago someone bought us a shot. I said I'll have a lemon drop with just the chilled vodka and lemon. No sugar on the lemon. I was told to LIVE A LITTLE. Like sugar on a lemon slice is heaven!!!
There was a programme about diabetes on TV fairly recently. Man was having his foot amputated, sadly. The nurse bent over to him and said "and we've but a bit of glucose in your drip for you" like it was some kind of special treat. Too much glucose was the reason he was loosing his foot.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Find new friends. These people aren't friends.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There's an old saying, not much used these days but is quite apt here.

'Don't mock what you don't understand'.

I tend to be a bit gobby so the type of thing you speak of just doesn't happen to me but if it did I would ask why it was so important to someone else to have me join in and eat ****? It did happen to me when I went tee total, though. People looked at me daft when I said I didn't drink and I found that for some people the only thing they could wrap their tiny minds around was when I told them that I just didn't like the taste of it. So it might be you have to play to your audience or get a new audience.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I have found quite the opposite, everyone I know are completely supportive and understanding. I have to agree with @dbr10

Reactions: Guzzler

Nicolii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There's an old saying, not much used these days but is quite apt here.

'Don't mock what you don't understand'.

I tend to be a bit gobby so the type of thing you speak of just doesn't happen to me but if it did I would ask why it was so important to someone else to have me join in and eat ****? It did happen to me when I went tee total, though. People looked at me daft when I said I didn't drink and I found that for some people the only thing they could wrap their tiny minds around was when I told them that I just didn't like the taste of it. So it might be you have to play to your audience or get a new audience.

I think this is a good saying I'll use.

I mean if everyone is ordering ice cream and you can't have it, you must feel pretty stupid. I know I do.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think this is a good saying I'll use.

I mean if everyone is ordering ice cream and you can't have it, you must feel pretty stupid. I know I do.

On the contrary, I do not feel stupid at all. What is stupid about amputation? Or Dialysis? Or a heart attack?

Reactions: Crystalwand

Nicolii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
On the contrary, I do not feel stupid at all. What is stupid about amputation? Or Dialysis? Or a heart attack?
The thing that bothers me is that all these ppl who eat the junk food and drink alcohol regularly, they don't have any health problems at all. Like none. My mother in law is the worst. She is an alcoholic who's body has no intolerances to anything. She is 70 and in amazing health. She talks of me like I'm a hypochondriac. I also happen to be allergic to alcohol and so I'm labelled as having something wrong with me. My mum has diabetes too and ppl treat her like she's a disease.

Nicolii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
But I do agree with you. It's just when I see these healthy slim ppl living a long life and eating ****, I just feel silly.